Any odd (but awesome) benefits from strength workouts?

For as long as I can remember, every time I have had to go in for a blood draw, the lab technicians have never been able to find a vein in my arm. (They end up drawing blood from my hand, which is slower and more painful.) Small veins run in my family (my mom has the same problem).

The last time I had to give a blood sample was 4 years ago--from my hand. Since that time, I have become addicted to strength training and all things Cathe.

Fast forward to last week. I did Muscle Max in the morning, and then I went for a blood test. I walked into the lab and started telling the technician to not even bother with my arm and go straight for my hand. The lab tech poked around on my arm for a second and said, "What are you talking about? You have a huge vein right here!" Seriously, I had never noticed that sucker before, but he was there!:D

So my "success" story was an easy, fast, painless blood draw! The only thing I can think to attribute it to is my consistent weight training (and also the awesome pump I got from Muscle Max that morning).

Anybody else experience any odd but awesome benefits of working out with weights?

This may or may not be considered an odd benefit. But, I slacked off/took it easier in March. During that time, I found that the arthritis in my knee and hip was bothering me again. Within a few days of getting back on track, all was fine. It's like my body craves the workouts both weights and harder cardio!! Kinda like 'hit me with your best shot, baby!!":eek:

My odd but awesome benefit was a dramatic increase in my cardio capacity after doing STS strength. I was totally not expecting that! I went from barely being able to do a 4 inch step with Basic Step to now all DVDs on a 6 inch step, even the IMAXes.
Beth

This was more of a vanity thing than a useful benefit, but when I went for my mammogram last year, the tech asked me if I lift weights. When I said yes, she told me that my chest muscles looked great on her computer screen!

I don't do a lot of weight training, I'm in weight loss mode, but low max and these hills has given me legs :p Ok, short 28 inch legs! But, I can sling a flat of 35 waters onto my shoulder no problem. You should the looks on the faces of the people at the grocery store.:D

Increased endurance and power in my piano playing (the really big Classical stuff). The change is really quite amazing to me.

Cardio

I was able to run three 1/2 marathons without actually training for them. And by training, I mean running long distances. I just do Cathe 6 times a week; 3 - strength training and 3 - cardio days.

1. Improvements in cardio
2. Improvements in flexibility! (This is a weird one - I can understand how doing flyes can give you a good stretch across the chest, but I end up more flexible everywhere, and my Yoga poses are more successful.)
3. Better management of joint issues. (I've had rotator cuff problems, and an ACL reconstruction. Shoulder and knee pain/weakness are pretty much a non-issue as long as I keep up my weight training.)

Stebby

Jane! I know what you mean. Ragtime makes my forearms burn, burn, burn. Not so much with Cathe!

Yall have gotten some great benefits! Mine isnt that odd, but i am on week 2 of meso 2 and today i got a wild hair and decided to attempt a step workout for my cardio. I did the 48 min step only premix of Low Impact Circuit. I havent been able to do a step workout in over a year because of my knees. I have only been spinning. STS has apparently already strengthened the leg muscles enough for me to add some step back into my workouts. IM SO EXCITED. I guess ive really benefited from the spinning too because i wasnt even winded thru the entire step workout. im so impressed with myself right now:eek:

jes

Surprised no one has mentioned improved sex drive yet. Improved strength and endurance for everyday tasks as well as the occasional very physical days - moving or big project in the yard. (Maybe that's not so "odd," but is certainly awesome!

This us older thread but I'd love to bring it back because it is awesome!!
It is a great statement or success statement. I'd love to hear what other benefits are happening to you all now as well. Maybe this thread has been over looked before?
Now hope you read over it and add your 2 cents in.
For me my benefits that I haven't considered before or thought would happen is veins and I love that I agree with the OP on this! Also for me is it really helps manage depression and stress. Helps me to cope with every day life. An added thing also besides shrinking some, is just people say I have glowing skin! I never had that before!!

Surprised no one has mentioned improved sex drive yet. Improved strength and endurance for everyday tasks as well as the occasional very physical days - moving or big project in the yard. (Maybe that's not so "odd," but is certainly awesome!

Yep, I back you up on this lol:D:D
certainly and amazingly awesome. Long gone are, those days of finding excuses;);)

Thanks to Renee for bringing back this thread lol. I must have missed it out!:D
I like this thread.

Last edited:
My daughter and I went shopping the other day. A salesperson asked if we were sisters. LOVE IT!!! She was very surprised when I told her of my six grandchildren. LOVE IT!!

When we FINALLY sold our house this spring, the buyers were ready to close and everything happened really quick. Which was great except my husband was working out of town! So me and my 2 sons moved our whole household! I did it! Dressers, beds, couches all that stuff!
Thanks to Cathe!

Christie

We needed to removed an iron rod which had been hammer into the ground (don't ask!!). After 10 minutes of trying, my husband suggested we fetch the angle grinder....

Whilst he was gone, I got hold of the bar, bent my knees, engaged my glutes, pushed up through my heels......and removed the bar!

Thanks Cathe! Not only for the strength, but also the technique ;)

Thanks Cathe! Not only for the strength, but also the technique ;)

This thread is a blast from the past. Thanks to Renee for starting it up again.

I agree with those who have already mentioned the lifestyle benefits. It's empowering to know I can lift, hoist, carry, and move heavy things! And I most definitely agree with Justine's point about Cathe teaching us correct form. Having the ability to lift something heavy is not as important as being able to lift heavy without hurting yourself, throwing out your back, or whatever! :D

Lisa

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention I love that I can control my sons bit bull who is big fat then most bi bulls! He really is a brut! I mean my oldest son seems to have a hard time controlling him he gets pulled around lol and he will be dragged and out of breath because he does not exercise at all. I lift and do Cathe and I can control him and I am not winded at all with him now. Thanks Cathe same thing with hubby, lol
Also doing thing like stability ball crunches ! My hubby was watching me and was saying it looked easy so I handed him my right pound " light" weight and had him to do a few and he could not even do one lol. He didn't say much after. And yes my veins in my hands are always visible and in my arms are not a problem to get at.

I have been working out at home for years doing DVDs. I do mostly Cathe, but also others like Bob Harper, Illaria, Amy Bento, etc. I'm not much of a gym goer, but recently a good friend of mine has opened a new training facility in town. He is trying to help get the word out about his personal training by holding free interval classes. I have been going to them every afternoon. We are doing exactly the same things I do in my Cathe workouts.... push ups, burpees, mountain climbers, incline sit-ups, Kettlebell swings, squats, overhead press, upright rows, lunges, pull ups, step ups, battle ropes, tricep dips, bicep curls.... on and on. We do 20 stations of 50 seconds on and 15 seconds to transition. Then go through it again. I am here to tell you that at 57 years old I am kicking butt over everybody in those classes. There are big ol' weight lifter guys in their 20s who can't finish one circuit, much less two. They don't have the cross training that I do. Most of the women my age can't finish any of the exercises. I am consistently the only person in the class that can do push-ups for a full 50 seconds on my toes without giving out. The same with mountain climbers, tricep dips.... you get the picture. All of us here do these things with Cathe on a routine basis!

I owe ALL of this to Cathe. People just look at me strange when I tell them that I do DVDs at home. They have NO idea what incredible shape you can be in just from doing a variety of DVDs.... strength, cardio, step, kickboxing, etc. I like to call it Cathe my "secret weapon"! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.