Any Runners out there?

emigliori

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I recently took up running again after not doing so for many years. I thought it would be tough on my body at this point but I am loving it and not experiencing any joint or muscle issues at all much to my delight! I have found it to be such a stress relieving and calming experience plus being outdoors has been so nice after this winter we just had.

So, I'm training five days a week for a 5k that I'll be running on mother's day. After that I'd like to continue running at least 2-3 days a week and complete more 5k's and hopefully move onto longer distances over time.

Are there any Cathletes out there who are regular runners? How do you weight train without overworking your legs and affecting your runs? What Cathe cardio vids do you supplement with your running?

I'd love to hear any advice. Thanks!

Elizabeth

I wrote a post on the following thread which may be useful to you:

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/total-body-weights-leg-training-292977/

If you are running 5 times per week, this won't leave time for Cathe cardio, if you intend to do weight training to supplement the running. Once you are back in the swing of things, running 3 ties per week is enough to keep improving and it will allow for DVD workouts too each week.

I never run more than 3 times per week anymore. I have learned what I need, what I enjoy and at what point my body starts breaking down.

Clare

I've benn running for years. I run 3 times a week, even when training for a half or full marathon. I find more than 3 times a week is to much for me. During "race prep" I'll throw in a plyo legs work out and work upper body 2 days a week. When I'm not getting ready for a race I might throw in some total body workouts, but still do weight weight 3 days a week on the days I don't run. If the weather is crappy or I just don't feel like running that day I might replace a running workout with one of Cathe's dvd's like Crossfire.

Another runner here. I also find running very meditating. Love it. I only run twice a week and during season ride my road bike on third cardio day. I do two days of upper body weight work with cathe and legs the other. During winter y third cardio is usually with Cathe.

Here's how it looks for me:
Mon upper body
Tues run
Wed lower body
Thurs upper body
Fri run
Sat bike or alternate cardio

I wrote a post on the following thread which may be useful to you:

http://cathe.com/forum/f97/total-body-weights-leg-training-292977/

If you are running 5 times per week, this won't leave time for Cathe cardio, if you intend to do weight training to supplement the running. Once you are back in the swing of things, running 3 ties per week is enough to keep improving and it will allow for DVD workouts too each week.

I never run more than 3 times per week anymore. I have learned what I need, what I enjoy and at what point my body starts breaking down.

Clare

Clare,
I just read the thread you linked. Thank You! So helpful and makes complete sense.
Elizabeth

I've benn running for years. I run 3 times a week, even when training for a half or full marathon. I find more than 3 times a week is to much for me. During "race prep" I'll throw in a plyo legs work out and work upper body 2 days a week. When I'm not getting ready for a race I might throw in some total body workouts, but still do weight weight 3 days a week on the days I don't run. If the weather is crappy or I just don't feel like running that day I might replace a running workout with one of Cathe's dvd's like Crossfire.

I wondered about the plyo, because I have heard it helps with power/speed. I'm training 5 days now, because running is so different from other types of cardio and I feel like I need to condition myself. Also, I live in a moderately hilly area, although the 5K will be more "slopey" than "hilly". Once I get the 5k under my belt I will slow down to 3 days a week of training. When I first started I added a few weeks ago I added Total Body TriSets lower body thinking it was somewhere in between endurance and strength, and I was sore for days. So I stopped, because I had a hard time running. Still trying to figure it out. Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am been running since late 2007 and I started racing in 2008. I only run 3 days a week as my body can't handle anymore than that. I do a leg workout once a week and then do total body workouts or upper body the other days. I run races at least twice a month except in the July when I don't race at all. If I'm not running, my workouts always have a weight component in the workout.

Here is what my week looks like:

Sunday - Long run 8 - 10 miles
Monday - Leg workout
Tuesday - Rest day
Wednesday - 4 mile run
Thursday - upper body workout
Friday - Running intervals (intervals with other exercises mixed in) - or Rest day if I am racing the next day.
Saturday - Race day OR total body weight workout

I always listen to my body so if I am particularly sore after a workout I will back off a bit. This seems to be working for me right now.

Good Luck on your 5K. I love racing. I am doing a 10K on Saturday. It will be my 100th race since I starting racing in 2008.

I am been running since late 2007 and I started racing in 2008. I only run 3 days a week as my body can't handle anymore than that. I do a leg workout once a week and then do total body workouts or upper body the other days. I run races at least twice a month except in the July when I don't race at all. If I'm not running, my workouts always have a weight component in the workout.

Here is what my week looks like:

Sunday - Long run 8 - 10 miles
Monday - Leg workout
Tuesday - Rest day
Wednesday - 4 mile run
Thursday - upper body workout
Friday - Running intervals (intervals with other exercises mixed in) - or Rest day if I am racing the next day.
Saturday - Race day OR total body weight workout

I always listen to my body so if I am particularly sore after a workout I will back off a bit. This seems to be working for me right now.

Good Luck on your 5K. I love racing. I am doing a 10K on Saturday. It will be my 100th race since I starting racing in 2008.

Thanks for the advice! I am excited and nervous. My endurance is not that great yet, so I am just aiming to finish, hence the 5 day training week. I am not to the point where long and short runs make sense. They are all short at this point. But I bought great sneakers and my body is responding well, so I'm taking it a day at a time.

Congrats on your 100th race. That is truly impressive!

I wondered about the plyo, because I have heard it helps with power/speed. I'm training 5 days now, because running is so different from other types of cardio and I feel like I need to condition myself. Also, I live in a moderately hilly area, although the 5K will be more "slopey" than "hilly". Once I get the 5k under my belt I will slow down to 3 days a week of training. When I first started I added a few weeks ago I added Total Body TriSets lower body thinking it was somewhere in between endurance and strength, and I was sore for days. So I stopped, because I had a hard time running. Still trying to figure it out. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Plyo legs made running so much "easier" for me. It just felt like my legs didn't have to work as hard. I too live in a hilly area and we run hills every time we run, it's just unavoidable.

Love to run!

Thanks for the advice! I am excited and nervous. My endurance is not that great yet, so I am just aiming to finish, hence the 5 day training week.

You may find that running 5 days/ week back fires. Endurance is built both on the track and off. Your rest days are just as important as your run days, and that doesn't mean no exercise, it means a day between runs. Since you are just getting started you may find that you progress faster with a day between to cross train (in any way you like). Now, with all those hills I completely understand your predicament. I too live in an extremely hilly place and even to this day I can't run all those hills, sometimes I have to walk it. :eek: I wouldn't worry about your race day, with all of your built up fitness you will find that race day is a breeze. Working on harder hills than what you will encounter on race day will give you an edge.

As for workouts: I prefer to run or do what I call 'road work' (running/walking/jogging) at least 2 days/week. I'm not racing right now, I've had some health issues that drop kicked my health right in the gut for the past 6 months, but I'm getting back into it.

Here is what I'm working with (loosely!):

Sunday: Rest
Monday: Run/walk intervals C25k program plus hiking hills up to 60 min. total + stretch max w/band
Tuesday: Any Cathe steady state workout step, MMA (I double up with other instructors to get 60 min.), Hi/Lo whatever works. Just not too heavy on lunges because running hills is like doing lunges. (it seems to me that way.)
Wednesday: Run/walk intervals C25k program plus hiking hills up to 60 min. total + Solar Yoga (25 min, upper body/core)
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Run/walk intervals C25k program plus 20 min. Kettlebells + 20 min. yoga (any segment from Shiva)
Saturday: Cathe circuit (pick one, any one, I like functional fitness these days).

I get my upper body/core from yoga.
I get my lower body from the hills I run plus Cathe.

Also, there are weeks when I choose to do a more intense yoga workout and I will do a second cardio on Saturday either intervals or steady state, it doesn't matter. I just try not to hit the same muscle group in the same way two days in a row.

Thanks Elsie,

The thread you shared had some good info!! Everyone has given me a lot ot think about :)

I have to agree with what everyone else suggests. I used to run everyday, my running plateaud. I didn't get better until I cut back on my running. I run better now running twice a week, depending on what I am training for. I alwyas like to incorporate plyometrics as well, as that has helped improve my speed immensely. I have been a runner for over 30 years and I think my body has just gotten to the point that if I take a break or cut back on my running, that I can get it back to being my best very easily. More isn't always better, listen to your body (take rest days when needed), always had resistence training,stretch/yoga, and HIIT/Plyo....if you do this, you'll be running for years!!

I am now a part time runner. Use to run 3-4 days a week. Nothing over 5 miles. Over the winter, tried Cathe's spin bike DVDs...love them, easier on the knees. Now I might run once a week. I just find this is better for my body. (turned 51 in January) I take my dog on long walks and might add some interval sprints in...I do miss running as often as I did but as Cathe says..."listen to your body". Good Luck on your race in May!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.