Anyone Try Diurex??

pebblesus

Cathlete
Just picked it up from the CVS.. tupically not into that kind of stuff.. but it said for water retension and bloat (and it was on sale) so I couldn't help it..
active ingrediants are caffine and magnesium salicylate..

Anyone try it? WOuld it help for long term water retension or is it just a quick/temporary fix??

Why did you get this stuff??? Because you are retaining water, because you want to fit in your skinny jeans or because you want to change the number on your scale?

I'd be really careful with that stuff. It is nothing to monkey around with.
Diuretics are similar to laxatives in that the person *thinks* they are losing weight, when indeed all they are losing is vital fluids. Diuretics not only elevate your heart rate leading to heart arrhythmias and dizziness. Depending of the amount of fluid lost after the use of these pills you also mess up your balance of electrolytes within your body, which is another way you end up just asking for heart arrhythmias. In the end, you also regain back all of the fluid that you lost in the beginning and the body retains more water to try and account for what was taken out.

Diuretics are most commonly prescribed to patients with high blood pressure, edema or congestive heart failure. They are NOT intended to be used as a means of losing weight and can have serious side effects including increased levels of uric acid in the blood and hypokalaemia (low levels of potassium in the blood). Hypokalaemia has mild symptoms such as dizziness, headaches and muscle weakness. However, severe hypokalaemia can lead to an irregular heartbeat and muscle paralysis.

There are better ways to lose weight! If you are retaining water, try and drink more water. Cottage cheese and pineapple are working really well too - without the risks and side effects. If your water retention is severe, you need to go see a doctor and find the underlying reason for it.

HTH

Last edited:
I agree: don't take this crap. ESPECIALLY not long term.

If you have water retention, figure out what it is from, rather than taking something like this.

If you really need a diuretic for some reason, dandelion is a safer and more gentle way to go (but still, why take one in the first place?)

Carola and Kathryn made some good points and gave you some naturals to use which will be much safer.

There are a myriad of foods that have a natural way of ridding you of "unnecessary" fluids - in other words, they will not dehydrate you - but will maintain what fluids your body really needs. Eating these in addition to adding more water to your diet if you are bloated are healthy.

Taking diruetics are not if not prescribed by a doctor.

Do a google search or search on some of the nutrition websites. You would be surprised at some of the good tasting foods you will find.

I like cucumbers and asparagus - they are part of my regular diet.

Frankly, I stay away from those kinds of things. However, during PMS I bloat up like a balloon. I use gentle herbs to help...three capsules a day is all.

Uva Ursi, horsetail or even dandelion root all work pretty well, as does taking vitamin B6. But I never take it otherwise, just during PMS if I feel I want to and am feeling really bloated...I drink 1 gallon of water a day too.

Hmm.. I got advice on here to try the dandelion tea infusion.. I got it then my bf threw it out (not knowing I got it to use :T
I was thinking it (the Diurex) would help with fluid retension and bloating (no need for weight loss or anything)..
The only real active ingredient was caffine so I figured it would be similar to coffee less the sugar and other chemicals.
I only got it cuz it happenend to catch my attention and it was on sale so I jumped the gun and bought it.
No biggie if yall think it's not worth it.. Ill try the dandelion tea instead (I have tons of dried herbs around here).
Thanks for the advice :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.