Any Recommendations for Healthy Cookbook for a Christmas Gift?

Boingo1

Cathlete
I was looking at Ellie Krieger cookbooks. I wanted something that has easy-ish recipes with common kind of foods, made healthy.

The Ellie Krieger ones look good, but it's hard to tell.

Anyone have any ideas?

I highly recommend both of Ellie's Cookbooks, So Easy and The Food You Crave. Ellie rocks!

I also recommend Tosca Reno's latest as well as Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I also like The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen and Clean Food by Terry Walters for those vegan food cravings.

I echo Tosca Reno's latest cookbook. I also echo the Clean Food cookbook also.

Another one is Muscle Chow by Men's Fitness.

Thanks! I will look into those!

The person I'm giving it to isn't extremely into healthy eating and exercise. She works out, but more low key. And cooks for my picky brother (she's my SIL :p). So I don't want to go to "clean" with the cookbook. Or too into fitness eating.

With those guidelines I'd stay far away from Tosca Reno and the Muscle Chow book. Those are both pretty hard core clean eating. Ellie Krieger is more gentle. I also like Cooking Light Magazine. How about a magazine subscription instead? There is also Eating Well that's pretty good, too.

Prevention has a Quick and Healthy Low-Fat Cooking featuring cuisines from the Mediterranean that I've had for years and absolutely love. Very rarely have I made something I didn't like. And I'm not normally a huge "Prevention" fan.

I've heard good things about the Hungry Girl ones. :) Chalene Johnson often posts those recipes on her blog and they look great, not too complicated.

Joan (JP44)

Thank you!

I think I may have given her the Hungry Girl one before. (I hate when my brain does that to me).

I will look at the Prevention one too. I bet she would like Mediterranean cooking...

I second Muscle Chow and Tosca.

One of my favorite cookbooks though is Moosewood Restaurant's Simple Suppers. It's not clean per se but focuses on healthy, real ingredients.

HTH!

Unless you're following up on a request for an actual book, I'll second the recommendation for a gift subscription to Cooking Light. Nice to get new recipes and fitness suggestions to suit the season all year long.

Sheila

I agree with the Ellie recommendations. Joel Fuhrman's Eat for Health is a good 2 book set. The second book is basically recipes. The first book is about clean eating.

Jamie Oliver's book may be a nice gateway book (or Ellie Krieger) based on what you are telling us. He is tying to get people away from processed foods but the recipes are simple and the types of food "normal" people would eat ;)

I love Cooking Light, too. And they have several different cookbooks to choose from on Amazon, all with great reviews. I may just have to order a few for myself!:)

I got my sister a subscription to Cooking Light this year. I don't want to look like I picked one thing and gave it to everyone (although that's not a bad idea!).

I appreciate ALL the suggestions (and have bookmarked them for future use!). I ended up getting the Ellie Krieger one (The Food You Crave). ALMOST went with the Moose Restaurant one, but it seemed like it was mostly or all vegetarian (which my brother wouldn't be so thrilled about. he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy).

So Beth, did you MAKE anything from the cookbook or did you just have it in the kitchen for one month?;)

I did not crack open the book until last night! So lame! But I renewed it today. I did not renew the menopause dvd that I never viewed...... TG for my bookmobile! They actually will be coming to our mountain on Christmas Eve day. I'm hoping we have enough free time to take them some goodies because they are so nice to us......

(ok.... I officially hijacked this thread.....)

Hi-
I LOVE the Hungry Girl cookbook. I have her first one, not the newest one but I'm sure that is great too. Now, I will say that yes, they are low fat, but she does use a lot of "processed" foods. Her website has awesome recipes so if you're unsure, swing by there and try some. Most aren't too complicated. (The biggest 'complication' is sometimes trying to find the ingredients!)

Enjoy!

-Amy

I recently pulled out my Eating For Life cookbook by Bill Phillips, and I'd forgotten how incredibly delicious and balanced these meals were!! I highly recommend this one! This book has been a staple in my library for several years. These dishes are so yummy that I often forget that I'm eating clean :)

Also, for anyone interested, the nutritional breakdown of each Eating For Life recipe can be found on-line via the following link: http://www.transformation.com/articles/Recipes/EFL-Nutrition-Facts/58
The original text does not include the nutritional information on each dish. You'll be surprised! :)

My second favorite is Monica Lynn's 5 Square Low-Carb Meals: The 20-Day Makeover Plan with Delicious Recipes for Fast, Healthy Weight Loss and High Energy. Most of the dishes taste great (some with a few tweaks), but I do recall that some of the ingredients were harder to find. However, that was in 2005, and I've noticed that many of the ingredients are now mainstream in most grocery stores. The book also has a couple of good gluten-free options. Filling, wonderful, clean meals in both of these books!

Thanks for the great suggestions by others who have responded to this post. You've given me some new items for my kitchen wish list :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.