Any impact LOVERS out there?

Aquajock

Cathlete
It seems that increasingly, both here on the Cathe forums and on other forums dedicated to home exercisers, impact has taken the place of sugar as the declared supreme evil of modern life. I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any others out there like me for whom impact is neither a safety issue nor a reason to eschew a workout; indeed, I would never get a workout that is exclusively low impact because it would be boring and decidedly underneath my performance capabilities. My knees and other joints are never bothered by it, and I work out on land at least three times a week in sessions that are usually at least an hour long (the cardio portions).

Again, just curious. I'm 48 by the way; not sure if that has anything to do with it.

A-Jock

I don't *LIKE* high impact...but that is for one very simple reason...it is much harder! :p Not from a joint or injury issue for me....but the effort it takes continuosly shows me that there is always room for improvement in my strength and cardio endurance. Soooo, that said, I also feel that I NEED to include more high impact because I NEED it! :D I do run an average of 20 miles a week, but even so ~ doing INSANITY was an eye opener!

Hi, A-Jock!!!!! I love impact too! Although I was battling PF there for a short time, I didn't really stop any impact as much as I probably should have. The PF is totally in check and I've been running and 'impacting' several times a week now. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE high impact exercise!! I do it about 4 times a week. I teach a plyo/bootcamp class, which I love! I don't feel the same without jumping!

When I was 48 I loved high impact--running, jumping, you name it, I did it. I started all of this in my 20s. No regrets. But at 63 I have osteoarthritis in my knees--shrinking cartilage. This has nothing to do with muscles and nothing to do with bone density (I do not have osteoporosis). It's cartilage, and my orthopedic surgeon says it's from too much high impact. You cannot replace cartilage. Once again, no regrets, but I sometimes wonder if I could have prevented some of this.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE high impact exercise!! I do it about 4 times a week. I teach a plyo/bootcamp class, which I love! I don't feel the same without jumping!

Jennifit - would you mind describing your plyo/bootcamp classes? My goal for 2010 is to start self-designing my own land workouts much as I do my aqua workouts, and I'm kind of a hog these days about gathering ideas for drills and workout session formatting!

A-Jock

Jennifit - would you mind describing your plyo/bootcamp classes? My goal for 2010 is to start self-designing my own land workouts much as I do my aqua workouts, and I'm kind of a hog these days about gathering ideas for drills and workout session formatting!

A-Jock

I can send you some of my workouts! Let me put my kids to bed and I will do it tonight or tomorrow am!! PM me to remind me!! I have tons of stuff for you :)))))

Well, I'm an intensity lover and it seems that high impact is my favorite way to get intensity. I sometimes do the stepmill, the stairmaster and spinning for intensity but these workouts are not "fun" for me they way Insanity or the Imax workouts are. I try to alternate high impact and low impact days (often doing strength workouts on low impact days) but lately I've just craved that high impact "high" and I've been doing something everyday.

After doing the Hiit workouts, I'm realizing how easy it would be to make my own workouts. Maybe some day I'll actually do it.

A-Jock

A-Jock,
Here is a sample workout:
Warm up
Following each 1 minute, with 30-40 sec. recovery:
Front, side, back kick
Wide Squat jumps
Power Jacks
Burpees
Knee smashes with hops
Push-up "Jacks" (legs in and out in push up position)
One-legged jumprope
High Knees
Sprinting in place

Then, I would do some stability ball work or a fast dumbbell workout followed by abs.
Or, I split my workouts up to make them more of a circuit: Do 2 of the high intensity moves followed by one weight exercise and core, repeat for as long as it takes ;0
Let me know if you want more!!!
jen

A-Jock,
Here is a sample workout:
Warm up
Following each 1 minute, with 30-40 sec. recovery:
Front, side, back kick
Wide Squat jumps
Power Jacks
Burpees
Knee smashes with hops
Push-up "Jacks" (legs in and out in push up position)
One-legged jumprope
High Knees
Sprinting in place

Then, I would do some stability ball work or a fast dumbbell workout followed by abs.
Or, I split my workouts up to make them more of a circuit: Do 2 of the high intensity moves followed by one weight exercise and core, repeat for as long as it takes ;0
Let me know if you want more!!!
jen

Hi, Jen, and thanks for that format! I'll add it to my little notebook of ideas. I have a new CD of rhythm-and-drums (stop me if I've told this one already), and formats like yours will come in handy!

IMPACT FOREVER!!!!!

A-Jock

A-Jock,

Let me know if you want more! I did a goodie today...still tired!!
I love your "impact forever" That can be a bumper sticker...although no one would get it except us!! hahahahah
Happy New Year!

I love "impact forever" too! You should put that on a T-shirt for your students when you start your land classes lol ;)

I had a pretty diesel snowboarding accident a few years ago and my left knee has never been the same. I've taught myself how to land where it's easy on the joints during HIIT, but still, I can only do this type of training a few times a week; after day 3, my knee starts to feel it. Otherwise, I would do HIIT everyday! My legs have become so defined and it's really the only type of exercise that shapes them well. Also, I feel extremely accomplished after a tough workout like this which motivates me to keep going!

I'm 52, and I still love high impact. Imax3 is my favorite workout! I watch out for twisting motions; those are the ones that cause me knee twinges.

I used to be able to handle impact. I still enjoy it. I have plantar fasciitis and it flares up if I overdo impact. I can handle plyo because it entails landing lightly but most other types of impact unless there are intervals of lo-impact, I can no longer handle. Running is my favorite form of cardio. I still run but have learnt to land lighter. I am 42.

You're not alone. I like high intensity (which is often high impact). I absolutely loved the HiiT 40/20 I did yesterday. I absolutely love Imax 3 and plyo legs. Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.