Aparently I'm a total workout snob. :(

janie1234

Cathlete
Ay ya yay! I can never win. I've been taking a local cardio/weights class and a low impact class in town. For 2 reasons. One it is walking distance from my house and two to get me out of the house and working out with other people. As anti social as I am I still crave human interaction. I've come to realize that the only time I can ever say I was my strongest was by working out with Cathe and coming here to this forum for my dose of support and encouragement.

Here is the thing, . . everyone in class keeps calling me a "show off" and a "snob." To my face. They try to sound funny but the other day I caught some women giving me the evil stink eye. Seriously!? It is starting to get irritating. Very irritating. The weights in class only go up to 12 lbs and my heart rate is rarely up there. I keep saying "Cathe this and Cathe that, . . " that she is the reason I am as fit as I am and truthfully I'm just recently getting back from a 5 month hiatus, . .I'm hardly at my "CATHE PRIME STATUS." I mean Cathe is the reason I can do push ups and pull ups. I give her all the credit. I don't walk around class saying "I'm the stuff." I even hide in the back so I can jump higher and lift heavier so no one will see me. Now I'm getting guff from people saying I'm trying to show off and beat the teachers (yes, I can lift heavier than her) but I'm not. Besides I didn't know you could beat a teacher in class. Shesh, . . I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. Should I compromise my workout or just quit altogther and just work out at home?

If it's something you enjoy doing then I'd say stick with it. Forget about what people are saying to you, because you don't owe them an explanation. You are doing this for you and not for anyone else, so jump higher and lift heavier weights. I choose to workout at home now b/c I'd rather put my money to Cathe's videos than in gym memberships. I do enough socializing at work and haven't found anybody I can call a true friend.

Don't let it get to you and keep doing what your doing :D

I think you should not worry about what other people think. Really...what does it matter? Clearly they're jealous of you. If you enjoy the classes and want to keep going then keep going. When someone tries to talk s*&* to you, smile sweetly and say, "If you say so" then walk away.....it's their problem, let them deal with it. You just get your workout on. :cool:

Oh Janie, I'm so sorry you're going through this frustrating and sad situation. People in general don't handle uncomfortable situations well, and it's even worse when they feel like they don't measure up to you. YOU, however, are fabulous! YOU have worked hard to accomplish your current fitness abilities and you should be very proud of yourself!! Rock on, girl!! I don't think you should ever compromise your workouts, you should continue to find new ways and weights to challenge yourself with pride! Is there a more advanced class you could take? Could you do more reps with the lighter weights? Could you talk to your instructor, in private, about ways to make the workout harder? Find a way to make it work for yourself, that is, IF you really want to. Is there maybe another group of people you can meet with to workout elsewhere? A walking or running 'club'? A different gym, even though your current gym is walking distance? Fellow Cathletes that live in your city? Keep us posted and please don't feel badly about all that you've accomplished because of small petty people!!

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

-Marianne Williamson

I agree with all of the above! If you get some enjoyment and benefit from the classes you are taking, then keep going and don't worry about everyone else. They probably feel like you are an outsider coming in to "take over" their class. They also have thought themselves the best of the best all this time - until you came in! They are feeling intimidated by you.

If this is causing you to not get a good workout and some enjoyment out of the experience, then go back to what you were doing before. Of course, having said that, I feel like why give them the satisfaction? Do what YOU want to do! Forget the others!

I'm like you Janie, I'd rather be with the one person who isn't fake and who is honest and a true friend than to hang around with people who are shallow. That's why I don't socialize much. I don't do all that fake surface conversation and stuff.

That's why I like hanging out here, too!

Anyway, don't be put off because you work out with the best instructor out there and can exercise circles around everyone else, not to mention, you're probably fitter and healthier, too!

Hey, would they sneer at someone who could not keep up? Of coure not. People think everyone has to be on an equal line because it is a class. If you are not disrupting the class by doing something completely different which would be rude, then go for it. So what if you are working out at a more intense level. That is one of the factors for getting your positive results. Plus, I think they lower expectations by limitingthe weight selection. Classes should offer at least 15 and 20's. Have fun and try not to notice them. There are no rules that you have stay submaximal in your effort to please the others......Good Luck

You probably have run thru all the answers, but I think it's an interesting predicament,

you could keep going just for the social part, first time I ever heard the "good" girl in the back, maybe some of those other girls could use the motivation, stand where you want & "jump higher"

Find a more advanced class? Ask the instructor, maybe she has one or can start one.

What I really want to know is how many of those girls went home & looked up Cathe.com online to find out what you were talking about... :) really, if you talk it up, and are doin' the business in class, do you really think they really think you're a snot?

Linda

Y'all are too nice. I'd just tell those ladies that they are too weak and lazy and maybe should switch to a beginner's class!! But I'm just that type of person who gives it right back, lol.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

-Marianne Williamson

Morningstar,

This is really beautiful. I'm interested to know if this is from a book.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

I am thinking you are messing with the self-perception of the people in the class, this is why... In most of my classes I find that most people want to get away with as little work as possible while wondering why they don't get the results they are looking for. There becomes this sort of group think that 5's are heavy and that is the most we can lift. I have this new student in my class who is willing to try anything and I just love her. My classes like to stick to 3 and 5's and yesterday I was really going into depth why you would want to lift to failure. Bless this woman, she picked up the 15's just to see what they would feel like. She then settled on 12's so she could do the right amount of reps. I was so excited I can hardly tell you. The rest of the class (who she is personal friends with) just sat there with their jaws on the floor using their 5's. I could tell that the others in the class were debating increasing their weight because she was willing to lead the way. Next week I am sure she will pick up the 12's and hopefully the other students will venture up to 8. She is my new pied piper.

So my take...if you don't like the class it may not be the place for you. Any one on these boards derives a lot of pleasure from working out and I would hate to see that taken from you. On the other side you may be influencing people in that class to work harder and improve. These are the people who will quietly watch you and follow you and not tell you how much you mean to them. You may be changing their lives without even knowing it.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Shayne

Hey Janie - If you're doing this for the social value, I would find another class/gym. These chicks sound like ***holes.

Many years ago, I joined some pretty well established step classes at a local gym and got complimented (from the instructor and some students) on how quickly I caught on to the moves. Nicer people are out there...these chicks ain't worth your time. ;)

Beautifully put, Morningstar!!

I agree with all of the other comments. Heck, I think you should strut on up to the FRONT of the class and bring in your own heavy weights!! :eek::p:p

Maybe the next time they make some rude comment, ask them what they hoped to accomplish by saying that! What's their point?? Betcha they won't have a good answer! :D

Have fun and keep on rockin' your bad self, girl!!!

Pam

Here is the thing, . . everyone in class keeps calling me a "show off" and a "snob." To my face. They try to sound funny but the other day I caught some women giving me the evil stink eye.

Are you sure that they really aren't just being funny? Maybe it's their causal way of letting you know that they admire you for being so much more advanced than they are. Why not try to be friendly and helpful? You can teach them how to get where you are, fitness wise, and make some friends in the process.

As for the woman giving you the "stink eye".... that's your perception. You can't assign blame to someone else for how you let something affect you. Maybe she was near sighted and had to squint to see your good form. Just a thought!

I always prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. :)

Right on, Gayle

Hey Janie - If you're doing this for the social value, I would find another class/gym. These chicks sound like ***holes.

Many years ago, I joined some pretty well established step classes at a local gym and got complimented (from the instructor and some students) on how quickly I caught on to the moves. Nicer people are out there...these chicks ain't worth your time. ;)

Time to find another gym/class.

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here. If everyone in the class is "suspicious" perhaps it's not because they are weak, lazy or a**holes. Perhaps you've joined a class that is too beginner or intermediate a level for your needs. I agree with the idea of socializing, but if everyone else is at one level and you are at another, you can't expect them to come up to your pace. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. If I was a beginnner or even intermediate exerciser and in a group of equally leveled others, and an advanced person came in to the class, I can see where that could cause some discomfort. I actually was in that situation once and the person in question would always march to front and center of the room and it came off very much like she was trying to show off (actually, I sincerely believe she was, because she had a smug smile on her face the whole time and would look around to see who was watching her!). I'm sure that is not the case here, but do consider where they are coming from. You may, intentionally or not, be intimidating the heck out of them. To call them lazy is unfair - they made the effort to be there and they are trying. It is not for us to judge their efforts any more than you want them judging your intentions. I would simply find a class more suitable to your level.

I always prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. :)

Thanks everyone!

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. After all I'm quite shy and people mistake it for rudeness so I know what it is like to be misunderstood.

Today 2 women behind me actually confronted me and said that I should not try to out shine the teacher and that it was rude. That I should look for an advanced class and not a low impact class. I still break out the "Cathe made me strong" excuse but that comment really hit me below the belt. I don't know if I should quit because I don't want them to win but it also hurtful. I tried to brush it off and say I have to work out harder because I'm training for a tri in 2011. Then some of the women got together in a group and started talking about how the class was supposed to be called "Silver Sneakers" and not "low impact." Gosh, . . .and my husband wonders why I'm anti social.

If I was a beginnner or even intermediate exerciser and in a group of equally leveled others, and an advanced person came in to the class, I can see where that could cause some discomfort.

It is not for us to judge their efforts any more than you want them judging your intentions. I would simply find a class more suitable to your level.

Hmmm, . . .thanks NY25 but I don't understand why an intermediate/advanced exerciser in a beginner class would make people uncomfortable? That sorta stinks.

What if I was new to Yoga but more flexible and fit than other beginners because I took ballet as a teen. Would I be expected not to stretch as much as other beginners? Just because I'm flexible does not mean I know Yoga.

Thing is I totally don't judge their efforts. It may sound mean but I don't give a rip about their efforts. I'm there for me not them. It is about my workout not theirs. Right?

Ignore the entire lot
Keep going if the class is beneficial to your goals.
You dont need anyones approval (of grief for that matter!)

I wish I lived near ya, I would come just to aggrevate them:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.