Anyone here just *can't * use the birth control pill?

Timber99

Cathlete
I know that sounds strange but I have tried SO MANY pills and I just cannot seem to get one that works (at least, for an extended period of time). I have not been able to use a pill successfully without breakthrough bleeding for more than 9 months. Some fail immediately. Others work for a few months and then the spotting begins. My mother had issues as well (she wasn't on the pill but she had very bad periods, strong hormones, etc) but she evened out after her first child. The patch failed. My doctor says that I have very strong hormones and my body adapts to the pill easily, eventually causing the breakthrough bleeding. She last put me on Apri, which she said was a very strong high dose pill. I think I am going on a year and little by little, I see the issues again. ...is it possible that *no* pill will work?

The doctor said that I could try the shot or another method of BC and that it is a matter of trial and error. She had recommended this pill before the shot (takes three months to kick in and up to 18 to kick *out*) or the ring (she didn't give a reason). I just don't know what to do! No matter what I do, I need to stay on the pill anyway b/c I have such bad menstrual symptoms and the pill tends to lessen those.

If anyone has info, I would much appreciate it!

Thanks,
Christine :)

First of all. I have never had many problems, except cramps and sometimes heavy bleeding. I didn't like the pill when I used it 25 years ago, the symptoms were awful for me but the pills were probably much stronger then. I used a diaphram for the next 23 years. I know lots of people don't like them but at the time it was the best choice for me. Then came along the Nuvaring. I was leary about being on that kind of BC again but have been very happy. It does lessen the cramps and lessen the flow for me and I always know when I am going to start. The Nuvaring is easy to use and doesn't ruin the mood as a diaphram can..:)...I know also there is an OBGYN here. I think her name is Autumn and she is very good with these problems!...:)...Carole

Neither I nor three of my four sisters could take the pill. I had morning sickness, nausea, vomiting, break through bleeding in various degrees with all the ones I tried. Then I got pregnant. I found out later that my sisters had also had similar and worse problems with the pill - we should communicate more.
My dr recommended the shot for my severe TOM but I was really leary. If I have a bad reaction then it's in my system and there's nothing that can be done about it. I went to a naturopath who helped me with the cramping and severe bleeding. It's not 100% but it's certainly much more livable. He, at least, gave me several options whereas the dr's answers were very limited. That doesn't help the BC issue for you though!
There was a thread a while ago about people reactions to the shot - is it Depra Provera? You might want to do a search.

Trish

RE: Anyone here just *can't * use the birth control pil...

Christine,

I had the same problem you have with breakthrough bleeding. After this last go-around with a new brand, I stopped taking BC altogether. Someone recommended the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and I've been using the charts/temp. method outlined in the book. No problems or surprises yet! However, I have read that charting only works for women who have regular periods (when my sister went off BC, she would go months without a period, then have one that lasted for over a week, cramping, etc. She's back on BC!)

Take care,
L

RE: Anyone here just *can't * use the birth control pil...

I am actually allergic to the filler ingredients in some of the pills--I break out in a rash. My sister had the same problem. I tried the patch for a while, but with all the working out and showering that I do, I found that after a few days the patch and skin under it started getting sort of slimey and gross. The edges of the patch would be peeling, and it smelled. Yuck! I switched to the diaphram.

Hi Christine,

I couldn't take the pill because it made me severely depressed. I tried several kinds and gave up. I recently had my tubes tied and am so glad to be free of worrying about birth control.

Erica

Ok, I posted a response twice or at least thought I did. :) Hopefully, the third time will be a charm. There has been one client (of over 3,000) that just could not find a hormonal method that worked for her.

Apri is a low estrogen pill (30 mcg), but it is on the higher end of progestin. BTB (break through bleeding) is caused from estrogen or progesting deficiency generally speaking. Here are some specifics:
BTB pill days 1-9 estrogen deficiency
BTB pill days 10-21 progestin deficiency
Continuous BTB estrogen deficiency

Here is a link that may be helpful:
http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

The shot (http://www.depoprovera.com/advantage.asp#) becomes effective immediately for contraception. BTB is one side effect and can take longer than 3 mos to resolve. "By month 12 amenorrhea was reported by 55% of women, and by month 24 amenorrhea was reported by 68% of women using Depo Provera".
http://www.pfizer.com/download/uspi_depo_provera_contraceptive.pdf
It can also take longer than 18 months for periods to return to a normal pattern.

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Ahhh, it posted! :)

As much as I'd like to take BC pills, I just can't. The first I tried made me ravenous and extremely moody ALL the time! The second made my breasts swell-and they are already big enough, and the third made me have several strokes (no permanent damage, thank god). They told me I have to high a level of estrogen in my body and just cannot take BC pills.

I couldn't take the pill either, it caused me to have ocular migraines so it was recommended that I go off of them. We just used rhythm and condoms til I had my tubes tied after my last son was born just over 8 years ago.

:D

I can't take the pill because of the adverse effects. the worst of which was the excruciating headaches I would get on the same day every month. I could always tell by what pill I was on what day I would get this headache, and every month it got worse and worse, so I stopped taking it.

The other side effect was that it made me feel really nauseous during and after sex. It was so bad that I just didn't want to. So, yes, the pill was very effective at preventing pregnancy because I just didn't want to have sex. :)

I also gained a bunch of weight that I am still trying to lose now that I'm off the silly pill.

it's very possible you might never find a pill that works for you. all of autumn's advice is right on target. it's sounds like you've tried numerous pills, and what with there being about 48 or more different kinds of pills, it could take a long time to find a pill. the patch actually has the highest dose of hormones, but since this is going through your skin you don't necessarily 'get' it all. whereas the ring is the lowest cause it's centralized. maybe the ring will work more effectively for you because of this. if not, you may try depo is estrogen is your problem. or, you may even try the hormonal IUD, it usually lessens womens menstrual problems. my point is, don't give up hope, there HAS to be something out there that will help.
maddie

I was told to get on the 'pill' to regulate my periods as they've never been 'every 28 days'. I was terrified of gaining weight and never picked up the rx. Now, my husband really wants me to get on that form of bc, but I am petrified of the possible weight gain.

Jillybean,
they have studied groups of women- some on the pill, some not and monitored their wt gain. Both groups gained the same amount of wt over time. There is no evidence to support that oral contraceptives cause significant wt gain.

hth
catherine

Jillybean,
If you're scared of the pills, why don't you try the Nuvaring? I'm using it now and I have not gained ONE pound. This BC is the best one I've used so far. A lot of women I've spoken to LOVE this. I HIGHLY recommend the ring more than anything. Why not think about it?

Lisa

Has anyone noticed an increase in breast size with the ring? or the shot? That was a "big" problem for me when I went on this latest pill. I have a pretty large (proportionately - I am a big girl at 6 feet tall, etc.) chest as it is but this latest pill noticeably increased my breast size.

Thanks everyone for the information. I guess I should have also said that I have no children and have not ruled out the option. I am 30 and once I make the decision, I don't want to have to wait up to a year and half to possibly get pregnant. I have a physical in a few weeks. I will research all of these options and discuss them with my doc. There just *has* to be something out there for me!

Christine

Oh by the way, I have never gained any weight with ANY of the pills that I have taken. My advice ont aht is to pay particular attention to your eating those first few weeks and you can try to circumvent any weight gain issue.

Hi, I'm a women's health Nurse Practitioner. Many of the patients I work with don't handle pills well. The Nuva Ring is a method I currently suggesting for ease and lack of discomfort associated with other hormonal methods. I will not prescribe the patch for women over 150 pounds, the birth control effectiveness decreases between 150-190 (even though the manufacturer states its safe).

I also prescribe and place lot's of IUD's mainly the Paragard Cooper T, but also the Mirena. My patient's have had excellent luck with these methods. I try to utilize the method that will best protect the patient's fertility and fit in with her lifestyle. Also, our clinic also always suggests consistent condom usage with every birth control method used, to protect from std's.:)

Christine...I admit I was hoping for maybe a bit of breast size increase!!! But alas...no....still a member of the itty bitty titty club...x(

Jillybean...I had absolutely no weight gain with the Nuvaring. I love it compared to the BC pills I took years ago. When I went to a vegan diet I even lost weight easily with Nuvaring...:)...Carole

Hi Kmarie! I am also a WHNP, so welcome! :) There are other NPs on the forums but you are the first WHNP I've seen.

Autumn

Ok, NP's, have to ask...

My gyno says that the hormones in the Nuva Ring can be found also in the same proportions in a BCP. That said, he talked me into Allesse. Are they similar in estrogen/progestin components??

i have been taking the shot for about 6 months. my bleeding stopped after the third week.i had headaches in the beginning but thats gone away. no more pms either. i have read that its harder to get pregnant after being on the shot for so long.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.