Any ex-smokers willing to share their success?

claridge

Cathlete
Did getting into fitness help anyone give up cigarettes, or was it patches, will- power - whats the secret? Is it like being an alchoholic......once a smoker-always a smoker, and one cigarette will start the habit again?
PLEASE! no lectures on the evils of smoking

I quit smoking, I was a smoker since my teens off and on and at the age of 19 I really got into smoking very heavy, I would work during the day and party and smoke the night away, Never had a desire to stop smoking even at the time when I met my hubby and was dating and he asked me to stop smoking, Then we got married and got pregnant and then I couldn't stand the smell of cigarette smoke and haven't smoked since, I do still get the desire to smoke, especially when I am stressed out, But I don't recemend that to stop smoking LOL.

Hi,

I am a non-smoker as of 6/30/03. I used the patch and have been smoke free since then. I was a smoker for almost 18 years. I am 31 now and am so so glad that I finally quit. I always exercised on and off since high school and never had any issues with the breathing until I hit 30. I was always an indoor exerciser(videos etc.) and decided I would try running. I thought I was in great shape being that I was an exerciser for so long. Well, I went outside ran about a half a mile and could not catch by breath. The following day I put the patch on and have been smoke free ever since. I definitely think that fitness was a big part in my quitting, but I have 2 kids and I want to be here for them. My life is so much better without the smokes. Good luck and I hope you succeed!!

Aila:)

I was a smoker from age 18 to age 35. I quit when I was 35 (I'm 55 now) because my husband had a lung problem which smoking bothered. I quit for him -- he did not quit -- interesting, huh?

Anyway, here is my secret. I watched non-smokers for weeks to discover what they did with their hands, how they acted after eating -- just studied their habits. Then when I decided to stop smoking, I assumed the beingness of a non-smoker -- not that I became other people, I was myself, but assumed that "non-smoker" beingness. I also always had water with me whenever I would get the urge to smoke. Drink lots of water if you quit -- believe it or not, it will help. Drink about 1-2 8 oz glasses when you get the urge and it will soon go away.

It's a very cheap way to quit smoking -- and completely drug free.

Hi claridge :)

As of November 6, I'll have been quit for 8 months. I smoked for years and years, quit for 3 1/2 years about 10 years ago, and like a fool started back up about 6 1/2 years ago! So this time...it's for good...no going back, ever. I feel sooo much better, especially with my workouts (though strangely enough it didn't seem to affect them that much...yet, at least). I used the Nicotrol inhaler (have to get a script for it through your doc) and it really helped me a lot (didn't use anything the first time I quit). My only problem right now is I've gained about 10 pounds...but it's starting to come off...I'd hate to think how much more I would have gained had I not been working out through all of this! Good luck to you if you decide to quit...the first 3 weeks or so were the hardest for me...it was all downhill from there. :)

I smoked 3 packs a day for nearly 20 years. I was bribed to quit. My dad bought me a '74 VW convertible. As we agreed, I quit cold turkey one week to the hour after it arrived in my driveway--in two pieces, on a car trailer. We worked together and used my cigarette money to restore it, which kept my hands busy and kept me focused on something other than smoking. It will always be a treasure to me, mostly because my dad loved me enough to do that for me. That was mostly what got me through the hardest times--knowing that I couldn't let him down after he went to all that trouble. Sunflower seeds helped, too, but then I had another bad habit to kick. Fortunately, that one was a little easier.

Best wishes for your success!

Shari

I'm very opinionated on this topic. I don't believe in patches, gum or will power. A wonderful doctor taught me that nicotine relieves depression (quite effectively) and smokers are self-medicating for depression.

Most smokers don't have the kind of depression that causes them to be dysfunctional, but rather a low-level depression called dysthemia. If you treat the dysthemia with anti-depressants or whatever medication your doctor may recommend, then the smoking will go away on its own without any heroic efforts.

Why this information is not more widely deseminated is the one thing I don't understand. It seems that smokers just don't want to hear it, but frankly I don't know why. Having this information allowed me to finally quit smoking 8 years ago and start to live a healthy, happy, smoke-free life. And, just as important, I finally realized that it wasn't my fault that I smoked! Finally leaving the guilt behind helped a lot too.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

I smoked for 22 years. I quit about 7-8 times over the last ten years or so. The last time was May 2004 & though I do cheat on occasion, I've been pretty much smoke free since then.

I used the patch, it was really helpful. Definitely cut down on cravings. But I think it's botha physical and psychological thing. You can get over the physical cravings w/the patch, but there are certain times of day (morning cup of coffee, leaving work, etc.) that you have to get over with sheer willpower. If you don't want to quit badly enough, no amount of patches or antidepressants will help.

Hi,i want to chime in here too with some tips that may be helpful,i have been a nonsmoker now for 1year and 7months,Yeah!! Anyways it was a tough decision,i mean for 20 years i had relied on cigarettes for the good times and bad,you know what i mean? and it was scary thinking how am i going to deal w/ stuff w/out them but i knew if i didnt stop they would kill me ,cancer is in my family big time,so i started thinking every time i lit up is this the one thats gonna turn that abnormal cell into cancer and it freaked me out so i quit cold turkey and now i feel better than i have in years,the little cough and weeze that i had convinced myself was just allergies,lol,is gone!!It is very much a mind thing,for example if you do quit and you keep telling yourself its too hard it will be too hard,instead say yeah i am gonna feel lousy for a bit but it is a good thing because that feeling is a side effect of poison leaving your body and it will leave ,that feeling does pass just hold on it is sooo worth it!!Remember the physical craving will pass in about 3-5 minutes so watch the clock and keep busy for 5 minutes and it will pass seriously 3-5 minutes you can do that !!And they come less and less so after awhile its only 3-5 minutes every month or so,and you can guess what time of the month that is,lol !I know this is long ,sorry ,i wish you much success, Mrsscififanec

Sorry me again i forgot something ,the day i quit i did alot of research on the net about it and found out that the bodies of smokers release sugar differently than those of nonsmokers so it will take a while for your body to adjust to being a non smoker and begin releasing sugar the way it was meant to so in order to compensate for it for 2-3 weeks ( cant remember exactly ) i drank a small glass of light juice every 3 hours or so and it made a big difference in how i felt ,i am not a Docter though so if you have sugar issues ,diabetes, ask a professional about an alternative,hope this helps ,it really helped me
Mrsscififanec

I used anything & everything...patch, gum, accupressure, meditation. You name it, I used it. Anti-depressants did not work for me, but they are certainly worth a try. Anything is, if it has any chance of working. Of course, you have to want it. But that's true of everything & I'm sure you already know that, being a Catheite! LOL

So here is what was my biggest help. Interval Max. I am NOT joking.

Good luck,
Ruth:)

Thanks everyone for you advice and suggestions. In this day and age, Im quiet embarrised to admit Im still a smoker, so your honesty is really appreciated. You have all given me great ideas on how to help myself beat this habit (and I will) so thank you again:)

I disagree with Maximus, and disagree with the whole concept of "willpower". Rational people make decisions based upon cost-benefit analysis. If smoking gives you a much needed mood elevation to get you through the next few hours, it will usually be more compelling than the fear of health risks. The benefits outweigh the costs. If you find an antidepressant that works for you and elevates your mood, the benefits of smoking will fade away and you'll be left with nothing but the costs. and you will obviously quit. Your whole motivation system will change radically.

I smoked for 23 years and couldn't quit. I'm a wimp when it comes to suffering, and willpower just meant failure to me. When I finally did quit, however, thanks to my doctor, it was easy and I didn't gain an ounce. Arm yourself with information, and screw willpower, I say. }(

Lots of luck!

-Nancy the Extremely Opinionated Nonsmoker

I quit smoking in 1987. I had been around cigarette smoking my entire life - parents, grandparents, etc. I took it up at an early age, sneaking around to do it most of the time. My girlfriend and I in high school used to buy a pack and split it. The pack would last us a week - but not for long! Soon we were buying our own packs! My dh HATES smoke and has allergetic asthma so I can't figure out for the life of me how he put up with my disgusting habit.

After my second child was born, I one day realized my smoking was beginning to control me. I was up to 3 packs a day and when I looked at that little helpless child in her stroller with tons of smoke around her head, I asked myself what I was doing to HER lungs let alone my own.

Very timely, one day a post card came in the mail to me from the local hospital - "STOP SMOKING CLINIC" - bring your cigarettes! We guarantee to have you stop smoking within a month. Well, I went - 2x or 3x a week (I forget now) but at each meeting, the leader would change our cigarette - 1) to something milder 2) to something she knew we would not like. We had to write down each cigarette we had, explaining why we were lighting up. Some people dropped out of the class but I stuck it out. By the end of the month, we were down to 1 cigarette a day and finally kissed our last ciggy goodbye. I did NOT gain weight. I told myself I would not use food as a substitute, and my will power paid off.

It was not easy. I equate my experience of quitting smoking to trying to lose weight or as someone else said here to alcohol. It is an addiction and it takes will power to stop. You have to want to do it for you - not for anyone else. And even after you stop, you still have those days where you want one -- but you have to fight it off by doing something else. That's really the test...after you stop...taking one day at a time and fighting off those urges.

These days, when I look back (I'm 49 now), I am so sorry I ever picked up the habit. I missed out on being able to exercise because I couldn't - I didn't have the wind for it. I will never be a non-smoker, I am an ex-smoker. But the smell now is something I totally cannot tolerate. I literally have to hold my breath if I smell cigarette smoke. I never look back though, I never have the desire anymore to even go near a cigarette. And it's not allowed in my home. Ever!

It's much more fun being winded because Cathe has you working so hard!

For those looking to quit, I say do it. You will never regret your decision.

Hi-

I am an ex smoker too. Have been for almost 5 years, after smoking about a pack a day.

What worked for me was the nicotine gum. It helped with the oral fixation thing for me anyways. It really quelled the cravings, but the only downside is I became addicted to the gum!

I agree w/ Nancy's info about nicotine helping w/ the low level depression. I found I just wasn't successful going cold turkey.. the gum helped me take that edge off.

By the way, if you end up going w/ a nicotine replacement type of program, I can give you some websites that sell the gum (or patches) for a lot better price than what you would get a drugstore. Let me know and I'll send you the links.

Good Luck.. Its a very hard thing to do, but you can do it!!! Keep trying and I wish you the very best!

Take care, Lynn M.

So what you're saying Nancy, is that rational people don't use willpower, they use antidepressants? Hmmmm. Interesting logic. I COMPLETELY disagree that you should turn to drugs to kick an addiction. You can't live your life using one crutch after another.

I tried to quit w/antidepressants, used in conjunction w/the patch. But I just didn't want it badly enough & went back to it w/in 4 weeks. That was about 2 years ago.

Then last year (May 2003, not 2004 as I'd mistakenly posted) I tried again w/the patch but w/o the antidepressants. This time I promised myself I'd be successful no matter what, & I was.

Arm yourself w/willpower, & screw drugs, I say. Why on earth would you want to replace one drug w/another anyway?

:)

I'll be smoke free a year this Thanksgiving. I know how hard it is to quit. I smoked on and off for almost 17 years. I'm 34 now. I'd been trying to quit forever and one day I just woke up and decided I didn't want to be sick and tired anymore. I had begun a new workout effort and said to myself that smoking didn't do anything for me. I quit cold turkey and haven't looked back. I have had cravings and I think about it now and again when something in my brains triggers a memory, like smoking in my car. But I stay strong and the smell grosses me out now and I just know I'd kick myself for trying it.

I will always have to make an effort to not smoke, but it gets easier and easier as time goes on.

You can do it.

Theresa

If you read over all these postings, you'll see that everyone is different. One thing may succeed for one person & do nothing for another. Also, some people can quit on their first attempt, but the vast majority have to try 3 to 4 times. Some people find it easier to "just do it" & quit cold turkey. Other people are frightened off by such a concept & may not try at all if they don't realize it's not the only way.

Try whatever makes you feel the most comfortable & if that doesn't work, try something else. Never give up! Sooner or later (hopefully sooner of course) you will succeed. If you want it.

When my doctor realized our antidepressants were apparently not enough (DH & me), he told us to use the gum and/or patch. I asked him about becoming addicted to the gum or patch. He laughed (nicely!) & said that the nicotine, while not particularly desirable, was not killing me. It was the tars & gases which were killing me. He said he would far rather I was addicted to the gum than smoking. He advised me to use it for as long as I needed to, and said eventually (& it could be up to a year or so) I would stop on my own. He was right, that is exactly what happened.

I can't tell you how much better my life is now...like everyone else, I wish more than anything that I had never started. But, can't change that.

As I mentioned before, exercise helped too, but it had to be HARD, high intensity makes you gasp for breath exercise. Which also helped keep the weight down!

Whatever you decide, you have my very best wishes for your success. If you need to talk, you are ALWAYS welcome to email me.

Take care,
Ruth:)

After several attempts using various methods, cold turkey, gum, a "swtich down" program where I kept changing cigarattes for lower nicotine, I tried acupuncture. This worked very well for me because I had NO withdrawal. I remember sitting in my office laughing for four days and my assistant could not believe how relaxed I was. Sometimes I think the acupuncture turned the withdrawal into a mild buzz! Whatever it did, I have been smoke free for seven years!

I totally disagree with your implication, Maximus, which is that all drugs are bad for you. Nature is imperfect, and some of us need improvements. Modern science has achieved amazing things that allow more and more people to lead a normal life and find happiness. I think it's wonderful.

I take synthroid every day for a sluggish thyroid and don't feel that it's a drug that I need to try to quit. It allows me to lead a normal life and I'm happy to take it for the rest of my life. There are some "drugs" that are good for you, and some that are bad. Smoking is so extremely harmful that almost anything that you replace it with will be better for you. That's "why on earth". Why on earth try to use willpower if you can improve your mood and your life instead? That's my "why on earth".

Having said that, I can certainly understand that different methods work for different people. I'm not saying that anyone who ever smoked had a mood disorder. I'm just saying that if anyone is STILL smoking today, after trying so hard for so long, there may be a good reason why they are still smoking that they have not considered, and there may be a simpler way of dealing with it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.