anyone experience this?

divagirl

Cathlete
My energy has seriously dropped. There used to be a time when an hour workout didn't seem like enough. Lately, there are days I can barely make it through a one hour workout. Today I did bootcamp and had to quit at #7 because I felt too weak to go on. I had a couple bites of a banana prior to working out but I have such a hard time working out in the mornings anymore and evenings I'm not much better. My body feels heavy a lot. I took a one week break from all weight training 2 weeks ago and kept cardio light thinking maybe that maybe I was overstressing myself. I feel like I can only get 3 "good" workouts in a week. Heat, allergies...I don't know. Maybe a trip to doctor in order?

Tina

Tina - it happens to me too. First of all, if I only had a couple of bites of banana before BC, I would not make it nearly as far as you did! You know better what your body does though - mine just needs food before working out or I get faint. But back to your question. My allergies/asthma play a big part in how I feel. Hormones too, including thyroid. And sometimes, I just feel weak for a while and then boom, the energy hits. I wish somebody would figure it out!! I do notice that when I eat really well, and drink lots of water, I do feel better/more energy. And I can overdo it and wear myself out. And if I'm stressed... well, who knows. All I know is that as I get older, everything bothers me more and the balance becomes more and more delicate x( Then again, I am in the best shape of my life so I'll keep walking that fine line of the perfect balance.

Good luck - this has been no help, probably, but you are not alone. And even if you get 3 good workouts in a week, that's better than 0,1,or 2 good workouts ;-) . A trip to the doctor couldn't hurt - they can check your thyroid, Vitamins B and D, other levels, etc. Has anything changed in your life? New medicines, different eating habits, stresses, stuff in the air (allergies),...

It just sucks to feel weak, and frustrating too. I hope you get some answers.

I'd love to see answers to this question, as I went through the exact same thing before I got pregnant (and was forced to dial back my workouts anyway).

I couldn't figure it out. Took time off, and that didn't help. Ate before I worked out, and that didn't help. Worked out at night, same story...

I had all of the signs of overtraining, but I gave myself a break and it didn't nothing.

When I got pregnant, I had to back off of my workouts, and that helped becuase I was doing easier work than I always had been.

It could be a viral thing, one you'll never get officially diagnosed because they're so transient and not always super obvious symptom-wise.

I went through a 2 week period where I was probably the most exhausted I had ever felt. I don't take naps, yet I found myself actually resting on my bed between shuttling the kids from one activity to another. It was to the point where I said to my husband, "I think I need bloodwork done. Something's wrong."

He agreed and wrote the order, but I didn't run to get my blood drawn right away. By the time I was ready to get tested, the symptoms were letting up. I decided to wait and see, and sure enough...I was feeling fine within days. We concluded it had to be some mystery virus. His favorite line: "Somethin's goin' around."

I wouldn't discourage you from visiting your doctor, but be aware that you (hopefully!) may get the mystery virus diagnosis. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.