Anyone else make non fitness goals?

elliemom

Cathlete
Let me preface thus bt saying my DH and I are Geeks.

Every year we make a list of goals (not resolutions) that we would like to accomplish during the year. Then every 3 months we revisit the list and see how we are doing.

Some examples- how much we want to put into savings each month
How we can simplify our daily and weekly routines
We pick a needy charity or group that we devote one weekend a month to helping.
We make goals for our kids like taking them to 3 outdoor music events (mostly free) appropriate for their age groups.
We get in touch with and try to maintain long term friendships. we also get rid of the Toxic people in our lives that never show up or call etc.

Anyone else????
Do tell
I'm running out of ideas
ellie

I don't think those are geeky goals, Ellie. Maybe a little dorky, but def. not geeky. ;)

My goal is to finally, really save some money. I have enough to get by, but I was wishing I had a nice chunk to buy some super low priced stocks the last few months. Or, just to HAVE. :)

Yep...I do.

I haven't thought about mine for this year yet (Well...next year...you know what I mean!!).

In years past, I have set goals for my scrapbooking (a certain event, or getting up-to-date on the kids, etc.)

to read a certain number of books (which will include Gone With the Wind for '09)

to finish graduate courses

organization of certain parts of the house

general goals like yelling less (at the kids...I'm not really a yeller, but I can go through phases where little things bother me...this one hasn't been a goal for awhile, thank goodness!)

money goals (savings, spending less, etc.)

A few years ago I set a goal of not forgetting any birthdays. I failed miserably on this one...might have to try harder and make it a goal again for 2009. Cards mean a lot to certain people, or even a phone call. I will need a special calendar for this goal!

Does that help? I know it helps me to start thinking about what I will be working on to make me a better person in 2009. Thanks for starting this one!

DH and I do this every year. We have personal and combined goals. It's fun and a good gauge of who and where you are. Not geeky at all. :)

Sparrow

I'm a geek in the opposite way..... on NYE, I look back over the things I've accomplished in the last year -- sometimes I look back over multiple years. It's an interesting exercise -- I think we all accomplish a lot more than we sometimes give ourselves credit for. This year I've been keeping an "accomplishments jar" for the whole family and I want us to go through it on NYE or New Year's Day -- that'll be fun because I'm sure I put little things in there that we've all forgotten about.

ETA: I want the reading of these to inspire us to set some goals as you all do....

-Beth

My goals?? To actually finish the things I have started. Which means...I need to focus more. I suppose I'll be spending less time on the Cathe boards:)
Keith

Beth- what a great idea!!!!
I am going to do that for my young boys this year.
What a good self confidence booster. I gon't think we give ourselves enough credit for the things we have achieved. I am excited to tell boys and DH
Thanks
ellie

Ellie, I think your goals are all good! I do this, too. Here's my list for this year:

1. CLEAN HOUSE financially and get serious about reducing debt, being responsible, saving money, etc. (If you are a Clean House fan, my finances are like some of those rooms...Like Nicey would say, "This is FOOLISHNESS, people!"

2. Attend church on a regular basis. (This year's goal was to find a church home, which I did, but attendance has been rather...sporadic.)

3. Continue to do things with DD to broaden her culturial horizons.

4. Continue good eating, cooking as much as possible with good, nutritious ingredients, and exercising.

Mine is to stay smoke free. I quit 10 days ago and its hell. I started my New Year's resolution early. ;) Oh and yep, I smoked..alot. YUK. It was the one habit I didn't want to let go until now.

Well, I have never really liked to closely examine my life so have managed to stumble through it with as few personal goals as possible, thus eliminating the need to beat myself up when I don't achieve them. :(

BUT, I have to say that since joining this forum, meeting some GREAT people, refocusing (albeit a little derailed as of late) on my health and fitness, I am so encouraged to do exactly what you have described... not just in my health journey, but in other aspects of my life...

1 ~ I, too, want to eliminate ALL our debt and start putting away a good chunk of change each month... We make a good living and are very blessed in this respect, but we spend recklessly at times, overindulging our extravagant taste and want for very little... It's time to invest in our future overindulgences and retirement wishes!

2 ~ I want to make it a better habit to keep up with housework... Seriously, after joining these forums I have completely disregarded my wifely duties and let things pile up, dust bunnies populate, let the furbaby get a little scraggly, and a little more soap rings in the shower! again, looking at what is important, it is something we are going to be focusing on in the new year!

3 ~ get out of the house more! We live in a GREAT area, mild (ok, sometimes downright HOT) but compared to where we came from, there is absolutely NO reason that we can't get out of the house more... traveling, exploring our surroundings, and just NOT sitting in front of our computers (talk about GEEKS!)

Well, if I can manage these tasks in the new year I will definately be very proud!

thanks Ellie for the thread!

My two goals for 2008

...which I will repeat in 2009:

1. Get organized. It's right up there with "get in shape" as my holy grail of unattainable goals!

2. Read 50 books this year. Yeah, it was a high number and I didn't make it. But on the other hand, I read a lot more than I would have if I hadn't set the goal. So next year I'll set a more realistic goal and see if I can get to it. (And that's what motivated me to read Gone With the Wind!)

I don't set very many goals for myself because I think it's better to focus on a few than scatter my efforts on a bunch.

Ellie-the more I get to know you, the more it's eerie how similar we are! LOL

Like you and everybody else, I make goals that aren't fitness related.

-to complete X number of scrapbook pages in a month (2009's goal will be 10 per month or till I'm caught up)

-to increase my savings (that gets automatically deducted from checking and deposited into savings) each month, even if it's just by $10

-to attend church regularly (haven't been all that committed lately)

-each year I take on a self-improvement "project"...one year was cooking/baking classes at the local college, another year was my Disney Marathon, 2009's self improvement project is to learn to knit (and possibly to start karate?)

-read X amount of books (2009, I'm shooting for 50)

there are more!!!!!

Gayle

What a great thread! I haven't thought much about 2009 yet, but now I'm inspired to think about what I would do differently.

1. Go to church weekly . Cradle Catholic, but you wouldn't know it. ;)

2. Get caught up in my scrapbooking. I'm not too far behind, but far enough that it's buggin' me.

3. Pray regularly. Hmmm. Do I sense a theme here?!

4. Weekly date nights with my husband.

5. Weekly date nights with myself. No. I'm not being dirty. Geesh. I know where your mind was heading. I'm talking about going to Barnes & Noble to read all the magazines for free and savoring every last minute of it!

6. Dust the fake plant in our dining room. It hasn't been dusted since I bought it back in 2003. And that ain't no joke.

7. ..... I know there's more ideas rolling around in my head wanting to be heard, but frankly I'm yawning too hard I can't hear them.

:D :rolleyes: :)

I'm enjoying reading everyone's goals. Great thread!

Mine are:

1) to manage the workload better
2) travel someplace new
3) take an enrichment class of some kind

I don't bother with goals unless I have a roadmap to get there with clear objectives and results. It's nice to say "Get organized!" but rarely comes to fruition unless one has taken the time to define "organize" and then plan incremental steps to get there. Otherwise one tends to end up with a "To Do" list that didn't get done by the time 2010 rolls around. Of course, I have not really thought of anything I want to get done in my personal life....:confused:

I would like to work on some personal issues, curbing excessive and impulsive behaviors and obsessions. I would also like to read more and draw more. I want to be more service oriented, help others, attend church and work on my relationship with God.

I'd really like to learn how to cook, not just use the microwave.

Be better organized. I have turned into such a slob, it's unreal.

Stop spending money foolishly...one big way will be eliminating the fast food stops that have become far too frequent.

Great thread, Ellie!!

I don't bother with goals unless I have a roadmap to get there with clear objectives and results. It's nice to say "Get organized!" but rarely comes to fruition unless one has taken the time to define "organize" and then plan incremental steps to get there. Otherwise one tends to end up with a "To Do" list that didn't get done by the time 2010 rolls around. Of course, I have not really thought of anything I want to get done in my personal life....:confused:

Hey Beavs,
That's why we start now and make clearly defined goals and revisit them every 3 months. That way we don't end up with a to do list.
And since I'm a tad OCD, if I make a to do list everything MUST be checked off. Which is why one of my yearly goals is to NOT make a to do list!!
I need some sanity you know
ellie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.