Art Of strength Providence or the Kettlebell way

marymac

Cathlete
I am loving kettlebells. Thanks fo my fellow Cathe fans for aharing about these. I have all 3 Lauren Brooks, Vol 1 & 2 Iron Core, plus Iron core bootcamp and warrior. Jillian Michaels and 2 of Bob Harper and Angie Miller's one. Lauren Brookes is my favorite. I keep reading about AOS Providence and am wondering do I need it if I am really getting into these. I tend to like to have the best, like Cathe and am wondering if I am realy missing out not having this one.

Another question, is does anyone just do kettlebells and no traditional weights or combo. Right now, I am doing kettlebells 3x a week and can finally see some abs after having 3 kids and turning 40, that's why I'm so excited! My fear is I might lose strength if I give up regular Cathe weights. Should I be mixing them.

Any suggestions would be great.

I think AoS is different enough to justify having it. I went with the kettlebell way since it says it's a bridge to the next workouts (newport, firepower) plus the set is a bit cheaper on totalfitnessdvds and with 10% off. If you've been doing kettlebells awhile maybe you might want to consider newport? i heard it's a very tough workout.

I've been doing only kettlebells the last couple of months, with some of Jillian's 6 pack thrown in, and I feel I haven't really lost any strength. I feel my planks are more solid and I am able to do pushups on my toes better. Right now I'm like you and totally in love with kettlebells (but it might just be a fling!), but I'm thinking of sticking to it and some bodyweight workouts and maybe some Tonique mat work thrown in. I'm also thinking Insanity/Asylum would be good with kettlebells. Maybe if you want to keep regular weight work in sub one of your kettlebell workouts for a full body weight workout once a week (high reps, musclemax, power hour..workouts like that)

btw, wouldn't it be great if Cathe made some kettlebell workouts? one time I actually had a dream Cathe announced her next series would be kettlebells!

Last edited:
I too think that the AOS workouts would be good additions to your KB workouts. I own most of the AOS workouts and I think that my favorites are Santa Monica (with Ropes Gone Wild) and Fire Power. I also like Newport and Providence alot but they are not my favorites. I also have all of Lauren Brooks workouts. I love the TRX and KB workout in Vol 3. I do KB rotations but I also do traditional weight lifitng. I have never lost any strength when I do just my KB rotations.

I also agree that an Insanity rotation would be good to do along with your KB workouts.

I think its subjective on style. I ended up selling my Lauren Brooks because I love AOS so much more. I also have Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp and at first I was thinking they were using a very tiny bell, but dang...that workout rung me in a really good way! Another good one is Ilaria's Athletica with kettlebells instead of dumbells. I go in spurts though, sometimes all I want to do is kettlebells and my TRX in combo with outdoor stuff. Then its all traditional lifting. I do think switching it up is good.

I love the AOS Providence and Newport, and think you should also try Paul Katami Ketttlebell Dvd's...AwEsOmE!!:p

Hi,
When I first started I read everything I could find and searched YouTube and forums.
I'm never disappointed with AOS. Even last night when I tried their DiVa workout from a posted breakdown that I got from a forum ( can't remember which ) I was impressed.
I was trying to see if I could enjoy kb from paper and yup! I do! Gymboss, workbook and black eyed peas it was!
I don't have Santa Monica or Black Jack yet! I'm curious about them.
Providence is awesome and pleasant to deal with.
I'm in-love with Firepower.
Curious about Strength in motion.

It's terrible that not only is he good at marketing but that his stuff is pure awesomeness!

Hi,

I don't have Santa Monica or Black Jack yet! I'm curious about them.

Curious about Strength in motion.

It's terrible that not only is he good at marketing but that his stuff is pure awesomeness!

I too love AOS workouts. I have both Santa Monica and Black Jack. Both of these include ropes gone wild. I often do these workouts in my yard with the rope anchored to my basketball pole. I have never done the Strength in Motion KB program but I too would be curious to hear from those who have completed it

If I can only have one, which would you recommend? Santa Monica or black jack? Is Black jack worth it? I thought he said he didn't think ropes would require an individual DVD before.

I have both but I would recommend Santa Monica. Santa Monica can be done with ropes or without ropes and with or without ropes you get an excellent workout. Black Jack also has two workouts- one with kettlebells and the other without kettlebells. The focus in Black Jack is definitely on ropes.

Another question, is does anyone just do kettlebells and no traditional weights or combo. Right now, I am doing kettlebells 3x a week and can finally see some abs after having 3 kids and turning 40, that's why I'm so excited! My fear is I might lose strength if I give up regular Cathe weights. Should I be mixing them.

Here is a great answer from the AOS website regarding kettlebells vs. traditional weights. He states in the video that you lift weights and move kettlebells. He looks at it from strength (traditional weights) vs. efficiency (kettlebells) and that they should be used in conjunction with each other.

http://www.artofstrength.com/video.php

I workout with both kettlebells and weights and many times in the same workout.

Thanks everyone!!! My birthday is coming so I will have to add this one to my list. I'm excited! Great advice!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.