Article - stevia unsafe?

pixie9

Cathlete
Here's a little article I found today on msnbc.com. Basically the FDA thinks that stevia could affect blood sugar, reproductive, cardiovascular and renal systems. I can't stand the stuff but I know that some of you out there do use it. Some food for thought....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20836014/

Carolyn

But refined sugar, aspertame and sucralose are pefectly acceptable, right?

The FDA is always issuing "warnings" against every natural alternative to pretty much anything.

They warn us against taking herbal suppliments and vitamins while issuing their stamp of approval on many potentially dangerous prescription drugs and harmful chemicals in our foods.

The FDA can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

I have to wonder how much this new information is driven from the sugar industry. Sorry but I just don't trust big corporations anymore.

>I have to wonder how much this new information is driven from
>the sugar industry. Sorry but I just don't trust big
>corporations anymore.

Oh, I know right? Someone has definitely been bought off for sure.

Altough this might not seem like a big deal to most people, it really is part of a greater and potentially serious issue. The FDA is essentially aiming to regulate, and even dictate what foods or medicines we choose to put into our own bodies. They have pushed (and are stilling pushing) to make vitamin suppliments available only through a doctor's prescription! (and can you imagine how much more they would costs!!??)

It all boils down to power and greed.

Scary stuff. }(

Btw, check this out:

http://www.stevia.net/fda.htm

I don't know, I am not a big fan of the FDA. I think they come down on natural remedies, vitamins, etc. pretty hard and they wait a LONG time with any other drugs to even issue a warning. I do think I may have to do with extensive lobbying of the big drug companies, they just have more money than the smaller companies who produce natural remedies and vitamins.

However, I wouldn't go that far that the FDA is in kahutz with the drug companies.

I am just curious based on what studies or what fact, the FDA labels stevia unsafe. I could be wrong, but I don't think the FDA labels aspartame as unsafe and there have been several studies, indicating serious problems with aspartame.

I am into naturopathic and homeopathic medicine and I would prefer it to most other drugs. That being said, just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is automatically safe.

I am with what others said. Think what a dent it would put in the companies that make things like Splendas pocket if people found out there are alternatives. People think that the FDA is all about protecting the commen person and do not get me wrong they do do some good but sometimes they also protect big companies too. Also I think like anything moderation is the key.

If you do not like the taste of Stevia another alternative if Agave nectar. It does have some calories and sugar (I believe like 30 calories and 5 grams of sugar per a serving) but it does taste better than stevia.

What is stevia, I've never heard of it. I avoid anything with aspertaine in it. Call me crazy, but I swear my depression has lifted considerably since I completely quit using that stuff. It may just be a coincidence, but its the only thing I can peg. I've been depressed for years, and then out of the blue began to feel some real relief. This is the only change I've made and didn't do it because I thought it would affect depression. I'm in my forties so I guess hormones could be the real reason. I know I will never use the stuff again just in case. I can't tell you how good it feels not to be depressed.:) ;) :) There may be absolutely no connection, but at least it makes me feel like I have some control over the situation.

Believe me, I hate the FDA as much as the next person. I had just never heard of any negative feedback concerning stevia and I thought I would share.

Carolyn

I have never heard of stevia being unsafe....I would think it is much safer than sugar or artifical sweeteners.

On the other hand, the FDA could care less about you, me, or any human being except for themselves and their pocketbooks!!!! It is really sad the way prescription drugs and other things are pushed onto us. Everyday I see a new drug advertised on tv. That is sad!!! And, people think it is safe because it is "FDA" or "Doctor" approved. The FDA cannot be trusted, IMO.

Sara

Actually, I had heard of some negative side effects but I don't recall where. It wasn't FDA/sugar industry related. I don't like Skeevia one bit, but many people do, and if there is anything out there that might taste good there will always be someone out there to pooh pooh it. It all comes back to moderation.....

I generally ignore the FDA. Like with aspartame. They say it's safe and obviously there is much evidence to the contrary so I totally avoid it. I don't think Carolyn was trying to start a debate on the FDA. It may be that stevia is unsafe, and if that's the case, it's not like it's because of some evil conspiracy with the FDA and the sugar industry! And shouldn't we all be open minded when it comes to something that can affect our health? I don't think your opinions on the FDA should be the only thing to make you conclude that something is safe or not safe. Perhaps there is some merit to the story. I'm not saying there is, but I'm not going to shoot it down because I dislike the FDA either (or because I like stevia and don't want it to be true). When I found out that isolated soy protein (in many of the "fake" meats) was possibly unhealthy, I was bummed and now I try to avoid it. I suppose I could have decided this was a conspiracy started by the meat industry, and I suppose it could be. But I don't care about that! I care more about avoiding something that might cause cancer. I don't *need* isolated soy protein, so it can't hurt to avoid it, even it there is some kind of evil conspiracy afoot and it is actually not bad for me.

I'm not saying we should all quit using stevia immediately, I'm just saying don't be so quick to judge, certainly not based on hunches and emotion. Like another poster, I just use agave nectar on those rare occasions that I sweeten something.

Amy

Since stevia has been used for centuries in South America, and for decades in Japan, with no ill effects, I will still use it (but prefer agave nectar).

What are these unnamed 'literature reports' that are mentioned? Not much detail, is there?

There was a study years ago suggesting that the steviosides in stevia may be problematic (I forget the details), but those studies were not done with whole stevia, or the regular stevia extracts, but the isolated steviosides, which is not a form in which it is consumed, or in quantities that are normally consumed.

The FDA is definitely seems to go out of its way to protect the right of powerful food companies to sell substances with safety concerns (like other artificial sweeteners) while trying to squash more natural alternatives (which can't be protected by patent, and won't net the big companies much profit).

Kathryn (or anyone else),

Have you noticed what the recommended serving size is? This has actually been a concern of mine for awhile. I don't know if they still label it this way, but a few years ago my friend bought a small bottle and used it all in about a month. She later realized that it was supposed to have like 500 servings or something. She got worried that there might be ill effects if she used it in such large servings, so she went back to sugar.

Maybe they've changed the serving size since and it's not an issue. But I thought I'd ask if anyone else noticed this.

Amy

The FDA has specifically stated that "ONLY A DRUG CAN CURE A DISEASE." That alone is enough for them to loose all credibility in my eyes, although there are many more reasons.

Further more, there has never been any confirmed reports of someone exerpiencing any dangerous ill-effects to Stevia. The herb has been used in Asia and South America as a natural sweetener for thousands of years. This by the way, is coming from someone who personally doesn't care for the taste of Stevia, and only uses sugar or honey.

The same obviously cannot be said about Aspartame, Sucralose or even Caffeine - all of which I have experienced some degree of adverse reactions to (Aspertame literally makes me sick to my stomach).

>Have you noticed what the recommended serving size is? This
>has actually been a concern of mine for awhile. I don't know
>if they still label it this way, but a few years ago my friend
>bought a small bottle and used it all in about a month. She
>later realized that it was supposed to have like 500 servings
>or something. She got worried that there might be ill effects
>if she used it in such large servings, so she went back to
>sugar.

It really depends on the product. Some powdered stevia is cut with something else, so the serving size is larger. The all-stevia powders have very tiny serving sizes (and a minuscule scoop to measure them). Liquids are usually just a few drops for a serving (like sweetening tea).

I can't imagine that your friend would be able to take in much over 2-3 servings at once, because the taste becomes unpleasant if you use too much, even for those who usually don't mind it. And I don't think that 2-3 servings at a time would have any harmful effects.

As with anything, one shouldn't overdo it, but I'm not sure what a maximum daily intake would be (or if there even is one). That's what I'd be concerned with more than specific servings.

>I can't imagine that your friend would be able to take in much
>over 2-3 servings at once, because the taste becomes
>unpleasant if you use too much, even for those who usually
>don't mind it. And I don't think that 2-3 servings at a time
>would have any harmful effects.

I couldn't believe it either! But she admitted that she used a ton. She said she didn't really like it, but that was the only way she could get it sweet enough. I have no idea how she was able to tolerate it, but she really did consume that much. Obviously, she is a total sweet fiend. The amount of sugar she uses in her tea and her oatmeal is scandalous! And I have shared desserts with her in restaurants that she felt weren't sweet enough. Has anyone ever said that???

Amy

Thanks for sharing, Carolyn! It's always great to get information, I am familiar with stevia but I don't use it, too sweet for me.

If it wasn't for people here, sharing information, some problems or recalls would have gone unnoticed. As long as we know that there could be a problem, we can do research and make up our own opinion.

Thanks again for being so well informed and bringing those kinds of issues to our attention!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.