Any Cathlete out there who has tried Jillian Michaels

wrkoutqueen

I don't really care for her personality from the clips that I've seen, BUT does she give a decent workout?? I want to try it in the mornings before work! I've got to get back in shape and since her total body workout is 28 minutes, I think I can squeeze it in. I am just wondering if it's worth the investment OR can someone recommend segments I can used on the Cathe DVDs to accomplish the same thing in 30-40 minutes.

I did get a dvd of Jillians and it didnt move fast enough for me to get my heart rate up. Maybe another one of hers would. 28 minutes isnt a whole lot of time, especially if that includes warm up or cool down. What I'd like to try is Bob Harper's dvds. I have a feeling he'd hurt you a little bit :)

A great total body workout (if you referring to like a body sculpting )of Cathe's is Low Impact Circuit Total Body Sculpt - nice little workout! Good luck.

I have a number of Jillian Michaels DVD's and I must say - for me - they are good calorie burners but I never reach for them. I find her workouts stop and start too much and I cannot stomach her personality at all anymore. I never really could come to think of it. Bob Harper, on the other hand, now I do not like him either but I really like his workouts - a lot (not the biggest loser stuff). His latest - ultimate cardio body is outstanding - IMHO. If you can get past the lunges and swings at the start (which jack up my heart rate and keep it up for the duration of the workout) it eventually turns into a variety filled, tough workout that flies by. That said - for $9 or $10 - her workouts are cheap enough to try.

I have her dvd's which are pretty good and I do reach for once in a while but definitely worth to have in your collection especially for the price!
Like you I also have only have 30-35 min max to workout. Since the birth of my 3rd child 13 months ago I find that I really dont have the time anymore.
The Firm came out with these new workout series called the firm express that are 20 minutes each and are really great! If you put your all into these 20 min you will get great results. It's a mix of plyo and kickbox moves with 8 sec burst of all out plyo's. It's kind of like HIIT. It also comes with a dvd that has 2 10min sections one is abs and the other is cardio with hiit moves so I normally add one of the 10 min wo with the 20mins and there is my 30 min a day.
I know I will get back to my cathe workout's especially with this new series coming out.

I do Jillian's workouts OFTEN! I love them!

They are excellent short(er) workouts, but you can also do two of them back to back if you're interested in a longer workout.

My favorites are:

30 Day Shred
6 Week/6 pack abs
Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
No More Trouble Zones

In addition to their 25 to 30 minute length, they are so easily modified to being easier or harder. I just up my weights when I want to make them tougher. Also, it's pretty easy to go faster with the reps to make it harder.

She includes a lot of great body weight moves... planks and plank variations (plank jacks, T stands, mountain climbers for example), burpees, push ups, etc.

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism kicked my butt when I tried it for the first time the other day. It must be one of her longer workouts..I think the bulk of the workout is 40 minutes but there is also a warm-up and cool down. I took her advanced modifications where possible and burned 420 cals..which just slightly under my calorie burn with P90X's Plyo or the cardio of KPC. I think Collage Video calls this an aerobic/toning workout but the focus is definitely cardio...there are no weights, just some core exercises, and unless you're not used to the jumping movements, it shouldn't prevent you from doing weights the next day.

I really enjoy Jillian's short but sweet workouts! I just ordered her new Killer Buns and Thighs workout.

If you're on the fence about Jillian you could look into Kelly Coffey Meyers' 30 Minutes to Fitness Series...tons of options there and great workouts.

Or, if you want to stick with Cathe....her Timesaver DVD or her 4 Day Split DVD!

Her "Banish Fat Boost Metabolism" and "No More Trouble Zones" have circuits that are repeated twice. If you need to save time, you can cut the workout in half by doing each circuit only once.

I agree, JM workouts are great! I started doing her 30DS roatation (you do each level for 10 day's), after seeing a thread on myfitnesspal. I figured, it's only 30 days:D I can do this! I am on L2 D7, those short workouts get my HR up and I am sweating buckets after 24 min. Her ab dvd, is no joke either, lol! I only did L1 and it kicked my butt.

Thanks for the input!!!! I'm going to go for it and see how it can fit into my morning routine. I'll keep you posted!

The only two Jillian DVDs I have are "Banish Fat" and "Trouble Zones". Banish Fat is a good w/o. I use Trouble Zones only for a recovery week workout since she uses pretty light weights.

The only two Jillian DVDs I have are "Banish Fat" and "Trouble Zones". Banish Fat is a good w/o. I use Trouble Zones only for a recovery week workout since she uses pretty light weights.

Have you tried NMTZ with heavier weights? I love using it this way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.