Anyone Else w/ High Arches???

pebblesus

Cathlete
I have big feet. Long feet with high arches and the top bone (is it the navicular?) sticks up to the point caution needs to be taken when wearing shoes and laces sometimes need to be loosened.
When I was a kid I could not squat. I could go down maybe to a 90 dregree angle, but not much further without falling backwards on my bum. Got some stuff from the dance instructors etc for not getting down low enough (you need to create an acute angle for a lot of dance or skating that i did)
If I wanted to sit into a complete squat (like if you were squatting in a bush ;) then I would have to lift up onto my toe area.. this came quite naturally.
In high school I determined I had to wear shoes with an elevation (an inch or two was fine) in order to speed walk from class to class without getting immense tension, burning and pain in my shins.

Today its no different. I don't wear flats, unless well cusioned sneakers for the gym. I still can't squat low and still, the more I lift my heel up the lower I CAN go (Not good if you're on skates and can't life your heels up to squat.)
Plus I have externally rotated hips which point my knees and feet outwards (yes, duck feet haha). I think that both of these factors cause the ankle weakness and bad knees (left one swells up sometimes after I have been walking around flat or bare footed too long).

Hmm.. anyone else have either of these problems and what are your experiences?
I can't really talk to anyone as they don't have the same issues so they can't understand why I can't do basic things (like squat low, wear flat shoes or do a weighted lunge with stability).. they think Im either a weakling or a crybaby Im sure lol!
But I wanted to know how others have delt with these issues, what can be done to alleviate and what advices you have gotten??
Please share :)

I have high arches I don't think I can compare them to you though. I get really bad shin splits and cramps in my feet. I have not had much help with them. I just have to buy tennis shoes quit often because once they start getting worn in I don't have enough support.

I can't go as low as I like in a squat. And I can't use very heavy weights with lunges because I lose my balance very easy.

My feet were cramping really bad yesterday and I was cursing my arches.

Farrah

Yeah, I have them too. They aren't as bad as yours though. I do tend to get shin splints that seem to never go away. And it's hard to find shoes that fit because people with higher arches tend to have wider feet. I do get some killer foot cramps from time to time as well. I find that having the right kind of shoes for higher arches has helped me quite a bit.

Carolyn

I also have high arches, but not as bad as yours. Have you been to a podiatrist?

Before I found out that I had high arches, I thought it was normal for feet to hurt all the time. After wearing custom made orthotics, my feet didn't hurt anymore.

Ah, is that why I have so much trouble with weighted lunges? I've been working out for years and still can't manage this. I use one dumbbell and a pole to steady myself.

Yes, I have very high arches. I also have the duck feet, which I despise. I don't have ankle problems, but I have a lot of trouble with my knees. No hip problems during the day, but at night they ache.

I do wear flat shoes almost exclusively with few problems and can do a complete squat, although I rarely do because of knee issues. I have always worn flat shoes, though, and this may be why I don't have trouble with them now. I did have plantar's fascitis in one foot for about a year, but it went away on its own and hasn't returned.

The thing that helps most with both the knee and hip problems is just strengthening the muscles around them, which you already do. I've can't say that I've really dealt with these issues. I've just adapted to them.

Shari

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.