Anybody uses a blow dryer????

Rose11

Cathlete
Ok it's fun to talk about girly stuff once in awhile and right now I need help finding a product. Any of you ladies has curly or wavy hair and uses a blow dryer to get it straight?

My hair has a little bit of a curl to it. I always leave it like that because it's long and I exercise almost daily so I don't have time to blow dry it every time I wash it. The thing is that I have two events this summer (my friend's milestone birthday, and one of my friends is getting married) and I'm famous (maybe infamous) for not doing anything with my hair. I always have the same ponytail. I just go to the salon to get it cut and I let it air dry. I know that if I find the right product I can blow dry it straight by myself. The thing is that there are so many products out there that I don't know which one to buy for blow drying my hair straight. I want one that helps me de-frizz my hair and that leaves my hair soft. What do you guys use? I need suggestions here :)

From another with Curly Hair - I have used a product Called Bed Head TIGI together with some Friz eaz Hair Serum and some kind of leave in conditioner. It usually comes out fairly staight. Then style the way you want it. Or you can style as you dry it also.
Another option is to get a straightening Iron (I have one called GoldNHot which is pretty good)

Good luck

I have naturally curly hair and I blow it straight all the time and I used a jumbo curling iron to make it sleek and shiney.
I use a huge round brush and I blow in layers, after each layer I put a thin layer of spray shine on it and then iron it. Then I go onto the next layer until I am done and after all is finished I have nice shiney hair and not a curl to be found. I have used friz eaz and I didn't notice a differance. it was the spray shine and the blow drying and the ironing.
If you blow dry never blow up always blow down to the floor that way you will avoid the frizzy blow away look.

Actually the naturally, soft curled look is IN this Summer and rod straight hair is slightly passe, according to In Style Mag and all the other beauty mags, so why not use a diffuser to accentuate that girl and wear your hair down, not in a pony tail? Natural hair always looks best.....

Clare

Yeah I know I read it on June's Glamour magazine. So I guess my natural look is "in". I won't be blow drying my hair straight every day just for those two ocasions because I always look the same and then they take pics and year after year I always have my curly hair. I don't want to change my hair color or do something drastic as getting my hair chemically straightened. I just want to have it straight for those events and then I'll go back happily to my curly hair. The thing is I need some product to put in my hair before I blow dry it cause I don't want to damage it and I want to get it straight quickly. I've gotten nice suggestions already. Let's see what I end up doing ;-)

Hi Rose, I love the straight iron I bought at the beaty salon, it works great, I have very wavy hair and I love the straight iron.

Have a good evening

Debbie

Hello Rose!

I highly recommend the Bed Head products mentioned earlier. Specifically get the Control Freak leave in anti-frizz and straightener (it's just one product). Also, you might want to try a flat brush which you can buy at a beauty supply store. Or a round brush depending on what you want to do with it. I have very thick wavy/curly hair and blow dry it straight fairly often depending on the weather. It's nice for a change of pace.

Also, there are products that you smooth on before using hair spray that will add shine and moisture to your hair. Just ask when you buy the Bed Head as I can't remember the name of the product right now. Then, the Frizz-Ease hair spray is very good. One of the few that doesn't make me sneeze.

:D Nicole

I work for a hair care/skin care company plus I also have naturally curly hair. One thing to remember is always dry your hair 90% before round brushing or using the flat iron. I use both the round brush and the flat iron. Also just make sure you have some sort of product on your hair especially your ends before you dry, round brush, or use th flat iron other wise you'll get a lot of breakable quickly. Many of the products the ladies have mentioned below work great. I always thought it was too much work to but once I blow dry my hair almost all the way it only takes about 5-10 minutes to round brush it and I'm done. My hair is just below my shoulders.

Good luck!
Stacy

How to dry it if its long hair???

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. As far as the styling tools I don't have any problems with that cause I have blow dryers, irons (curling and straightening), flat brush, round brush, electrical brush, etc. I bought those because when I had short hair I had to dry it straight otherwise I'd look like a Troll doll (anybody remembers those?) so I'm set with the tools, but still not sure about the products. I've used Tigi products in the past. I remember I used a turquoise blue leave in conditioner, but that was years ago and I don't remember the name (is that Bed head??).

I have a new question now. For all the ladies with long hair. I know you have to divide the hair in small sections and dry them layer by layer, but should you start with the upper layers or the lower layers? Maybe this is a silly question, but I know that as soon as I start drying my hair I won't be mixing my dry sections with my wet sections and if I don't have a plan now it'll be a mess when I try this. Thank you again.

RE: How to dry it if its long hair???

Rose,
I start from the bottem and go up. I first pull my hair up in a clip and take a small layer at a time.
hths,
hugs~
Bec

Hi Rose,

I have curly frizzy hair but got it thermally reconditioned about a year and a half ago, which is a totally separate story lol.

When I did straighten my curly hair, I always divided my hair down the middle and worked from the bottom up. When I got to the top, I often couldn't get the drier areas very straight and would re-wet them with water. After so many years, I got fed up of blow-drying and just let my hair dry naturally then used a straightening iron. I figured that was better than using a blow-dryer AND iron. I know that the irons are so damaging, though. That's why I eventually decided on permanent straightening.

Good luck!
Gina

To:: Gina RE: How to dry it if its long hair???

Where did you get your TR? successful? or less than? just curious since I have been doing some research to see if I want to "take the plunge"!!
Thanks

Yes start from the bottom. I also just use a clip do a layer at a time. I usually do about 3 to 4 sections.

Thanks,
Stacy

To:: Gina RE: How to dry it if its long hair???

Hi,

First, I got a Bio-ionic treatment in NJ which completely damaged my hair and did not give me wash-n-go straightness. Later, I had TR with the Liscio system in another salon in NJ. The results were fine but I didn't care for the staff. I got my touch up at a place in NYC and liked the results very much. However, at my most recent touch up, the results were not good- weird section of zigzag- hard to explain. I'm currently looking for another place in NYC that isn't ridiculously expensive. The best salon in the country, IMHO, is Vincent J in Fort Lauderdale, FL. His site also has a message board full of Q & A's. If I didn't live in NJ, I'd definitely go there. http://www.vincentj.com Click on Advice, then Thermal Reconditioning. Please email me if you want more specific info.

Gina

Gina:

there is supposed to be a place in NYC, very good reputation and very reasonable. If I was anywhere near NYC I would definetley go to him for a consultation for TR, He also does a "mimi" TR, not as harsh as the regular

Leslie Correa
Capelli D'Oro Salon & Day Spa
847 Lexington Ave
New York NY 10021
212-288-7100

I've got long brunette hair, and it gets wavy if I let it air dry. When I want it super straight and really shiny I use the Brilliant Brunette line of products. I shampoo and condition, then apply a small amout of glistening serum while it's still soaking wet. Towel dry, then I put in about a quarter size amout of brilliant Brunette straightening lotion. I blow dry it haphazardly until it's feeling just damp, and then use a vent brush to hold sections taut, making sure to aim the air down the hair shaft. I pin up the top and blow dry each section, (usually about 3 sections per side). I flip my head upside down and blow my roots briefly to add a little volume, and then stand up and give it a blast of cool air to seal it. The last thing I do is pull through the finishing cream, to smooth over any flyaways. :eek: seems like a lot, but it really doesn't take me that long.

The last time I did this, I got lots of comments about how sleek and shiny my hair looked.

I've tried lots of products, and for me the Brilliant Brunette works best. :)

Hi again,

Just recently I heard about this salon and was also thinking about looking into it. Wherever you choose, make sure the stylist has a lot of experience and has been doing TR for some time and does many each week. There are a few different systems- Liscio, Yuko, I-Straight- heard/experienced good results with those. I'd most definitely stay away from Bio-Ionic, Chi, and Rusk. Good luck!

Gina

That Bio-ionic treatment is pretty expensive over here. I was flirting with the idea of getting one a couple of months ago because I heard you get straight hair "forever"(not counting root growth of course) and you wash it and let it air dry just like straight hair. I don't know why I didn't. Probably because of the price. My hair is curly, but also fine, so that means it breaks easily. It's not the same when you have thick curly hair that you can get treatments and not be so worried about your hair breaking out. I've never heard of TR. Where can I get more information about that treatment?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.