Anyone have natural birthing stories?

LHK

Cathlete
Hello! I'm 13 weeks along now, and just starting to think about what sort of delivery I would like to strive for. I have had trouble finding people who have good personal experiences with either natural or unassisted birthing. Did you or someone you know give birth this way? Is it worth considering? I have read through "unassistedchildbirth.com" and now am seeking personal stories.
Thanks!

Lisa

PS I am growing quickly! Up 6 pounds and hardly anything fits! I bet I'll be in maternity clothes sometime during my 4th month!

Hi Lisa,

Do you mean birth without any intervention, including gas and air ? Because if you are, then my second and third births were au naturel.
I had a terrible birth experience with my first baby - my waters went, I had contractions in my back ONLY (backache labour), my baby was an OP presentation baby (born face up), and she had been lying with her back against my spine (I had chronic back ache from week 16 onwards) all the way through my pregnancy. Ended up with an epidural (which I hated because you can't go the loo post-birth until you can feel life back in your legs, amongst other reasons. Some Ladies either love epidurals or they don't, I fall into the latter), my baby tried to turn her head into the normal position for delivery in the second stage of labour, but got stuck. I was very tired trying to 'bear down' and push with no feeling in the lower half of me. So I ended up having a forceps delivery, which in the UK, a Doctor has to perform (Midwive's aren't allowed to), and he stitched me up wrong, and I ended up with an abcess on my stitches (couldn't walk), and a touch of PND.

I am not saying all first births are like that, but that was my bad experience. And the trouble with first births is that you don't know how you are going to react throughout the birth, or what labour feels like. Normal contractions in the front of the abdomen are a piece of cake compared to backache labour.

So, in my second pregnancy, I read everything I could lay my hands on about backache labour, so that I was in the know in case it happenned again, and I read, read, read all I could on alternatives to pain relief (aromatherapy, homeopathy, which are allowed during the labour ONLY).

I read a fantastic book called 'Labour Pain' by Nicky Wesson, which you can buy from Amazon.com (in America, it is called Labor Pain by Nicky Wesson). She explains what contractions feel like, how you should focus upon the pains as good pain. Bad pain is like when you break a leg for example, labour pain is good, because they are helping you to give birthto your baby. She also explains that when animals give birth, they do so without pain relief. After experiencing both kinds of pain, I would say that normal contractions are easier to cope with, and I looked at them more as waves rolling onto a beach. You know how a wave builds up in strength and then crashes to the beach ? Backache labour, I just wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

In my second and third childs' births I used Lavender pure essential oil, a couple of drops on the hospital gown. It kept me calm and is reknowned for strengthening uterine contractions, helping to speed up labour. They offered me gas and air which I wasn't going to refuse, but no-one showed me how to use the mouthpiece you breathe through !!! And the thought of putting it in my mouth made me feel so queasy, so I declined it and rode through each wave, AND I insisted they let me move freely around the labour room. Lying down just slows down contractions IMO.
I had two lovely, fairly quick births, compared to the first experience (bearing in mind they were my subsequent pregnancies, which always seem to result with easier births, because the body knows what it is doing).

Despite the fact that my eldest's birth was a nightmare (I am sure others will of had worse than me though), I still had my beautiful baby girl at the end of it :). She is now a tall strapping 5 year old !!!

Please though consider investing in the book I mentioned, the author, Nicky Wesson has 5 children of her own. And she also goes on to explain other pain contol during labour pethidine, gas and air, epidurals, etc (my mind has gone blank now !!!!!)

Just looked on Amazon.com for you and the book is called,

'Labor Pain: A Natural Approach to Easing Delivery' by Nicky Wesson. It says it is out of stock, but I am sure you would be able to get hold of it via good book stores. It changed my whole outlook and fear about labour (Not that I am trying to spend your money ! :7)

Hope this was of some help

Anna :)

Hi Lisa,

I had my first baby with an epidural-free labor six months ago. It was long and my baby was also face up, but I really wanted to avoid an epidural if I could. I had taken hypnobirthing classes, and I think the breathing techniques I learned there helped a lot for most of the labor. The nurses and my midwife seemed impressed with me(!) but towards the end I was definitely getting tired. That was when they wanted me to hold my breath while pushing, and to push when they told me to. In retrospect, I wish I had had the energy to EXHALE when pushing (as I wanted to)and to push when I felt ready and not on demand! I would really recommend that you listen to YOUR instincts and ask the doctor/nurse/midwife to give your way a try first.

My recovery was really quick and easy (I did tear and had some stiches but didn't feel the need for any medication for that), and everyone commented on how alert and awake my baby was. If I have anymore, I would definitely want to go natural again (now that I know I can ;-) ).

Hypnobirthing has a website that recommends practioners in the area you enter, in case you're interested. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it.

Good luck!

Candice

Thank you Candace and Anna! I find it very reassuring to hear success stories. I truly believe that we as humans and as women are capable of birthing a baby without extreme intervention of doctors and drugs. It just makes sense! Animals do it, cave women did it, why now is it such a huge medical issue that just presumes intense pain?

I know I am naive and have never given birth, but something tells me our bodies may and should have a way of getting through this drug free. I found the book you mentioned (Wesson) on Mediaplay.com for $12.95. I will consider getting it.
Thanks!

At the very least I can become more informed and still keep my options (epidural, etc) open!
Lisa

I don't want to scare you, just giving my opinion. My first baby was drug free and it was horrible. I hated it and it was very traumatizing. When I realized I could not handle the pain it was too late, I was fully dialated and they could not give my anything. I had an epidural for number baby 2 and baby 3. In fact my biggest fear for my second and third pregnancies was making sure I got the epidural in time. With an epidural you still feel pain in pushing and pain up to when they admister it but it makes the contractions more bearable. I loved the epidural and if I ever have a fourth would absolutely have it again.

My friend who is a labor and deliver nurse tells women "there is no medal for avoiding pain medication"

Hi, Anna again,

I just wanted to clarify for anyone reading my post that I didn't do labour the 2nd and 3rd time, without intervention to gain any medals.
I did it because the thought of the gas and air made me feel sick, the thought of being injected with pethidine horrified me (it was bad enough having to cope for 9 months being pregnant having no control over my horrendous hormones, mood swings and changes to the body, without having to cope with feeling spaced out during labour). I have also heard that pethidine does not agree with the baby being born in some instances, my first child was a highly enough strung individual, probably due to her forceps delivery. I had tried the epidural, been there, done that, hated it. I wanted to avoid another mechanical delivery at all costs. The forceps delivery made me lose alot of blood, I had to stay on iron tablets for weeks after my baby's birth, causing me chronic constipation. So, after all that, I wasn't really left with an awful lot of choice !!!!!!!!

I will say though, the trick to a natural birth without intervention, is to stay as calm as possible, and keep yourself under control (Of course if you have time to, sometimes little ones want to arrive a little too quick, and you have no time to think about pain relief at all !). Once you 'lose' it, you have had it, the pain threshold can intensify greatly. It happenned in my first labour.

But, Lisa, at the end of the day, everyone has different experiences, and yours too, will be a totally unique experience to you.

And I am certainly not saying, rule out pain relief completely, it is there if you need it. I am just a bit of an icky person, and just didn't fancy the thought of the other methods. You could take au naturel even further and sit in a birthing pool, I never fancied that either as I can't swim (bad joke there :7 but it is true I can't swim !). It was offered to me in my third labour, but my baby arrived 5 minutes after they filled the pool up (wonderful stuff, Lavender essential oil !)

I am definitely not ruling out pain relief completely, and I am certainly not out to receive any medals! I just want to be as informed as I can be when the big day arrives so I am more relaxed (knowledge can bring relief) and ready to make any decisions necessary. I am a pain wimp for sure- I hate the dentist, I complain at the slightest twinge of a headache, etc.

And all my life I dreaded and feared labor too, because of what I've seen on TV and heard anecdotally. It's just now that I am pregnant, I really want to learn about everything before I boldly say "I want that epidural" or "I'm going natural". I simply don't know yet, and I probably won't until that day!
Thanks for sharing your experiences, and please keep them coming!
Lisa

Lisa,

I'm sure whatever you choose and however the delivery goes, you will do GREAT. I agree, everyone's experiences are different and the important thing is the healthy baby :)

Marci

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-03 AT 00:26AM (Est)[/font][p]With my 2cnd and 3rd, I delivered without any medication, (my first was a c-section). The labor was long with my second child, but it wasn't too intense, until the transition phase. I was really scared when I hit that point that I wasn't going to be able to deal with the contractions anymore, but somehow I just got through it. I found it was a relief to push, so that part wasn't bad for me at all. With my third child my labor was very quick. In total it was about 6 hours, but I went from 5cm to delivery in 15 minutes, so those 15 minutes were so intense. I know I "lost" it during this time and looking back I think it was because I wasn't expecting my labor to be so quick. I kept thinking that I had hours left and that I wouldn't be able to do it. Luckily, I was wrong!! So this time I am trying to prepare myself so that I don't "lose" it again during the transition phase. Also, I am hoping that this time I'll be able to recognize what stage I am at during the labor process. I think this will help to keep me calm so I will hopefuly be able to have another unmedicated delivery. If that makes sense?
Sorry so long :)

I had both of mine without epidurals. The first was an induction, and I eventually dod get pain meds through the IV line. That worked out well for me, as I really needed them at that time.

My second was born in a birth center with no meds whatsoever. This was exactly the way I would like to give birth if I ever do it again. I don't go without pain meds to win medals, but I do it because I like to be in control, not give that up to my MD. I could walk around, go to the bathroom and gave birth in the position I chose. If all had worked out, I would have given birth in the tub like I had planned, but he seemed to want to be born on a bed. Fine with me, I just climbed out of the tub and moved onto the bed, choosing the least uncomfortable position.

Yes, there is pain. It is natural, so It isn't completely awful. But, the best thing about doing it natural is that when it is over, the pain stops. There is no little nagging headache. No need to wait for feeling to come back anywhere. No little lingering weirdness left over from the epidural. Nothing. In fact, I bleieve that choesing my position for my comfort helped to keep me from needinjg any stitches. And, that to me is the absolute biggest bonus there is.

Hello again Lisa,
I forgot to tell you about my six births when I posted before about the Unassisted Childbirth site. All of my births were with no pain medication. The only one I wish I had drugs was when I gave birth to my 9lb son-child number five. Not because he was big, but because of all the doctor intervention I had to put up with.
With my other children I didn't go to the hospital until I knew I was close to delivering. My second I had at home with a midwife. (Tip #1--stay home as long as possible, preferably don't leave your home--it is the safest place to give birth). The problem with this baby was that I had an appointment that afternoon. I knew I was in labor and I should have cancelled the appt. But I forgot to use my brain. At my appt. he said I was 4 cm dialated and I should go check in at the hospital. Should have gone home.
After I got into that wonderful hospital gown, the doctor came in and said he wanted to break my water to speed up delivery. When I questioned the need to speed things up, he said if I labored all night I would be too tired in the morning to push the baby out. [What he was really saying was that he wanted to get home and get on with his life.] Later I realized this was plain stupid. I had labored all night with all my children and I think I remember being able to "push" every one of them out the next morning. (Tip #2--don't let them break your water. Having it unbroken makes your contractions less painful, reduces the pressure on the baby's head, keeps the cord from prolapsing, and studies have shown that breaking your water will only speed your delivery by about 30 minutes. Breaking your water will only bring on further intervention because they will not let you labor for very long with a broken bag of waters--fear of infection.)
To prove my point, about 1 hour after he broke my water he returned and said, "if things don't speed up we will have give you pitocin." I can't believe he is telling me this. I already have given birth to 4 children with no problems and he is telling me he is going to give me pitocin to speed things up. But he did dangle a little carrot in front of my nose. He said I could try bearing down a bit with each contraction to help my cervix dialate faster. Well, I thought that was better than pitocin so I did what the doctor ordered.
This is when I wanted drugs bad!!! But I knew I did not want to let them give me drugs that would hurt my baby, so I just endured. These were the worse, most painful contractions I had ever had. Later I learned that bearing down before my cervix was completely dialated could have made my cervix swell and then I would have needed a c-section. And they kept that monitor belt on me the whole time--even when I was pushing him out. These people are nuts.
He was a big 9lb boy and I didn't "need" an episiotomy. (Tip #3--no women really needs an episiotomy. If you are allowed to stay upright instead of deliver flat on your back--which means you are pushing against gravity--your body will be able to deliver whatever size baby you have in you womb. And an episiotomy will allow your perinium to tear quicker and more serverely.) I did tear a little with him, but I healed much faster than with my first 3 in which I had episiotomies.
My other 5 births were wonderful compared to that one. The only difference was I went too early and gave them time to interfere with the natural process of birth.
I plan on having the next one at home unassisted if the Lord blesses us with another one. Our bodies are made to give birth. Women who do not make it to the hospital give birth. Doctors are not God and do not need to be present for you to give birth. They like to be there because that is how they afford to have the lifestyle they have.
Doctors have a place--when something is really wrong. But 99% of births would be just fine without them.
Hope that helped.
God Bless,
Heather

Hi Heather,

Agreed. Doctors have a place. I gave birth in a birthing center with a midwife. This eased my husband's concerns should something go wrong -- we were somewhere where we had medical help -- and it eased my concerns which were issues with at least one of the OB/GYN docs within any given practice I had tried going to. Doctors who said "85% of first time mothers require an episiotomy." Doctors who tried to scare me when I expressed that I had read different opinions than theirs in books, etc.

To the gal who originally posted this topic:

Drugs are a good thing. I'm not celebrating pain or anything.

But -- for me personally -- being physically present in the birth of my child was an important and beautiful thing.

It's like when you work out you are supposed to focus and think inwardly about the muscles you are using. We all know that when we do this -- we get even better results from those Cathe weight workouts! Labor is all about muscle contractions. It's about the amazing power that a woman's body has and it is a chance to celebrate and feel that strength in one's self.

Pain is pain, but how you perceive pain makes all the difference in the world. If you embrace the contractions, if you move into yourself and into your contractions and open up to pushing out this beautiful baby inside you instead of closing up and tightening up -- you will get through it... and it is an amazing thing to feel this in yourself.

Granted, I've spent a good portion of my life running (inwardly) from as many things as possible or not being present (mentally and/or physically) to what is going on around me.

Having a child was a no turning back point and making myself be there for the experience was very, very important to me.

It's like running a marathon -- except a marathon is easier IMO! Maybe an Ironman? Never done one of those!

Be positive. You will be healthy. Your baby will be healthy. You will be strong. Your baby will be strong. Think positive. Pray. Commit yourself to a course of action, yet, be aware, that like anything things may not go quite according to the plan.

Take care of yourself, and hope you have a wonderful birth!
Zoelda

Thank you!
Ladies, all of your stories help me build confidence in my body and in its ability to give birth- and I am so glad to read them all! I ordered a book too, and will continue to seek birthing stories. I must admit I completely agree with the mindset thing- if we embrace the contractions and are prepared and confident, and are open to the experience (and not all knotted up inside) and things go well, it can be done. Thank you- I appreciate the time you've taken to write! And like I said before- keep them coming!
Lisa
almost 14 weeks
due July 20ish

Another epidural story

I am writing this from personal experience and not as the moderator of this forum. Both my children wound up being "epidural babies." I did what was right for me at the time. Yes, I would love to have been able to do it without drugs. In fact, everyone I knew thought that I would since I was "a fitness person." You have to do what is right for you and not rely on other opinions to sway you either way without conducting your own research. I am all for the "empowered mom" who researches the risks and benefits of the methods available and then makes her decision based on that. With my daughter labor stopped progressing at 6 cm. We all know about the fear-tension-pain cycle. I will admit I was pretty much out of control when I finally got the epidural. Yes, I had gone to classes, practiced all the relaxation techniques, labored in water, walked the halls, squatted during the contractions, used my rice sock and still couldn't get past 6cm. When my daughter's heart rate started dropping with the contractions I knew that she was stressed. I opted to get the epidural. Long story short after getting the epidural I started dilating again, went to 10cm and my little girl was born. I truly believe that we would have wound up with a C-section had I gone on without the help. Her heartrate was getting dangerously low during contractions. I walked to the bathroom to pee 20 minutes after she was born, she latched on right away to nurse and I had no headache or after effects whatsoever. The same thing happened with my son's birth. If I had to do it again, I would go in with an informed and open mind as I did the first two times.

In my 14 years of training pregnant women I have had too many moms come back to their training sessions with their babies in their carriers only to tell me that they failed because they had pain medication or an epidural. It saddens me a great deal to think that they have been made to think that they are "less of a woman" for birthing their babies this way. The medal given for childbirth is in the baby carrier.

RE: Sheila..........

Hi Sheila,

Thankyou for sharing your labour story with us, from reading it, I am wondering if you had backache labour like me, with the contractions through the back ?

Thanks

RE: Sheila..........

Hi Anna,

No thank goodness it wasn't back labor. At least I didn't have a "sunny side up" (i.e. back of baby's head against mom's spine)baby. My contractions radiated mostly from my groin around to my anal area. They definitely weren't your classic "textbook" contractions. Just another reminder that we are all different. When I went into labor with my son, I first thought that I just had to go to the bathroom. Boy was I wrong. Sitting on the toilet just progressed labor that much faster because it facilitated gravity. I was so mad when I stopped at 6cm again.

Sheila

Hi Lisa!

Just wanted to share my "stories" with you. I have two children and had very different birthing experiences with both of them. I used a midwife with each.

My first, my son, was born with forceps, (and with a doctor, in case anyone wonders) and of course, I had to have an epidural. But...I was able to get through all the contractions naturally. Not that it was easy, but I think my mind set was that they're not going to last forever. I got an epidural because my water had broke, he was posterior (face up) and huge (well, 9lbs 11 1/2 oz, but hey, that's huge to me.) I just was not able to push him out after a few hours of trying, and as his heart rate was starting to get a little erratic, the plan changed. Although the epidural made the contractions a breeze once I got it, I didn't like the way I felt afterwards, and it does take a while to get the feeling back in your lower half.

My second birth, my daughter, was completely natural. I never felt the need to have the epidural and I was absolutely not against having one. The contractions were do-able and I actually felt better being able to be up and around. I walked around until the "big" moment and then had her laying in bed. I will tell you that the pushing part is for the birds! For some reason I just thought that once you could push, it was easy street. So my first words were, literally, I can't do this and once I realized that I "had to," she was out in 10 minutes. I felt absolutely great afterwards, but I swore I'd never put myself through that again!

But just to let you know, I'm contemplating #3 and I really can't say with any certainty what I'll do that time around. Without having the epidural, you're really able to tune in with your body and feel what's happening. But at the time of having my daughter, I didn't really care about that. :)

I really think you need to listen to your body and not put yourself through more than you can bear. It's work, pure and simple, but it doesn't have to be so much hard labor if you're not up to it.

Best Wishes!
Michele

Was supposed to have a homebirth...

Hey Lisa! My little "plan" wound up way off base as I ended up having a c-section (my little Olivia had the cord around her neck two times!!) Anyhoo,BEFORE I knew I was going to need a c-section I was moved to the hospital. Because I did not anticipate having to labor in the hospital I was caught off guard and had no bag packed. I had all low-back labor pains and none of the tools I needed for pain management (I knew that I needed to be on my knees but I could not because all my stuff was at home). Plus, I had increased anxiety with hearing my babies heartbeat slow down during contractions. I personally felt that the pain was bad but manageable given a different set of circumstances. For instance, we could get hold or cold wash cloths because the hospitals water never went anywhere beyond luke warm!

As I said, I was planning for a home birth and plan to for the next baby as well. It is my understanding from my particular medical practice that home birth is only an option for "normal" pregnancy's and labors - mine became "abnormal" with the slowing of the heartbeat during contractions. However, my medical practice, which specializes in PHYSICIAN ATTENDED home births (you can have a mid-wife too), has a website if you'd like more information. www.homefirst.com

Good luck to you!!

jeni

Hi,
I had my first baby in mid November without any drugs. I labored for sixteen hours with a midwife in a hospital and gave birth to a 9 pound 4 oz. boy. I cannot stress enough to you how important it is to educate yourself! If I had not done everything that I could to familiarize myself with labor and birth, I would have ended up with a C-section. I was ten days late, so they did an extra ultrasound, and discovered that I was going to be having a very large baby. That was when I was a week overdue. They wanted to go ahead and induce labor that day, or go ahead and do a C-section that day. The only reason that I had the guts to stand up to them was because of the FACTS that I had studied previously. I knew that my body was made for birthing and that I could safely deliver my child, when both of our bodies were ready. I also explained to the doctor that my mother had delivered four children over 9 pounds vaginally, the heaviest being ten lb, 1 oz, and I have a larger frame than she does. I walked out of the office that day and came back three days later in labor.

I used the hypnobirthing techniques for breathing and absolutely treasured my labor. Even though they had me hooked up to the monitor almost the entire time. The doctor kept coming in also and pressuring me and the midwife, always threatening a C section should things not progress quickly enough. I ended up consenting to having my water broken when my labor slowed down at 9.5 centimeters. My midwife told me that if we didn't do something to speed it back up, she didn't think she would be able to hold the doctor off any longer. I guess she hadn't fulfilled her C section quota for that month, and her scalpel was itching. I gave birth about 1.5 hours later.

The only thing that I would do differently next time would be going to the hospital much, much later. There is a book by Henci Goer that I would highly recommend. It is The Thinking Woman's Guide to Birth, or something close to that, but it was invaluable in standing up to the doctor. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Ashley

Good for you Ashley. I'm an L&D nurse, and I can't count how many women end up w/ extra interventions just by coming in to the hospital too early: monitors, IVs, ruptured membranes, etc. Every situation is different of course, but I think some folks really think it will "go faster" once they're in the hospital. It doesn't. Stay home as long as you can (a rule of thumb is, if you're thinking of pain medication, head to hospital when you feel you're ready for some). You can have regular contractions every 5 minutes for hrs. without them changing your cervix w/ a first baby. Typically, you'll be more able to cope and relax at home. And if you go in and get sent home, it's no dishonor. Don't call everyone that you're going to the hospital until you're sure you'll stay.

Once you're in the hospital, you doctor feels like s/he has to DO something for you: so they might offer to break your water (after which they want you delivered within 24 hrs), give you pitocin etc. You'll end up on the monitor continuously w/ pit and your movement is restricted. Not to mention pit is a more uncomfortable labor (always a good case for an epidural).

Henci Goer's birth is a great one. Another one is called "Pregnant feelings" by Rahima Baldwin. If your head is in the right place for your labor, it will be a phenomenal experience for you if you end up with or without medication.

Best wishes to you. Keep us posted.
Valerie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.