Any opinions/info on Synthroid??

Well darnit! I have to pay for my scrips up front (I get reimbursed). I'm seeing the endocrin next month, I'll have to ask her. Stupid drug companies. :mad:

Synthroid making people fat? Clarissa, I think you may be confusing it with something else. I know a lot of women who are on Synthroid, including me, and if anything, it makes it easier for them to lose weight.

Honestly, check your facts. Synthroid allows so many of us to lead normal lives with so little effort. One tiny little pill every morning and no side effects. If hypothyroidism is your worst problem, you're leading a charmed life.

Synthroid making people fat? Clarissa, I think you may be confusing it with something else. I know a lot of women who are on Synthroid, including me, and if anything, it makes it easier for them to lose weight.

Honestly, check your facts. Synthroid allows so many of us to lead normal lives with so little effort. One tiny little pill every morning and no side effects. If hypothyroidism is your worst problem, you're leading a charmed life.

Yes, I understand that. But if you knew my background growing up, you would realize why it is personally important to me...

IMHO, the best medication for thyroid disease is the one that works best for you. Like exercise, medication is not a one-size-fits-all deal.

Many people do very well on Synthroid. I simply can not tolerate it; it gives me severe anxiety. I take the generic, Sandoz, which works perfectly for me; Mylan makes me nauseated. I also take the generic for Cytomel. It took me 3 years of trial and error to figure out what works best for me.

Sometimes treatment is simple and straightforward...sometimes not.

Most people tend to lose weight after taking thyroid meds. That was my experience.

HTH. :)

Yes, I understand that. But if you knew my background growing up, you would realize why it is personally important to me...

Then most certainly you should be discussing this with your doctor so that he/she can give your the facts and you can discuss your concerns, whatever they may be.

Just chiming in with another "it didn't make me fat"!

My thyroid was fine until I had my son last year. I went to the doctor because I was having spell of getting dizzy and nearly blacking out, and with blood work discvoered that I was hypER thyroid. Then in the course of a month, my levels went completely the other way. My T4 was 54! I've had to go through 2 adjustments of Levoxothyrine, but I'm leveled out now after 6 months.

I know you don't want to take meds, but it will really help you feel better. I rememeber you posted something not so long ago about being exhausted and really struggling with getting through work. This makes sense now. You'll get your energy back soon.

And your thyroid level doesn't have anything to do with how well you eat or your fitness level. It's hormonal. And pregnancy causes it to screw up sometimes. So this isn't something that you can control or did to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Now that you know what's wrong, you can go about feeling better!

Make sure you get a retest before you go on any meds. If you had any sort of virus when you had the original thyroid test, it could have messed up the test results. My doctor thinks this is what happened to me a few years ago - blood work came back saying I was hypothyroid, but a full retest a couple of months later showed that everything was fine. I would be especially suspicious if you don't have any of the symptoms mentioned in this thread (fatigue, hair falling out, weight gain, etc.).

I've been on Synthroid for 3 years now. I love it. It's made such a difference in my life. I could hardly get out of bed before I started taking it. I have not gained a single pound. As a matter of fact, all my syptoms have been reversed. Several endocrinologists have told me that some people have been known to use their hypothyroidism as an excuse for their weight gain when in reality, it's their eating habits making them fat. If you ever plan on having children, you should definetely take it. Hypothyroidism can lead to learning disabilities in babies and children.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.