Anyone tried Jillian Michaels workouts? or can advise on short rotations?

sme702

Cathlete
I just don't have time to work out an hour (or more) each day!!! Why?? I'm a mom with two kids, works 30+ hours a week and is going thru nursing school (at least another 30 hours per week of time), and my 'extra' time is used up cooking/cleaning/playing with the kids.... I do not have the time to devote to Cathe -- which makes me very sad to say the least.

I looked up this Jillian Michaels and was wondering if anyone has done her "30 Day Shred" video. It looks like something that I could "squeeze" in due to the fact that she has 3 -20 min segments on that video. (They interest me because she has cardio with weights in just 20-30 minutes).

I've been trying to squeeze in a "short" Cathe video when I can and needless to say -- she doesn't have too many that are/can be condensed to the time that I can allow these days. (4DS cardio only, cardio only on C&W, cardio only on Cross Train Xpress -- to name a few)

Please, can anyone help me with a real short rotation or advice on this Jillian DVD?

Thanks!!
Sheryl

Sheryl, I have done some Jillian, but since she isn't my favorite (and others like her very much), I'll leave that part alone ... I find she moves too fast for me to keep my form/work on lifting heavier, and usually wind up with a mild shoulder ache. But that's just me, many people love her and get excellent results, especially the 30 day shred (I have that, plus the Biggest Winner series).

But if you can stretch just a bit beyond 30 minutes a day, you could use Cathe's premixes. There are many that go from 30 minutes to 40. In IMAX2, for instance, you can choose to do just chapters 6-10 or 1-5, or do only the blasts. In the Pyramids, you can go just up or just down the pyramid, which essentially cuts the workload in half. I've gotten great results doing premixes.

The newer premixes show the length of each one, which I also like. Most of my favorites are slightly over 30 minutes (31-39). I've cut a few even shorter by cutting down the abs section or mat exercises, saving them for a weekend. We have so many people who are great at rotations that I'm sure one of them will step in - a favorite for tight on time weeks for me is -
- Pyramid Upper body, up only
- Pyramid Lower body, up only (or Leaner Legs, skipping the abs section)
- Core Max, chapter 2 (the stability ball one)
- Gym Style Biceps, timesaver
- Gym Style Triceps, timesaver
- Pyramid Lower body, up only or Leaner Legs no abs
- Core Max, chapter 2 or Butts/Guts Stability Ball Bonus (20 minutes)

And I make one of my weekdays the Core day, since there is usually a day I have to fly somewhere or drive for four hours and that REALLY feels good :) Also, for core, I use a stability ball as my office chair, and throw in a few quick exercises on that to make up for having only two twenty minute sessions.

You might notice no cardio up there - that's because I make it a priority fo find a day midweek that lets me add in one additional half hour. If that's not possible, though, you can spread the above rotation out over a ten day period rather than a seven day period, and insert two of these plus a rest day.

* IMAX2, chapter 1-5 (easier)
* IMAX2, chapter 6-10 (harder)
* IMAX2, blasts only

And I also sometimes put in Kick/Punch/Crunch, shortened to fit whatever time is available (usually cutting down on the arm work).

If your weekends give you more time, you can move this rotation around so that you can do a favorite cardio on that day, or extend one of your strength sessions.

Last edited:
Sheryl, you got great advice about Cathe's premixes from Shadowpup. I have several of Jillian's DVDs and they are just OK. I tend to agree that she moves pretty fast and can be a bit annoying in a few. But, I will say that I like 30 Day Shred- I used it a bit this summer. It is a nice quick workout- just modify it so you feel safe. She does lunges WAY too fast for me, so I just go my own pace. It made me sweat and I felt like I got a good general workout from it. She sure isn't as thorough as Cathe but I enjoy having it as an option in my exercise DVD collection. HTH and good luck!

I LOVE Jillian's 30 Day Shred!

There are three levels of workouts that are 25 minutes each and each one packs a punch in a short time. If you use these consistently, you will see terrific core benefits. Most of the time I do two levels back to back.

Thanks for the advice girls.

The only thing about some of those premixes is that when you don't get a chance to workout as much as you'd like (sometimes only 2-3x week) those premixes can be pretty hard. I think they are even harder when your mind is not on it (its more on what laundry needs to be done or what test I have tomorrow that I need to study for).

I'm fighting off the "freshman 15" right now and I HATE it!! I miss exercising!!! I guess I'll do the ones I have been and maybe add in the GS and Pyramids (no IMAX) premixes. Sounds like Jillian is a little too fast paced for a 40 y/o!

Sheryl

Thanks for the advice girls.

The only thing about some of those premixes is that when you don't get a chance to workout as much as you'd like (sometimes only 2-3x week) those premixes can be pretty hard. I think they are even harder when your mind is not on it (its more on what laundry needs to be done or what test I have tomorrow that I need to study for).

I'm fighting off the "freshman 15" right now and I HATE it!! I miss exercising!!! I guess I'll do the ones I have been and maybe add in the GS and Pyramids (no IMAX) premixes. Sounds like Jillian is a little too fast paced for a 40 y/o!

Sheryl

Sheryl~
When I started w/ Cathe I felt the same way about premixs..I wasnt familiar enough with everything...What I did was started using her DVDs "as produced" but just set my timer...
So for instance...On a cardio DVD.... I started and 35 minutes later I did a quick stretc...then I'd do the same DVD from that chapter point on every other day addinng in warm-ups & stretches as I needed... I lifted in between days so I'd do 2 exercises from each body part of the DVd and FF the rest. Its a way to learn all the DVD without feeling liike you missed a pointer or a break.

FYI: I like Jillian in her DVDs far more than on the show... Having said that I have never done a full rotation of her but agree that she moves a bit too quickly for safethy & heavy weight load... I do enjoy her DVDs tho.

I have netflix and just did her Cardio Kickbox workout. It was fun but way too short. Only about 25 minutes. I'm an advanced exerciser and do the entire 30 Day Shred when I use it. It's a tough workout but I use light weights because of the speed of the weight work.

Hi, Sheryl, you've gotten some great advice, may I offer more? Have you considered the Body Blast Timesaver DVD? I bought that one recently because my time for working out became extremely limited and I must say it's a great series! The work outs are a little longer than you have, they vary from 38 to 48 minutes, but they're very thorough and very fun. If you already have the Body Blast series, you might look at how this series is put together and use the vids that way.

Just another suggestion. I did almost no exercise from Sept. to Nov. last year and I missed it, too. That's why I bought Timesaver, I thought it was a good place to start back. Good luck!

anne

I don't know, I got 30 Day Shred for X-Mas and didn't click with it. I don't mind Jiliian, I just didn't care for the workouts. Not a big fan of compound moves. I think there are a lot better alternatives for short workouts as mentioned in previous posts.

i also use the following short premixes
IMAX 3:
1. All 10 Blasts Only - 24 min
2. Step Only - no blasts (incl warm-up and stretch) - 31 min
3. Intervals 1-5 (incl w/u and str) - 35 min
4. Intervals 6-10 (incl. w/u and str) - 37 min

DRLL MAX:

Premix # 1....Timesaver Cardio Blast - 39 Min.
Premix # 3....Scrambled Cardio Blast - 46 min.

BOOT CAMP:
1) Cardio Only
2) Core Only
3) Kickbox Only
4) Upper Body Only
5) Lower Body Only
6) Lower and Upper Body Only
7) Cardio and Lower Body Only

Also as previous suggested I do the 4DS cardio workouts

Have you considered piecing together workouts from various DVD"S to suit the time frame that works for you? I often make my own compilation DVD workouts.

Regina

i also use the following short premixes
IMAX 3:
1. All 10 Blasts Only - 24 min
2. Step Only - no blasts (incl warm-up and stretch) - 31 min
3. Intervals 1-5 (incl w/u and str) - 35 min
4. Intervals 6-10 (incl. w/u and str) - 37 min

DRLL MAX:

Premix # 1....Timesaver Cardio Blast - 39 Min.
Premix # 3....Scrambled Cardio Blast - 46 min.

BOOT CAMP:
1) Cardio Only
2) Core Only
3) Kickbox Only
4) Upper Body Only
5) Lower Body Only
6) Lower and Upper Body Only
7) Cardio and Lower Body Only

Also as previous suggested I do the 4DS cardio workouts

Have you considered piecing together workouts from various DVD"S to suit the time frame that works for you? I often make my own compilation DVD workouts.

Regina

Jillian Michaels

I have 30 day shred. Great fast, thorough workout. I would recommend. Some of her other dvds are too easy.

I would also highly recommend Kelley Coffey-Meyer 30 minutes to fitness. She uses heavy weights and you get a thorough workout. The first workout is shoulders, back, legs and the 2nd is tris/bis/shoulders. Great premixes. She also just came out with 30 minutes to fitness bootcamp, which gets great reviews and a kickbox one.

Lastly, I have Tamilee Webb, The best of Tamilee (buns, abs, & arms) and her I want that body dvd. it is 15 minutes for workout and she is very thorough and knowledgeable.

Good Luck and it's great you are still working out with such a busy schedule.

Mary

I like 30 Day Shred also. I find I need to go lighter on the weights, but if you concentrate on really squeezing the muscle you still get a good benefit. The core work, especially on segments 2 and 3, is great, and you do get through a whole segment in 25 minutes, including the warm-up and cool-down. I feel very well worked out relative to the time spent. Right now this program is really good for me, as I am dealing with knee problems and can't lift heavy, and I feel it is helping me keep my strength.

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.