Anyone run with Nike Free sneakers or Five fingers?

jdimascio

Cathlete
I fractured my toe, and I found that I can workout OK when I am barefoot. So, I decided to buy the Nike Free sneakers (would've liked to try the Five Fingers, but I don't think I could fit my toes in them). Just curious what people think about them. I was actually told that you should not run long distances in these type of shoes...lots of injuries!!

Thoughts/Reviews??

I was able to run with my daughter this morning them, her first 5K...she is 6 and did it under 36 minutes. I was so proud...she's a tiny little thing and weighs about 38 pounds. Anyway, I felt pretty good in the shoes even with an injury.

I have the Five Finger sprint shoe, and i LOVE them! (you feel a little goofy at first, but it's fun to run in them!
I bought them after I ran my first half marathon last year, and had unbearable shin splints from my regular running shoes! ....With the five fingers my shin splints disappeared....my calves were pretty sore for awhile... but I also wasn't running much at all after the half... probably like once every other week ;-)

right now I'm really building back up, and running about 3 times a week in the shoes, and all the sorness is pretty much gone now.
My friends ran the half last year in the five fingers though... so you can definitely run long distances in them, but you have to build up the strength of your foot... so even if you can run a marathon, DON'T put on these shoes and go for it.... you really have to start from scratch and build yourself up from the bottom... literally starting with 1mile runs, and adding on a minute every run.
Also: You have to run a little differently, taking shorter steps. You can't/will not want to heal strike in these shoes!! so just think of it as "lite and fast" steps if you get them =)

I hears that your calves will hurt after to using them the first time. My second and third toe are longer than my first...I don't thinkI would be able to wear them. Now I ran with the Nike's and I liked them, but it definitely feels different than when I run with my Asics. I guess I need to get used to them as well. Thanks for the information. I guess a lot of people get injured because they don't know how to use them and they jump right into long distance training with them...good to know that you need to gradual work your mileage up.

I have transitioned to running long distances (up to 15 miles) in essentially slippers (racing flats with ZERO support and the absolute minimum of sole thickness). I started with Nike Frees and have slowly gotten more and more minimalistic over the last few years (my old Frees seem like bricks now!). You REALLY do need to transition slowly, or you will injure yourself (calves, achilles, feet need to strengthen, and that takes time). But that strengthening is great for you - definitely helping to "injury-proof" yourself in the long run. The Frees are a great way to get started down this road - not too unsupportive, but a decent change from traditional running shoes.

VFFs are fabulous for running! You just have to try them on to see about your toes! The shoes do flex and give, but, at first, it's difficult to get your toes in. You learn and pick up tricks to do it and then it's easy! The only reason they tell you not to run long distances in minimalist shoes is because you have to build up your strength and ability to run properly in them. After a few years of running like that, your body should respond properly without thinking about it and you'll be fine. There are distance runners who run barefoot the whole way, but it's because they've been running like that for many years. It's all about retraining your body to run.

With VFFs, I have eliminated plantar fascitis, knee and hip pain, as well as back pain from running. It's all about getting the body to function the way it is designed to. In shoes, the body has to overcompensate for improper positioning.

You should check out the website - www.vibramfivefingers.com and read about the shoes yourself. There is also a lot of new research out of Harvard University supporting barefoot and minimalist running styles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.