anyone here have a juicier?

thinkgod1

Cathlete
anyone here have a juicier? and how do you like it? i just got one and started juicing vegtables and fruits hope i feel more energy and healthyier from this juicier. tired of feeling like crap.

My husband just recently purchased a juicer and uses it ALL THE TIME now. He makes both veggy and fruit drinks every morning and says he feels so much better. He is not eating as much at other meals since beginning this and seems to have more energy. We are both very active (run in the morning and lift weights after work) and he's upped his routines a bit since "juicing". I haven't really gotten his level of enthusiasm since I so enjoy the "chewing" aspect of my food intake ::)) I think you'll enjoy it, just have fun and experiment.

I don't have one, but I am curious about juicing from those of you who do it. What is the advantage of taking out all the healthy fiber from fruits and veggies and just using the juice? It seems to me that you are keeping the calories (and maybe a few of the vitamins) but getting rid of the healthy fiber that most people do not get enough of. What is the benefit over just eating lots of healthy fruits and veggies? This is not meant as a "diss" to the method; I have always been curious about the health benefits (mostly because I love kitchen gadgets and if there were a reason to buy a juicer I would probably have one!!!).

Stephanie

Stephanie, i've got a Champion juicer and prefer to use it for what i call grinded salads for that very reason - to get the fiber. i'll take a head of romaine lettuce, several carrots, onion, tomato, and cuke and grind them together to make the most delicious salad ever! i'll add either some flaxseed meal or mackerel to make it a real powerhouse of a meal.

i'd always used the Champion just as a juicer but am glad i started using it more for the salads. and don't get me started on the delicious banana ice cream i make with it in the summer...............:9

well i dont eat right and i take alot of vitamins for many years but i think if i can get my five servings of veg and fruit over with in the morning in a juicier since im busy and its hard to eat right

>I don't have one, but I am curious about juicing from those
>of you who do it. What is the advantage of taking out all the
>healthy fiber from fruits and veggies and just using the
>juice? It seems to me that you are keeping the calories (and
>maybe a few of the vitamins) but getting rid of the healthy
>fiber that most people do not get enough of. What is the
>benefit over just eating lots of healthy fruits and veggies?
>This is not meant as a "diss" to the method; I have always
>been curious about the health benefits (mostly because I love
>kitchen gadgets and if there were a reason to buy a juicer I
>would probably have one!!!).

Juicing allows you to get nutrients in a concentrated, easy to absorb form. Which has it's pluses and minuses.

I think juices are good in moderation, like one a day, but because of the lack of fiber and the concentrated nature of extracted juices, better are blended drinks, especially 'green drinks" that you can make with a Vitamix (just throw in a bunch of greens and the edible parts of fruits and/or veggies and blend: the Vitamix blends them up so finely, it's not like what you'd get from a regular blender). The blended drinks are smooth and easily digestible (one benefit of both them and fresh juices), but the still retain fiber, so the sugars/carbs in the drink aren't too quickly absorbed (it's not a good idea, for example, to drink too much fruit juice, some say not any, and carrots, for example, also have a lot of sugar in, so their juice is best mixed with some green juice and/or diluted with water).

I have a juicer that can also be used to make nut butters (just run nuts through it, and it blends them smooth) and banana "ice creams" (just run frozen bananas, with or without other fruits in) or can be used to grind up sprouted grains to make 'dough.' I got rid of my 'just juice' juicer years ago. But I will say that carrot, pineapple and winesap apple juice was one of my favorites!

Kathryn! Your post reminds me that I want to steal my parents' vitamix. They hardly ever use it, and those things aren't cheap! How much of your fruit and veggie intake comes from smoothies?
Amy

I have to agree with those who say be careful not to drink too much juice. I try to eat as many apples and oranges as I can, but avoid apple juice and orange juice completely because they are just pure sugar without the fiber, etc. The blends Kathryn is describing sound like a good way to use your juicer. But I would avoid just drinking pure juice from any fruit.
-Nancy

>How much of your fruit and veggie intake comes
>from smoothies?

Actually, not much right now. 1-2 servings a day (out of something like 7-10, on a good day).

I prefer fresh raw, whole foods. I've got a Vitamix (got it this summer when I got more into raw foods), but I actually haven't used it yet. :eek: I do know several people who 'do' a daily green drink (and Victoria Boutenko's "Green for Life" gives some really good reasons for doing so --vs. regular juicing--as well) and I intended to get into it, but haven't yet.

Can I ask what kind of Juicer most of you are using? Is "Vitamix" the name of a juicer, or a supplement used in juicing? Of course, I've looked at the Jack Lalanne Juicer - my DH desperately wants one, so I see a juicer purchase in my near future. Any recommendations on a juicer brand and pros/cons would be great! Do you have "combination machines" or just strictly juicers?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to make an informed purchase.

Thanks,
Tricia

i got big mouth juicier thats what it is called from home shopping network hsn 49.99 which was cheap compareed to other and i love juicing iv got to find fruit and veg stand where i live becuaes fruit and veg are expensive but worth every penny i have more energy and feel better period

> Is
>"Vitamix" the name of a juicer, or a supplement used in
>juicing?

The "Vitamix" isn't a juicer per se, but a high-power blender that can take whole foods and turn them into juice (or soup, or 'ice creams").

I have a Green Star juicer, which is sold by Tribest. From the research I did, it's the one a lot of raw fooders recommend. It can be used not just for juiciing (both veggies and greens, including wheat grass, if one wants), but for making nut butters and 'ice creams' and even dough out of sprouted grains. It supposedly is superior to most other juicers except for the Norwalk juicer (which costs almost double) because it extracts more nutrients from the food and the juice doesn't oxydize as quickly (both because of some ceramics and magnets used in the juicer). www.rawfamily.com or www.allissacohen.com sometimes have it on sale (it's not cheap!).

I had a Jack Lalanne Juicer for a while (I tried it), but the screen is a PITA to clean, and there were a lot of plastic parts and flimsy-looking light-weight metal parts that would need replacing pretty frequently, IMO. Not at all as good as the Acme juicer (yes, that's the brand, but I didn't buy it where Wiley Coyote gets his Acme products!) I had for almost 20 years.

How easy is the Green Star juicer to clean? I have a Juiceman Juicer but sure wish there was something a little easier...

>How easy is the Green Star juicer to clean? I have a
>Juiceman Juicer but sure wish there was something a little
>easier...

Unfortunately, most juicers aren't that easy to clean, and it's the screen that's the problem. I find that the Green Star is much easier to clean than the Acme I had, and the screen unit is much smaller. There is a special brush that comes with it that helps get all the little pieces out of the screen, and it takes a bit of work (good reason the juice stays fresher longer!), but all the other parts are just a quick rinse.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.