arm in cast...what do i do?!?!?!

seakix

hi all,

i recently broke my pinkie and had to have surgery, since i crushed my bone, but im now stuck as to hoe to workout. i have a hard cast on that covers my ring and pinkie fingers and goes up to my elbow. i can only grasp the smallest of weights with this hand.

i was on a good groove, but ever since my surgery on 4/9/08 i havent done much and i feel like the weight is coming back on and im losing the little muscle i was gaining!!!

can anyone suggest some workouts that are compatible with a cast???

CC

Are you allowed to do cardio? How about lying floor work where you can work your legs with ankle weights, do AB work, possibly core work (planks) if you can get in a prone poistion. Can you get on all fours down on your elbows to do hamstring/glute work? How about spinning bike or elliptical hanging on with one hand? Good Luck and hope you heal very quickly! Injuries are no fun!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Sounds like you could still walk, power walk or run, either outside or on a treadmill. Probably also still hoist a barbell onto your shoulders, lighter rather than heavier, and do squats, lunges, plie squats, etc for the lower body.

Upper body may be out for a while and there's nothing you can do about it, so don't worry about it, let that anxiety go. Once you can lift again, since muscles have memory, you'll get your strength back quite quickly.

Clare

i can still do cardio but then my cast gets really tight fron the blood pumping. i did core and leg work (not planks - too much pressure on the arm) but is walking running my only option? i dont have a gym membership so i might just try the step dvds instead. thank you!

Hi seakix,

I wouldn't recommend doing step - your biomechanics are not the same with a cast, and if you were to fall, you might not be able to break your fall properly. It sounds rough, but I would honestly stick to walking, some core and lower body work.

The time will pass and before you know it you'll be out of the cast.

Good luck.

Stebby

Hi CC,

Sorry to hear about your injury!!! I broke my wrist a few years ago, so I went through the same questions of how to keep working out.

Step really isn't a good idea - as previously mentioned, your balance isn't the same right now. But low impact aerobics or walking would work.

At the time, I belonged to the Y, so I used the treadmill (holding onto the side of the rails) and walked on the track. Then I did lower body and abs.

Don't try to do weights with your good arm - it will really mess up your balance!

The biggest challenge I faced was - how do I tie my shoes????? Luckily I discovered there are walking/aerobic shoes with velcro! That was a lifesaver for me!

Hope you recover quickly!

Carolyn

wow! thx! i never thought about balance being an issue. i feel like such a bump on a log because im normally so active...grrrr....x( sigh...ok walking it is - w/ lower and abs.

thx everyone!!:+

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.