Anyone take ibuprofen everyday for muscle aches?

melanalyus

Cathlete
I"m working to get back into shape after having my twins.

I am eating clean (3 meals & 3 snacks/day ....limiting carbs to complex variety) and also working out twice day (60 minute advanced aerobics/running in AM & a 4 mile walk in evenings).

I am having a weight loss trend....but sore all the time!!! It's a "good" sore feeling, "achy" not "painful"......but I've learned to take ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day...

Just curious, has anyone done this (short term or long term)?

800mg of Ibuprofen twice a day everyday seems like a lot to me. The kind of aches I get from exercise usually respond to much less medication if I even need it at all. Are you sure there isn't something more going on? That seems like it might be hard on your kidneys. Maybe you should schedule an appointment with your doctor for a thorough check up to make sure something more serious isn't going on.

No, my kidney's are fine & this dose is within a safe limit for me (I'm a pharmacist). My doctor knows I use it. ;)

I'm just curious if anyone else uses ibuprofen regularly when training? I'm gearing up to train for my 1st 1/2 marathon & know that I will be using ibuprofen regularly!!

I usually don't take anything. I sorta like the doms.... for two reasons: 1)because it reminds me how hard i've worked and 2) it lets me know which muscles need a break

Are you feeling the soreness all over or just in a certain muscle group?

I have taken that high of a dose but ONLY per the adviceof my Dr, usually due to some sort of strain NOT for regular aches & pains. I did question her about the high doasge & her explanation was that when you take the usual 2 pills (400mg) that will take care of pain as in a headache but in my case we wanted to get at any inflammation therefore you need the 800mg.
I also was concerned how this would effect my body so I may only take that highof a dose for a week or so. NOT every day though.
Maybe a few rest days are in order? Great job at getting back on track & goodluck :D

I'm glad your doc is okay with it. Good luck with your half!! I'm doing a 5K in May. (I'm still a wee runner :p)

It's normally my legs that are sore (I work them everyday), sometimes my back. The ibuprofen takes the pain away. If I work my arms hard, then my arms hurt. lol

Am I the only one who has DOMs almost everyday? LOL Am I working too hard....or are you not working hard enough? ;);):p:p

Your doctor is correct. At lower doses, ibuprofen is more of a fever reducer. The higher doses are warranted for inflammation.

I do have DOMS most days, but it rotates around my body becasue i'm constantly switching up my workouts. Maybe yours are persisting because you're repeating the same type of workout everyday and are hitting the same muscles again and again without a break? My hipflexers and quads get pretty sore when i go through one of my "cardio freak" weeks :)

Good luck with your marathon!!

I am a cardio freak. :p It's difficult to get a great cardio workout without utilizing your legs/back to the max. I do offer some variety.....but usually switch off from kickbox, to running, to step. lol

Are you taking the time to stretch? That can really help with DOMS. Maybe add some yoga into your routine. I think that really helps relieve the lactic acid build up.

i used to take ibuprofen to run, but now i am afraid i will miss a sign of pain that may warn me i am working too hard and risking an injury. i can run 60-65mpw and do weights without any medication, and i am much more in tune. if you have doms every day, you may need to lay off, b/c just from experience, an injury that forces you off is one of the worst things for an exercise addict;) congrats, and great work!

I used to be an ibuprofen addict. ;) When I was a figure skater, there were days when just walking was difficult. Training before and after school and landing on my butt a good hundred times a day left me one sore mess. I always took only what was recommended by doc. but over time it destroyed my gastrointestinal "system" or whatever you want to call it. I definitely blame it for the majority of my current day GERD issues. My "gastro" doc basically says that Ibuprofen is the Devil. I'm not allowed to take it at all now. Not saying all that to worry you about taking it, just to be aware of what long term use at a higher dosage can do. I was taking about 800 mg twice daily - 1600 mg a day. 2400 mg is a LOT. You are technically not supposed to exceed 1200 mg a day, but my doc ok'd the 1600 mg because that is the prescription dose. Your tummy may be able to take it, but just keep an eye on how you are feeling in case you do start to get some symptoms.

Last edited:
I used to be an ibuprofen addict. ;) When I was a figure skater, there were days when just walking was difficult. Training before and after school and landing on my butt a good hundred times a day left me one sore mess. I always took only what was recommended by doc. but over time it destroyed my gastrointestinal "system" or whatever you want to call it. I definitely blame it for the majority of my current day GERD issues. My "gastro" doc basically says that Ibuprofen is the Devil. I'm not allowed to take it at all now. Not saying all that to worry you about taking it, just to be aware of what long term use at a higher dosage can do. I was taking about 800 mg twice daily - 1600 mg a day. 2400 mg is a LOT. You are technically not supposed to exceed 1200 mg a day, but my doc ok'd the 1600 mg because that is the prescription dose. Your tummy may be able to take it, but just keep an eye on how you are feeling in case you do start to get some symptoms.

I think you'd be wise to listen to Liann's story. I think taking ibuprofen every single day in such a large amount is not good. My DH has a very physical job and he takes a lot too. I have noticed over time that it takes a higher and higher dose to work on him. I try to never take ibuprofen for just regular DOMS. I have DOMS every day in some form and I'm just used to it.

About six months ago, I was taking it everyday for a shoulder injury, not for everyday muscle aches. The stuff really does work, but if you are using it because of your workouts, then maybe you need to switch something up. You should not be working the same muscle groups on consecutive days as this will expose them to overtraining and eventually injury. Maybe try some split programs where the muscle groups are trained hard once a week... just a suggestion. :)

Thank you for your concerns. :)

I will continue to use during my 1/2 marathon training & back off after that. I was on bedrest with my twin pregnancy for 3 months, and it's been tough on my body getting back into shape. I'm not sorry for pushing myself, but hopefully once I"m back into shape I will have less DOMS. lol

Thanks again for sharing. :)

Melanie,
I was taking the same amount of ibuprofen you currently are when i was training for a half marathon a few years ago. I still occassionaly have to take 800mg TID when my hamstring flares up after a HIIT or insanity workout. I have had no issues with kidneys or digestive system. I know you are not the only one out there taking that amount!!! With your background you are well aware of the risks and you sound like you are pretty tuned into your body so you would be aware of injuries. Stretching really helped me but I still needed the anit inflammatory action of ibuprofen (there are days when I really miss Viox- that was a miracle medicine for me! I know- it turned out to be a nightmare drug but 1 dose of that every other day really helped me get through the weeks of training when the longer miles were piling up!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.