Anyone go through vein stripping?

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
I just had my greater saphenus vein stripped on my lower right leg and 3 varicous veins removed on Wednesday. It is now Friday, I got to remove the ace wraps to get a shower and was pleasantly surprised that it looked as good as it did! I have an incision at the groin and ankle and tiny ones were the surface veins were. My leg feels "light" and is bruised. If you had this done, how long were you "out"? I can't wait to get back on the Xtrain!

Thanks I am doing well.It's 5 days out, the swelling is gone, bruising is still there and I am getting around well. I go for my follow-up tomorrow. I run also and certainly don't feel up to it yet...Just want to get back on the XTrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this done probably 8 years ago. From what I recall I was told it would be several days before I felt anything. I hesitate to give a number because I can't recall for sure. Five seems to stand out. Whatever it was I was surprised at how long after and it was right on!! I wasn't running at the time but did step cardio. I am sorry I can't remember how long I was out but knowing me it wasn't for long. I probably did light work for a week or so until I went back for recheck. Focus more on upper body, core work.

I was happy with my results. I had some bulging veins and 8 years later they look good. Good luck.

I had this done probably 8 years ago. From what I recall I was told it would be several days before I felt anything. I hesitate to give a number because I can't recall for sure. Five seems to stand out. Whatever it was I was surprised at how long after and it was right on!! I wasn't running at the time but did step cardio. I am sorry I can't remember how long I was out but knowing me it wasn't for long. I probably did light work for a week or so until I went back for recheck. Focus more on upper body, core work.

I was happy with my results. I had some bulging veins and 8 years later they look good. Good luck.

The Dr. took out 3 bulging veins and the big central vein in my lower right calf...my valves were not closing properly and my ankle and calf would swell. Glad I had it done sooner than later. I haven't done any type of WO yet...will see what the Dr. says tomorrow... fingers crossed! Thank you for your info!

I had my varicose veins removed / worked on last year. They performed "Endovenous Laser Ablation of the Refluxing Vein" on them --they inserted a fiber in the veins and lasered them closed. I had a large area on the inside of my upper thigh, and along the front of the lower shin and leg.

Post op my entire leg was pretty sore and heavily bruised. I was out of commission fully for one day - no exercise at all. You should have seen the look on my face when they said "okay, now, no exertions for 2 weeks." I was really nervous that I would do damage to their work if I worked out. Definitely no running, no heavy weights, aerobics. OMG you want me to NOT do what I do??!! That's more painful than the procedure!

They DID say it was ok, good even for recovery, to walk.... so, boy oh boy did I walk. Every day for the first 3 days I would check the incisions (I had dozens), bandage them up if needed, wrap the leg ankle to thigh, and squeeze back into my compression stocking (one leg + awkward garter) and walk a few miles. Frankly, I was quite sore after the procedure, so couldn't even imagine doing more. By day 5, I skipped wrapping the leg. But I kept wearing the compression stocking, even for a few days past the day they recommended. Also by day 5, I was back to riding my bicycle to & from work.

By day 7, I introduced upper body work, but went a few pounds lighter than I would have normally ... gosh I was so worried I would induce internal pressure on the veins and cause something to rip or just not heal right...

Day 9 I did Turbo Barre, but did not exert myself; it was more like a guideline for movement. I did what I could do, but didn't go near any point of intensity. Still walked every day.

By 12 days later I was still focusing on upper body work, but started adding more cardio like kickboxing - done very loosely.

On the 2 week mark, I added running back into my routine, and returned back to my regular schedule of exercise. But by 'taking it easy' for 2 weeks, I already felt out of shape, haha! I jumped back on it, though, and ran in two 5Ks within 3 months of the work.

I recommend keeping that super sexy (haha) compression stocking on for longer than you want to, keeping light with upper body, and introducing light cardio after a while.

Hope you're recovering well! You'll be back at it before you know it, and you'll feel great with the improved circulation. You'll feel like you have a new leg!

I had my varicose veins removed / worked on last year. They performed "Endovenous Laser Ablation of the Refluxing Vein" on them --they inserted a fiber in the veins and lasered them closed. I had a large area on the inside of my upper thigh, and along the front of the lower shin and leg.

Post op my entire leg was pretty sore and heavily bruised. I was out of commission fully for one day - no exercise at all. You should have seen the look on my face when they said "okay, now, no exertions for 2 weeks." I was really nervous that I would do damage to their work if I worked out. Definitely no running, no heavy weights, aerobics. OMG you want me to NOT do what I do??!! That's more painful than the procedure!

They DID say it was ok, good even for recovery, to walk.... so, boy oh boy did I walk. Every day for the first 3 days I would check the incisions (I had dozens), bandage them up if needed, wrap the leg ankle to thigh, and squeeze back into my compression stocking (one leg + awkward garter) and walk a few miles. Frankly, I was quite sore after the procedure, so couldn't even imagine doing more. By day 5, I skipped wrapping the leg. But I kept wearing the compression stocking, even for a few days past the day they recommended. Also by day 5, I was back to riding my bicycle to & from work.

By day 7, I introduced upper body work, but went a few pounds lighter than I would have normally ... gosh I was so worried I would induce internal pressure on the veins and cause something to rip or just not heal right...

Day 9 I did Turbo Barre, but did not exert myself; it was more like a guideline for movement. I did what I could do, but didn't go near any point of intensity. Still walked every day.

By 12 days later I was still focusing on upper body work, but started adding more cardio like kickboxing - done very loosely.

On the 2 week mark, I added running back into my routine, and returned back to my regular schedule of exercise. But by 'taking it easy' for 2 weeks, I already felt out of shape, haha! I jumped back on it, though, and ran in two 5Ks within 3 months of the work.

I recommend keeping that super sexy (haha) compression stocking on for longer than you want to, keeping light with upper body, and introducing light cardio after a while.

Hope you're recovering well! You'll be back at it before you know it, and you'll feel great with the improved circulation. You'll feel like you have a new leg!

I am 2 weeks out from the procedure...I opted not to go with the ablation, just didn't like the idea of a shriveled vein left in me...just ahd the lower vein removed. I have some good bruising on the upper thigh, and my ankle is still swollen a bit. I started back with upper body WOs about 5 days after. With the stripping, I don't have to wear a compression stocking though I do wrap my calf when I work out. Havent resumed running yet. too cold anyway. I am 51 so I am taking my time and letting me heal before I go all out again. Thanks for your insight on your recovery! Nice to hear I am not alone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.