Anybody Gluten Free, and loving it?

kikster

Cathlete
Because I'm not :(

I guess I should give some background (I'll try to give the truncated version). I have endometriosis (horrible TTOM cramps, etc), TTOM migraines, and random aches pains that seem to have no cure. I've gone through the surgeries, eliminated various things from my diet here and there (for weeks/months/years at a time) as the Dr would suggest, with no results... I do NOT have Celiac or any of the "gut" issues associated w/gluten. My stomach is flat (enough, lol) and the only thing that I'm sensitive to/have bloat issues w/is dairy. So basically, as a last ditch effort, it's been recommended that I try going gluten free. It's really whatever :rolleyes: to me at this point because I've gone through giving stuff up before, and I have to willpower to do whatever it takes....if it's gonna help :confused:

But..I'm wondering... Did you find that you went through a detox/withdrawal period? Where things got worse, before they got better? I'm not paleo/primal, but just recently went gluten free (3 weeks now), and feel horrible. I have no energy, I'm breaking out like crazy, and my mood ranges from depressed to mad to just plain irritable. It's like PMS all month long :( I'm miserable. Just wondering if it gets any better?

Hi there :)

Yes, i'm GF (diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago) and i'm also on the paleo diet at the moment (because of a slew of other issues that came along with the celiac).

Saying that it's an adjustment is an understatement :( And yes, it gets bad before it gets better. Your body is accustomed to making energy from the carbs/grains associated with all those gluten rich foods. Are you replacing any of the missing foods with GF grains or going for extra fruits, fats, etc? With the paleo diet I've had to increase my fat intake significantly (healthy fats of course :) ). It took my body weeks to adjust to making energy from the fats rather than starches and sugars, but things are starting to look up :)

You may want to consider talking to a nutritionist about your current diet now that you are trying GF... just to make sure that other important nutrients arent missing. What does the rest of your diet look like now that you are GF?

Hey Jenn :)

That's my issue...my diet was VERY grain rich before. I've been grinding my own grains and making all of my baked goods 100% whole grain, and from scratch for about 7 or so years now (switched to that hoping for "healing" when I gave up processed/white flour/white sugar foods). So now my body (or maybe just my mind :rolleyes: ) has become accustomed to getting all of it's energy, fiber, etc., from whole grains. I've lost weight and was able to see promising physical (outward) changes from eating that way, but the inside stuff isn't really getting better. I thought it was starting to get better, because my cramps started easing up a bit, but then they were replaced by migraines that last for days...

Anyway, I guess I'm rambling and not really answering your question, lol. I eat lots of good fats from fish and nuts, and since I was already a pretty clean eater, I do eat quite a bit of fruits & veggies (although I've even increased that lately in order to try to match the amount of fiber I was getting before...). As for the breads and such, I'm not really seeking to replace them as much, because most of the GF crap out there disgusts me w/how highly processed they are. I'd hate to go backwards in that aspect (most of the GF breads and such seem as bad or worse than their white flour counterparts w/all of the white rice, starches, and gums added to make them look like "bread"...ugh :confused: )

Have you tried zinc, calcium or magnesium supplements for the migraines? Zinc really alleviates my PMS migraines. I just take it at the onset of a headache, it reduces the severity.

Are you getting enough carbohydrate? Some carbs are good, no carbs is bad, and too much makes for horrible IBS/PMS/PCOS.

Some healthy foods can irritate the guts, including kale, ginger (good for arthritis, but very irritating to the gut), cheese (any kind.) flaxseed oil, or psyllium (its supposed to help with IBS, but just didn't help me.) The average OTC multivitamin caused me trouble (the binders are usually a gluten source). Some people don't tolerate legumes at all, it depends on the person. I can't eat rice, it really causes me pain, but I can eat quinoa, lentils, and steel cut oatmeal (even though some say its a gluten source, but then again, I'm not a celiac.)

When I was GF, I had none of those 'transitional' symptoms. I wonder if you were experiencing a parasite in your gut that was living on gluten.

I do not recommend most of the 'GF' products, they will only make your symptoms worse.

Have you tried an elimination diet? That might help narrow it down.

What I did to repair my gut after an adverse reaction to antibiotics that culminated in 18 months of IBS he## was as follows (some may help):

1. I had a lot of success with Ganaden's Digestive Advantage capsules.
2. No canned foods of any sort (estrogen in the lining.)
3. No soy (no tofu, tempeh, soy sauce.)
4. Triphala really helped me heal my villi. Its not easy to take, it can make things run through you and can make you mildly nauseous, however you only take it for a few weeks, just one course (one bottle, 2 caps, 3x/day.) I used the 'organic India' brand. Nature's way is ok too.
5. Kefir was very soothing to my gut.
6. A really good fish oil and evening primrose oil helped with my PMS/cramps.
7. Magnesium also helps with the cramps. If you are taking a calcium supplement, you must also take enough magnesium so that it is absorbable. Otherwise it can cause constipation/pain.
8.Yoga really helps with IBS/gut issues. I know it seems like the last thing you want to do when you are hurting.
9. Warm epsom salt baths with lavender, Dresdner is my favorite lavender brand. You could try the tiny packet to see if you like it. Its not the same plant as is typically found in American bath products, it comes from Germany. Soak for about 20 minutes in warm water before bedtime. It really helps soothe PMS agitation.

For me, it turned out it wasn't the gluten that was the problem, but rather the fact of the molds that like to grow on it. Have you tried eliminating all molded foods? cheeses? Peanuts grow molds very easily. If I get (what I call) molded accidentally (ate something with hidden mold.) I take a couple of IBS caps and if that doesn't work I use a round of triphala.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs

Alisha

I have avoided gluten for about 6 years. I have a blood disease called ITP, that my body destroys platelets (the stuff that causes you to stop bleeding when you cut yourself). No one knows why a person has ITP, but can be serious if your platelet count becomes to low. I have found being GF to be the most important factor, plus if I am ill, or not getting enough sleep, or stressed it can almost dangerously low. The reason for my long-winded explanation is to say why I just avoid, as I don't sick when I eat gluten but it can be hard to stop a cut from bleeding. If I avoid gluten and take care of myself my platelet level will be almost normal.

I saw a new book at the library this past weekend that has given me a lot of useful info: Wheat Belly by William Davis. He is a cardiologist who works with people to help them solve health problems. He has found that gluten (and lesser so all grains) cause or makes worst a lot of health problems. Makes sense a lot of problems like diabetes, obesity rates have multipled in past couple of decades. Wheat flour has also been played with a lot genetically in the past few decades without looking at how it effect health.

He also is against the gluten-free products for the same reasons as you metioned Kiki. The book is well researched as well things he has seen in his practice. Has helpful info what to avoid and what to eat.

As of Sunday morning I cut out grains. I generally have old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast and several times a week have popcorn as a snack in the evening. I skipped his section on withdrawal symptoms, as I had no problems when I cut out gluten. Yesterday I felt really sad in the afternoon, for no reason and ever feel so very infrequently. Last night a mild caffine withdrawal like headache (and one tonight). Looked up his withdrawal symptoms and these are some of the most common. Said he generally people have withdrawal symptoms for 2 to 5 days and rarely people have had troubles for 4 weeks when giving up gluten or all grains.

Other symptoms include: fatigue, mental fogginess, irritability, don't want to exercise. These symptoms can be as strong as when giving up cigarettes. I don't remember if he said it or I have heard it elsewhere, but when you experience withdrawal symptoms, than it really shows that your body is addicted to something that is not good for it.

website for the author Wm Davis Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight He has info as well as some great recipes. I think the HeartHawk's Miracle Pancakes for One is delicious. Also info and recipes available from his links.

Last edited:
Read this post and went to the Wheatbelly site....and just spent a very interesting 2 hours perusing the site and surfing other links....I could spend a day doing this, so interesting.

Unfortunately the house badly needs a "pre Xmas" clean up so that will have to wait.

Good luck Kikster

cheers
Rosemarie

I saw a new book at the library this past weekend that has given me a lot of useful info: Wheat Belly by William Davis. He is a cardiologist who works with people to help them solve health problems. He has found that gluten (and lesser so all grains) cause or makes worst a lot of health problems. Makes sense a lot of problems like diabetes, obesity rates have multipled in past couple of decades. Wheat flour has also been played with a lot genetically in the past few decades without looking at how it effect health.

He also is against the gluten-free products for the same reasons as you metioned Kiki. The book is well researched as well things he has seen in his practice. Has helpful info what to avoid and what to eat.

As of Sunday morning I cut out grains. I generally have old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast and several times a week have popcorn as a snack in the evening. I skipped his section on withdrawal symptoms, as I had no problems when I cut out gluten. Yesterday I felt really sad in the afternoon, for no reason and ever feel so very infrequently. Last night a mild caffine withdrawal like headache (and one tonight). Looked up his withdrawal symptoms and these are some of the most common. Said he generally people have withdrawal symptoms for 2 to 5 days and rarely people have had troubles for 4 weeks when giving up gluten or all grains.

Other symptoms include: fatigue, mental fogginess, irritability, don't want to exercise. These symptoms can be as strong as when giving up cigarettes. I don't remember if he said it or I have heard it elsewhere, but when you experience withdrawal symptoms, than it really shows that your body is addicted to something that is not good for it.

website for the author Wm Davis Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight He has info as well as some great recipes. I think the HeartHawk's Miracle Pancakes for One is delicious. Also info and recipes available from his links.

I second this recommendation! :D
I gave up grains 8 months ago because I turned 49 and had not reached my physique goals. I am determined to do this by the age of 50.
Prior to the diet change I felt tired, experienced energy highs and lows, suffered weight fluctuations, low grade depression, always feeling hungry and never satisfied.
I found this book after I made the change and it confirmed what I was experiencing. Fat gain is only one minor side effect to today's engineered wheat. What it does inside the body is pretty scary.

I forgot to mention....I did go through detox. If I can remember correctly, it lasted a few weeks before it got better. I feel 100% better!

Last edited:
Hello there,

I am not gluten-free but did have a lot of uterine issues a few years back. I won't get into much detail, just that it was hell on earth. I was pretty much convinced I would never become a mother, which I so desperately wanted.

After much thought and research, I decided to try acupuncture and TCM (Chinese herbs). I went to a licenced TCM doctor, very reputable (ha ha did not even speak English well. His staff had to translate). What was utterly amazing, was that he could tell my health problems, just touching the pulse on my wrist. Now let me clarify, I DID NOT tell him I had uterine or severe urinary tract infections prior to him diagnosing me. He tailored my diet to my health issues, it resembled the Okinawa Diet (you really should Google it, if you are not familiar. These people on Okinawa have the highest life expectancy and the lowest cancer rates in the world. Obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack & stroke is unheard of. It's fairly common for 90 year old's to keep physically working the fields). I love Japanese food, so it was very easy to adapt anyway. Within a few months, I saw DRASTIC improvements. One year after that, I conceived my daughter.

Now, I am not saying TCM or acupuncture is a miracle or solution to everything. My experiences with it have been positive and nothing short of incredible. I forgot to mention that I suffered from migraines and lower back pain since I was a teen. Acupuncture helped with those too. Western medicine has always played a big part of my life, but I have found a new respect and love for Eastern Medicine too. I was open to all options when all others failed, and had I not been, I don't know if my daughter would be here today.

I told you my story today not to try and convince you that TCM is the solution to your problems, but so you can see there is hope. Maybe even without eliminating gluten.

Good luck & best wishes,

Natasha

Wow. You guys. Thanks for the responses :eek: So much to think about/research.

OK, so I'll try to address some of the stuff that you guys have said, so that you have a little more background than my earlier truncated version, lol..

*First, I was not having any of the gut issues associated w/gluten. I was very regular (sorry if TMI, lol), was seeing the body transformations that I desired (mostly - I mean, we all could use a little tweaking here and there ;) ) and I'd finally gotten my skin under control (I went through a horrible bout of adult acne in my early twenties), and the scars left behind from the acne were finally going away. I'd always attributed those things to the way that I ate, and so did my Dr's because outwardly I appear so "healthy." This is why the GF diet was not recommended until last....

*As for supplements, I take (and let me know if something is missing/should be taken out):
~Omega 3-6-9 in oil form (has flaxseed, borage, primrose, and fish oil in it)
~Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D supplement
~Eye Caps Vitamins (contains Vitamins A,C,E,B2, Zinc,Selenium, Copper, Manganese, and Lutein)<<<<< IDK if this has gluten in it? :confused:

Things that I've eliminated:
~White flour & Sugar
~Coffee
~Dairy
~Pork
~Shellfish
~and now..gluten

I've just started adding Yoga into my routine, after years of avoiding it like the plague, lol - so it does provide some (temporary) relief

Natasha: I used to see a Korean acupuncturist, about 5 years ago, and she was awesome..But moved back to Korea. :mad: I hadn't really been able to find another "recommended" person that specialized in TCM, since, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so, in a heartbeat. You're right, she was able to tell me so much about myself (vs the other way around in Western medicine, lol). And she did have me on a similar diet. It was mostly meat (that was her catchphrase w/me, lol "more meat!" - her English wasn't the best, but she did get that point across. ;) ) The second most important thing was vegetables & she stressed that I eat a variety, not only green, lol - how did she know? (At the time I was only eating broccoli, green beans, green bell peppers, lol - didn't even realize that I was being so prejudice to the rest of the rainbow :p ) But I remember taking her instructions VERY literally, and all I ate was meat and vegetables. One day I went to see her and complained about the same stuff I'm basically saying now being GF (no energy, moody, breaking out, being irregular, etc... and she was like what did you eat for breakfast this morning? I said "eggs, bacon & fruit", and she was like "no toast or bagel or anything? - there's your problem!" :eek: She was saying that although I should focus more on the other stuff, if I need the energy, eat the carb..but just in moderation, not allowing it to be the main focus of my meal...

Anyway, all that was just to say that I do firmly believe in TCM, and wish I had more time to work w/her, because she also had me on some kinda herbs that I have no idea what they were (they were liquified, I just drank whatever she gave me, lol :rolleyes: ) and it was the only time that I felt like someone was treating me as a person, not just my symptoms...It just feels like such a guessing game, and I'm spending my whole life chasing after "normal" - whatever that is....

Sorry this turned into a major vent, ladies..Idk if half of that even made sense :(

I'm off to look into the books, websites, and supplements you all mentioned...

Last edited:
Hello there,

I am not gluten-free but did have a lot of uterine issues a few years back. I won't get into much detail, just that it was hell on earth. I was pretty much convinced I would never become a mother, which I so desperately wanted.

After much thought and research, I decided to try acupuncture and TCM (Chinese herbs). I went to a licenced TCM doctor, very reputable (ha ha did not even speak English well. His staff had to translate). What was utterly amazing, was that he could tell my health problems, just touching the pulse on my wrist. Now let me clarify, I DID NOT tell him I had uterine or severe urinary tract infections prior to him diagnosing me. He tailored my diet to my health issues, it resembled the Okinawa Diet (you really should Google it, if you are not familiar. These people on Okinawa have the highest life expectancy and the lowest cancer rates in the world. Obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack & stroke is unheard of. It's fairly common for 90 year old's to keep physically working the fields). I love Japanese food, so it was very easy to adapt anyway. Within a few months, I saw DRASTIC improvements. One year after that, I conceived my daughter.

Now, I am not saying TCM or acupuncture is a miracle or solution to everything. My experiences with it have been positive and nothing short of incredible. I forgot to mention that I suffered from migraines and lower back pain since I was a teen. Acupuncture helped with those too. Western medicine has always played a big part of my life, but I have found a new respect and love for Eastern Medicine too. I was open to all options when all others failed, and had I not been, I don't know if my daughter would be here today.

I told you my story today not to try and convince you that TCM is the solution to your problems, but so you can see there is hope. Maybe even without eliminating gluten.

Good luck & best wishes,

Natasha

I just wanted to say how much your story touched me, my original health quest began, as a means to get pregnant. :eek: And now, 14 years later, though I've learned so much along the way and gotten into better shape, lost tons of weight, etc., I remain infertile. You are very blessed to have been able to conceive your daughter and have remedied your health issues :D

Rosemary--His website and his links do draw you in. I spent several hours reading them, when I had other things I should have been doing.

I have continued not eating grains (Davis said some people may want to eat in a limited amount the GF ones, but first I wanted to see how I react with none for a few weeks). Still have mild headaches on day 4, but the good thing is hunger is not a demanding feed me NOW feeling, but rather as a reoccuring polite reminder that we would like some food down here. A very new feeling to me! A great side benefit to this is that I may lose the last 10# I have to lose ;=))

I just wanted to say how much your story touched me, my original health quest began, as a means to get pregnant. :eek: And now, 14 years later, though I've learned so much along the way and gotten into better shape, lost tons of weight, etc., I remain infertile. You are very blessed to have been able to conceive your daughter and have remedied your health issues :D

Kikster,

I am glad to share my story with you, but I am truly sorry you are experiencing fertile issues. I cannot say I know how you feel, everyone feels things differently. I know the anger, hurt, frustration, sadness and so many other emotions that goes through your mind while dealing with infertility. My problem was not getting pregnant, it was keeping the pregnancy. I had 7 heartbreaking miscarriages in a row. Even my doctors (yes I went to several) were perplexed. I was given a less than 10% chance of carrying a baby to term. It was not until I pursued TCM that I felt there may be hope after 5 long years. It is so hard to remain positive and strong. I was ready to give up, explore other options (including a child-free life), accept it and move on. I just could not put my body/mind through all that emotional torture. But here I am, with my little angel. YES, miracles do happen.

I wish I could refer you to the TCM doctor I went to, but I live in Canada :(. I am positive you can find one that is just as good as the Korean lady you went to. And yes, the liquid stuff really does taste like crap. But I felt wonderful, so much energy and I even lost weight without really trying. They also do stress to eat more protein, but add some grains and lots of veggies to your meal. Very balanced. I love that way of eating and try to adapt it as much as possible. I mean, to have the longest life expectancy in the world and the lowest rates of cancer, those people must know something right?

IMO, Yoga and Tai Chi are excellent for uterine cramps/spasms and overall health. I am not a Yoga purist, but I do love how it calms the mind/body. Rodney Yee is amazing. The man is, like what, in his 50's and looks like a 20 something!

Anyway, take care and I wish you only the best of luck. Please keep me posted. :)

Natasha

I went GF last spring after we finally figured out that 5 years of devastating health issues had been caused by food allergies. We eventually determined I had been in a state of anaphalaxis for 5 years. In my search for how to deal with them I checked out and interlibrary loaned every book I could find on food allergies. I found the book The Food Allergy Cure and it completely changed my life. The book explains how you can cure food allergies by yourself, but I found a practitioner about 20 miles from my house. I can not tell you how finding her has changed my life. And even though the book explains how to cure yourself I don't think I could have.

Now my food allergies are pretty much cured. I can eat whatever I want (including foods that previously caused anaphalactic shock). I choose not to most of the time however because I feel better when I am eating whole, unprocessed food. I can say the relief at being able to go out to eat or to a friends house without having my epipen next to my plate or telling the server which is my preferred hospital before I eat is worth just about anything to me. I hope you find a way to nourish your body that makes you feel well.

Shayne

I believe Omega 6 can cause inflamation and that Omega 9 is not an essential fatty acid (because the body can produce it on it's own from other fatty acids consumed).

I take only Omega 3.

*As for supplements, I take (and let me know if something is missing/should be taken out):
~Omega 3-6-9 in oil form (has flaxseed, borage, primrose, and fish oil in it)
~Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D supplement
~Eye Caps Vitamins (contains Vitamins A,C,E,B2, Zinc,Selenium, Copper, Manganese, and Lutein)<<<<< IDK if this has gluten in it? :confused:

Wow. Thanks for telling me that..I'll be looking deeper into it & changing to supplement that is anti-inflammatory..

Shelbygirl said:
I believe Omega 6 can cause inflamation and that Omega 9 is not an essential fatty acid (because the body can produce it on it's own from other fatty acids consumed).

I take only Omega 3.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.