Anyone following the World Cup?

Janis

Cathlete
It's half-time and tied up, Eng 1 USA 1

(and Robert Green has suddenly become a household name!)

GO USA:D:D:D:D

It is the only sporting event I follow. I lived in Italy in 1982 when they won and have been an avid World Cup fan ever since. Every four years, for three weeks, I become one of the biggest sports fans on the planet.

Not too much, but DH was announcing the score today! So, what now? Since Eng and USA ended up in a draw, what happens next?

I may have to watch next year!

Not too much, but DH was announcing the score today! So, what now? Since Eng and USA ended up in a draw, what happens next?

I may have to watch next year!

At the group stage, points are earned: 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss. The top two teams (teams with most points) in each group advance to the round of 16.

But, Tricia, there is no next year. The World Cup is played every 4 years. The good thing is, it just started on Friday (and ends July 11), so you haven’t missed too much.

Thanks for the lesson! Every 4 years! Wow! Ah, would that some sports here only play every 4 years! :p Basketball and baseball seasons are way too long and encroach on my favorite shows! Can you tell I'm not much of a sports fan? ;)

I love tennis and some hockey and that's about it.

At the group stage, points are earned: 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss. The top two teams (teams with most points) in each group advance to the round of 16.

But, Tricia, there is no next year. The World Cup is played every 4 years. The good thing is, it just started on Friday (and ends July 11), so you haven’t missed too much.

Thanks for the lesson! Every 4 years! Wow! Ah, would that some sports here only play every 4 years! :p Basketball and baseball seasons are way too long and encroach on my favorite shows! Can you tell I'm not much of a sports fan? ;)

I love tennis and some hockey and that's about it.

That's one of the reasons I love it. Every four years I can handle going absolutely insane for a few weeks. In Europe they show the games on big screens in public squares. If your country wins a match people party in the streets. NO ONE works while their country is playing, employers know this and make sure there are t.v.'s in the workplace, otherwise people would just call in sick. On the other hand when your country loses everyone is depressed. In 1990 when Italy was eliminated in the semi-finals by penalty kicks after not conceding a single goal in any of the previous matches it was like the country was in mourning. On the subway into work the next day it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Three days after England was eliminated in the last World Cup one of the major British newspapers ran a full page headline that read "Cheer Up" because everyone was still so depressed.

Every other sporting event (including other soccer events) could disappear from the face of the earth and I wouldn't notice, but if the World Cup is not held every four years there will be trouble.:D

Wow! I don't think anyone here gets quite that riled up about any sport!

That's one of the reasons I love it. Every four years I can handle going absolutely insane for a few weeks. In Europe they show the games on big screens in public squares. If your country wins a match people party in the streets. NO ONE works while their country is playing, employers know this and make sure there are t.v.'s in the workplace, otherwise people would just call in sick. On the other hand when your country loses everyone is depressed. In 1990 when Italy was eliminated in the semi-finals by penalty kicks after not conceding a single goal in any of the previous matches it was like the country was in mourning. On the subway into work the next day it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Three days after England was eliminated in the last World Cup one of the major British newspapers ran a full page headline that read "Cheer Up" because everyone was still so depressed.

Every other sporting event (including other soccer events) could disappear from the face of the earth and I wouldn't notice, but if the World Cup is not held every four years there will be trouble.:D

I watched it Saturday. Poor Goalie Green! Not a real fan, but glad I saw it. Honestly, though, that constant vuvuzela blowing was driving me crazy! :eek: I did find that it was easier to take while watching the game rather than being in another room when it was on!:p

I missed seeing my team, Serbia play yesterday:( They lost to Ghana 1-0 whose coach is Serbian! From what I hear, they didn't play very well. My parents are both Serbian and soccer is huge there and for immigrants here. Friends of mine had a private viewing party at a local bar-at 10am yesterday! Here's hoping they do better against Germany!

I love watching soccer when I can. I coached my oldest son for many years and then coached my youngest until he switched to baseball exclusively.
Soccer is almost like a chess match in many respects. The one thing that annoys me about it is the players constantly whining to the refs when there is a little contact. Seems over the top at times. It's a great game though.
Congrats to the US for getting the tie the other day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.