Anybody know about........

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Sensitive subject here folks but I need answers and I can't think of a more informed group of people, so here goes....
Does anyone know about colon cleansing and colon cleansing products?
I've read on another forum that cleansing your colon is beneficial not only for health reasons, but that people can actually harbor as much as 15lbs of fecal matter in their intestines, and that by cleansing once/year keeps your system running like clockwork, and reduces bloating caused by matter that is just "lying" around in there. Plus the initial cleansing rids your body of the waste that's built up over the years from fatty foods, etc.
So~does anyone have any info on this topic (thumbs up or down) and if so, any specific products that you would recommend?
I found one website that gives little background info (like I should already know about it), and there products cost a whopping $49.50 if purchased as suggested.
*clearly I am not investing that kind of money in something I have no info about! :)
Thanks for any info guys, sorry about the "touchy" subject, but if anyone knows anything, it's you guys! :)
Donna

There are a number of Colon Cleansing kits available at the health food store for $20- $150. Usually involve a 2-6 week regimen. Most are variations of the same theme and usually work pretty well. The more regular your bowels are normally, the less of a evident impact you are likely to see from using these types of products.

In my personal experience, this is a very effective "health maintainance" that I do once a year, kinda like a tune-up. There is a product my health store has, called simply, "Colon Cleanser" that is basically a super-fiber drink with several added herbs and minerals designed to stimulate vacuuation of the colon. I also take acidophilus bifodus, the refrigerated pill form, daily, which helps a lot. I did not find digestive enzymes added any benefit, but am told the enzymes are more important in older patients (50 and up).

You might check out the book "False Fat Diet" by Dr. Hass. He recommends a number of cleansing diets, 2-6 weeks in lenghth, that won't require any special pricey products, just a special diet.

If you are prone to diarrhea or constipation, it is very important to check with your doctor before taking any product designed for colon cleansing.

If you don't already take fiber, and want to keep this really, really simple.....
Do a three-day juice fast. Drink lemon water with a touch of cheyenne pepper once a day.
After that, do a maximum daily super-dose of fiber therapy for three weeks.
During this period, eat no dairy,anything with yeast, or pastas.
Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
Take acidophilus (NOT YOGURT) and be prepared to be somewhat flatulent: beano is a good product if you don't have mold allergies, or also Phazyme.

I have never tried a colonic since my diet is so high in fiber that my system should be pretty clean of it's own accord! I would agree with Kristina that an occasional cleanse is okay. Remember there's good stuff in oou colons we need for good health and cleansing too much is bad. And, if you are regular, you probably aren't retaining too much for too long.

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Hi Donna,

I tried one of these "kits" about 5 years ago. After being on it for about a week (I don't remember what it was called, but it had many varieties of herbs, etc in it), it caused me to have spotting - very unusual for me.

I asked my doctor about it at the time and she said that there are no regulations for quantity/quality of various herbs in some of these products, and so you may not know exactly what it is you're getting, or what your body is responding to. I went off it immediately and would be reluctant to try anything like it again.

I must admit that I didn't know much about the topic then, and still don't, but I am sure there must be many safe products out there for this purpose. Personally, I drink TONS of water with freshly squeezed lemon in it, and try to eat as many citrus fruits as I can. I have read that this is excellent for the kidneys, colon and liver. I also regularly take calcium (I have reduced bone density at 37 years of age), B complex, Ester-C, a multi, cod liver oil, and Udo's Choice ultimate oil blend.

I like Kristina's recommendation of a 3 day juice fast, followed by a super-dose of fiber therapy. Kristina, what exactly would that fiber therapy entail? I would be very interested to hear more about this particular program.

I guess I just don't know enough about all of the various herbs in these products to know if I want to take them or not.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth :)!

Let us know what you decide, Donna!

Sandi

Hi guys,
See~I'm thinking just what Sandi said, "I don't know enough about what's in these kits to trust my body to it." I'd rather stay as "natural" as possible unless someone has actually tried a specific cleansing that they can say, "oh, I use it regularly and have had no ill effects." I don't have a "regularity" problem or anything, but I just wondered about the "tune up" aspect of a once a year cleansing, and if that would indeed be beneficial to my overall health, plus when I think of the years and years of unhealthy eating I was so accustomed to, I just wonder if it is something I need to consider~sort of like a "flushing" of the plumbing?
So far, I'm thinking along Kristina's idea of the juice fast/fiber therapy. I'd like to hear more about that.
Donna

You could try the "Master Cleanser" or "Lemonade Diet."

I just finished the Master Cleanser, by Stanley Burroughs. I did it for eight days and felt great (well, okay, the first day or two I had some head pains and some lower back/kidney type pain). It's a food fast where you drink water with fresh lemon juice, real maple syrup and a touch of cayenne pepper. You can drink from six to twelve per day, plus water and an herbal laxative tea before bed and in the morning. This drink is actually GOOD and you can read the entire book (I wouldn't have bought it if I had known the whole thing was on line) at this web site:

http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/bowel/master_cleanse.asp

I highly recommend this method. You can do a search for more information - the people that have tried it rave about it. - Kath

RE: I'll try not to be a grouch . . .

In all honesty, these colon-cleansing products, and the sub-industry itself, sound like just some more overpriced, unregulated hocus-pocus to me. As does any juice-fasting or any other radical eating (or non-eating) program. I also think that many of the "benefits" of these schemes are in large part due to a consumer's psychological investment in them rather than any true physical health improvements.

If anyone is going to explore programs like these, my suggestion is to get information from academic, scientific sources, rather than commercial sources. What gets commercialized (and popularized) gets corrupted, and few endeavors are more hyper-commercialized than the "diet and health" industries.

Back to the subject of colon-cleansing, I sincerely think a better approach would be to continue to re-evaluate the diet, making sure there's plenty of vegetable, fruit and grain fiber in it as well as adequate intake of fluids, and continuing a good, vigorous exercise program that includes a lot of weight-bearing vertical work and abdominal and core work that strengthens all of the abs including the transverse abdominus, which is recruited for "#2" work in the ladies' room.

Annette

I know enough ...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-02 AT 12:40PM (Est)[/font][p]to figure that this is just a big money-making scheme that preys everybody's discomfort with the horrible thought that you're carrying around 15 lbs. :eek: of excess fecal matter in your little tummy.

Let me just speak as a "colon authority" of sorts here. I have Crohn's disease and am way in touch with my colon in a way that nobody should be, including having seen the inside of it on live 'tv' numerous times.

Your body already has a colon cleansing system in place. You regularly shed the lining of your colon. In fact, that's what most of your stool is--water, and the lining of your intestines. There is no possible way that anything gets stuck in the digestive tract for any length of time. If it did, you would be very, very sick. Basic anatomy just doesn't support the need for any sort of additional cleansing routine.

Although a once-a-year cleansing probably wouldn't harm you (of course, there's the whole issue of 'what the heck are in these things?') regular use of enemas, laxatives, etc. will really mess up your system.

That said, you should help your colon keep things moving through on an expedited basis, and that just means eating plenty of insoluble fiber. That keeps the bacteria and fermenting food moving right along and helps prevent all sorts of things: constipation, diverticulitis, colon cancer, etc.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

RE: I know enough ...

I've had unfortunate intestinal discomforts and talked to a doctor about this. (I've also seen my digestive system on TV). He didn't think it was a good idea to do stuff like that because it messes with the natural flora in the intestine. Again, once a year won't kill you but if you are feeling ok in that department, why mess around?

Marcia, freezing in northern Sweden

I read some things on www.drweil.com about this subject. You could go to the website and do a search I suppose. I've also read in several of my fitness and health magazines about it. I've never read anything positive about them. Dr. Weil (from what I remember) says that the colon is self cleansing and that it just isn't true that we carry around that kind of excess stuff in our colons. He recommended a diet high in fiber and discourges this practice. It doesn't seem necessary to me.

OKIE DOKIE! :) I'm convinced that I should just continue to eat a high fiber diet, drink plenty of water and let my colon do "it's own thing" as nature intended it to!
Thanks folks, that's why I posted here, I trust your input and instincts! :)
Donna

RE: Flora, fauna, etc.

Hi Donna and all,

I just wanted to add something and respond to a few questions some posed to me. I agree your body has natural colon cleansing, and blood cleansing, and immunological responses. But sometimes the body's natural systems break down and need help. THis is what we are talking about here.
You really don't need expensive products to maintain colonic health. But for some people, it is hard to maintain the constant appropriate diet for optimum enzyme function etc. and a quick fix is better than nothing.
If you are a food allergy sufferer, you are very prone to spastic colon, and also "leaky gut syndrom." (See Dr. haas' book). This can cause excessive diarrhea, constipation, bloating after eating, etc. You are also likely to have too much yeast in your colon.
If you don't have any symptoms- ie you have regular healthy bowel movements and eat well and don't bloat after eating-- don't worry about it. But if not, doing a yearly or bi-annual regimen to make sure you are kind to your colon doesn't hurt.
Some of you asked me about fiber: you can go expensive organic, or metamusil, or fibercon, or whatever. When I cleanse, I take 1 1/2 times the suggested daily dosage. I like fibercon pills because the drinks all taste nasty to me.
Senna is an herb that stimulates the colon: it is a natural laxative and very intense. I myself am very prone to diarrhea because of my food allergies so I must never take a laxative, chemical or natural.
Acidophilus is simply the good bacteria in your body (found in yogurt and other sources). I take it in pill form on the advice of my allergist and it has made a huge difference. I also double the dosage when I have to take antibiotics.
I have a friend who was addicted to laxatives and it is horrible, just horrible. Remember that herbal remedies are medicines and should be used with care.
Now, it won't hurt you to do fiber therapy. It can only help. Many many people I know do the juice fast and lemon/cheyenne therapy and say that it makes them feel great.
If you are not backed up, stay away from laxatives.
I highly recommend Dr. Haas "False Fat Diet" book. Someone on this forum turned me on to it a few years ago and it truly has changed my life. The Dr. is a real doctor, and is not selling any products, and really really knows his stuff. It is available in paperback pretty cheap, comes with all kinds of recipes, supplements for specific health problems, and words of encouragement.

RE: I know enough ...

I'm with you Gretchen. I also am way too in touch with my colon (ulcerative colitis) and this stuff is just a rip off. If you had 15 pounds of fecal matter in your colon, you would have a blockage and would be seriously ill. Anyone who has had a colonoscopy, barium enema or other type of invasive colon exam could tell you that this just isn't true. You have to take laxatives and enemas in order to clean your colon out for those types of tests and there is no way there is 15 pounds of stuff in there.

Plenty of fiber and lots of water should keep things moving smoothly through your system unless you have some type of illness. Another thing to consider is that the use of laxative, enemas, colonics etc could possibly trigger problems with your digestive tract. My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

RE: Here here Annette and Gretchen

I totally agree with the two of you. The "quick fix" is alive and well in every aspect and it seems nothing is sacred. Consumers have to start realizing that just because it is in writing in a magazine, book or on the internet (especially the internet), that does not mean it is the truth or even close to accurate.

This could be a really long vent and so I will stop now.

Kim

Hi, Kristina!
The book you mentioned--does it give any advice about what the best way to deal with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) diet or otherwise? I wake up in the morning with a flat stomach but then I eat even a small meal and I bloat up and look like a pregnant woman! I had a barium enema (pleasant experience!) and nothing out of the ordinary was found (except that I have a few extra feet of colon--strange!).
Anyway, due to process of elimination (no pun intended) I kind of self-diagnosed myself as having IBS after reading up on the subject. I have a lot of the symptoms: constipation and bloating especially.
Please let me know if the book may help me, okay?
Thanks!
Denise

fit4life:

I can commiserate with you. I just saw a gastroenterolgist this past Tuesday. She ran some tests to rule out other things, but is pretty sure it's IBS. I have exactly the same problem as you do with bloating. I absolutely HATE it. When I was on an antidepressant, I had no problems, so you might want to look into that. My problem is that the meds had some bad side effects.

Anyway, the doc I saw has IBS herself, so I know she understands what it's like. Unfortunately, she said there isn't anything that gets rid of the bloating, but I going to keep looking. My $.02 is that these colon cleansing products might be irritating to the GI tract. I personally wouldn't try them, but my advice is to follow your instincts. I have really put out the bucks for herbal remedies, digestive enzymes, etc. My money would have been better spent on videos!

Take care,
Kathy

check out this site for info

Hi Donna,

I have had health problems and saw a professional colon hydrotherapist. Her web site is http://www.sheilashea.com. It was essential for me because I have mercury poisoning and that goes through the intestinal track. Check out the site and see if you think it may be of benefit to you. I agree with the others that unless you are having health problems, it's better to let things move naturally.

If you need more info, e-mail me at [email protected]

Good luck :)

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.