Any Cathe beginners?

Checking in with Low Impact Circuit - Cardio Blast Timesaver premix and Stretch Max #2 (stability ball) completed for today. I love that premix!! It's so much fun.

Jennifer:
Great job with Pyramid Lower Body! You're doing great and you are keeping up with all of us!!

I did High Step Circuit this morning- I wish I had dug this out 6 weeks ago when I was still getting over the beginner hump - it is very adaptable to a beginner, yet was still a good workout- though I used weights and not the tubing- I don't care for the tubing. I went a little heavier with the weights- 5lbs and got a very good workout. It also has a great stability ball ab workout attached.

I got High Step Circuit along with High step challenge, & high step training when I bought my high step. I never tried "Challenge" it is still in the plastic- they are like Cathe meets Firm in some ways.

Jen- glad you liked pyramid lower body- the pyramids are pretty accessible when you are starting out, try using 3, 5, & 8's to start- or nothing, 3, 5 and work your way up. I am excited for the new workouts you got.

Nancy- I never did the premixes with low impact circuit, gotta try those one of these days.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Bridget

I'm a beginner twice removed?

I'm following Cathe's beginner rotation (have done her workouts before - 4 Day Split) but after a few months off, lousy cardio endurance and regained weight, it seems best to start at the beginning this time.

Any other beginners out there who want to check in regularly for motivation?

Okay ladies count me in. I'm so glad this thread was started!!! I'm what you call the beginner twice removed (meaning I fall off the wagon twice or so). :mad: The first time I did cathe's workouts I lost 45pds and wearing sizes 6/8 and 140pds. I broke my ankle. My DH GOD bless him:D. Had to cook for me. Cooking fatty foods for me and the weight just kept coming and coming. Not his fault!!! Then I finally was able to cook for myself and 190+ later. I bought STS and I'm going to do this program.

I'm starting 06/06/10.....

sun 06/06= stretch max#2,
mon 06/07= cardio (basic step/from <b.s> abs 10mins.),
tue 06/08= disc#1
wed 06/09= cardio (basic step/<b.s> abs 10mins.)
thur 06/10= disc#2
fri 06/11= stretch max#2
sat 06/12= disc#3

and for 6 1/2 months:cool: The cardio will be beginnier: basic step, body fusion <cardio only>, low impact, my spinning bike. By month 2: should be step max, step heat, step jam and cardio blast. by month 3: I hope to be stronger to do the other cardio workouts.
my off days: I will be doing Stretch max. Month 1: max#2, Month 2: max#1 and Month 3: max #3.

So here is my program:D what do you think???

Last edited:
Good morning everyone!! I missed you guys!:D

I started my new rotation yesterday morning with the step only premix from Step Jump & Pump and then 3 of the step combos from C & W. I was a very sweaty girl!;) Felt great, though.

This morning, it was Muscle Max, in it's entirety. I must be honest though and say I was in awe of Cathe and her crew during that ab section. I just kept doing some crunches while they were doing jack-knives. Maybe someday...just not right now, for me. ;) But something is better than nothing, right?

Nancy-I should have read your posts a couple of days ago about the rest week. I just finished 5 weeks of working out with 1-2 days of rest per week. I probably should have taken a rest week before starting this rotation. I just might take one after I complete this week. I think it's great that you are feeling so much better after getting some true rest for your body!

Elle-I also attend WW meetings, but I do have the e-tools that allows me to look for recipes and use the recipe builder and the tracker on line. I really am a big fan of WW. I know it works and I know anything can be worked into the program. I hope you are feeling better and that everything went okay for you at the dentist.

Jennifer-Nice job with PLB! I haven't done that one in a VERY long time, but it's coming up for me in the next week of my rotation. Honestly, I'm a little bit nervous!! But I'll modify and do what I can. That's all I can do!

Bridget-
Congrats on tackling the 20lb BB after your rest days. I've had a couple of tough days getting out of bed lately, too. Maybe I should be paying more attention to my body. I agree about the pikes on the ball and many other ab exercises that Cathe does. I'm just going to keep doing what I can. Ignoring my abs certainly won't help them.:eek:

Sheryl-
WELCOME!!! This is a very supportive group and we are happy to have you. Your rotation looks good and it looks like you have a great plan mapped out for yourself. I wish you lots of success!!

Well, I'd better go get my day rolling. I hope everyone has a fabulous Sunday! See you all later.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Mine has been OK - except for the fact that someone was supposed to come yesterday to fix my sprinkler system and they never showed up!! I hate that! And they don't even return calls - you just get voice mail. Argh! Sometimes I wonder what happened to good service. But I can still use it - it's just more annoying but better than nothing. Hopefully I can get someone else to come look at it and have them show up. :)

I have Muscle Max scheduled for today so I'll check in later when it's finished. I'm looking forward to trying this one again.

Bridget:
Great job with High Step Circuit! I have tried it once and it was a good workout. I also wasn't a fan of the tubing either. I got the same DVDs with my high step too but have yet to tackle the other two. Maybe I'll add one in next month's rotation. And yes, you must try the cardio premix for Low Impact Circuit - especially if you really like the step combos!

Sheryl:
Welcome!! We are so glad to have you join us. Wow on starting the 61/2 month STS program! I have it too but I'm holding off on starting it for a few months. I want to get back into a routine and more comfortable with things before attempting it. I can't wait to hear about your progress with it!

Your rotation looks awesome!

Pam:
Great job with Step Jump & Pump premix and C&W step combos yesterday and Muscle Max this morning! Cathe's ab work is tough - I'm in awe all the time too and hope that one day I will be able to do a lot of those moves too. I agree - I do the same thing - I just modify and do what I can because it is all good and will help.

Nancy-Good luck with Muscle Max today! Funny that we both had the same workout out on tap. Just take a look at those jack knifes when she does them! They make 'em look so easy.:confused:

As a side note, I just noticed that some of the older workouts on DVD have been marked down. I've been hoping to update my collection and CTX is marked down considerably. I think I just may be doing some shopping very soon.

See you later!

Checking in with Muscle Max and Stretch Max #3 (band) completed. Muscle Max was definitely better this time around - I guess the lack of rest was really affecting me last time. It was tough (especially those lunges...hate lunges!) but I got through it and recorded my weights and where I can make adjustments (both up and down) next time. Tomorrow is my rest day. I think I will need it. :) I think the 3 days on and 1 day off is going to work really well.

Pam:
It is funny we are both doing the same workout today! They do make the jack knifes look easy - I find it hard to even position myself for them. LOL Thanks for the info on the marked-down DVDs...might have to check them out...or maybe not...might want to save $$. :)

Rest day today, but have a crazy week ahead. I will be leaving for Phoenix on Friday for a conference, and don't know how or when I will be able to get in a workout next week. Here is my upcoming week:
Monday-Step Blast
Tuesday- Supersets
Wednesday-IMAX2
Thursday- Buts & Guts
Friday-High Step Training
Definitely more intense than I've done before.

Sheryl- hello and welcome! We're happy to support you over that beginner hump. I feel like I finally made it over the hump within the past 2-3 weeks and I am so thankful! Although, I wouldn't be brave enough to start STS- it looks intriguing, and I look forward to hearing your report!

Nancy & Pam- maybe I'll download Muscle Max-you both make it sound worthwhile

Hi Ladies,
I haven't visited the forums over the last few days and nothing much has been going on either! I did not work out at all Wed-Fri.:eek: I got in a yoga practice on Saturday at 9:30pm. It was one of the best practices i have had lately. I was really able to push hard and felt so light and relaxed afterwards. Maybe it was because i had three rest days in a row?

I didn't do anything yesterday either.:eek:

Today i will be doing LoMax.

Sheryl: Welcome to the group! I have found checking in has really helped keep me motivated and inspired. Our group is really supportive and encouraging.

Bridget: The new rotation looks good! Let us know how you like it.

Phoenix: I wanted to take advantage of the Muscle Max deal but i forgot about it. It sounds like a good one to add to my collection. I hope your new plan to include regular rest days works for you and allows you some recovery time.

Pam: Good job with MuscleMax. I'm going to have to take a look at those discounted DVD's.;)

Hi Jennifer! Hope you had a great weekend.

Have a great day everyone!

Today is a rest day for me - the first of the '3 days on, 1 day off' schedule I decided to try to follow. I think I'm going to like it too - it seems to just work out better. I was pretty sore in a few spots from Muscle Max yesterday. Although, I could have used a kickboxing workout to help blow off some work steam. :)

Bridget:
That rotation looks intense! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Elle:
I have found lately that taking the rest days definitely helps with workout performance. I was struggling to get through some workouts when I wasn't taking rest days and it seemed like I wasn't getting better. When I took the rest days, I was able to do much better the next time. The first time I completed Low Max was after taking a rest day when the last time I attempted it, I couldn't do as much as before.

Did step blast this morning, the step portion and once all the way through before a blast. I was out of gas at that point. Taking a lesson from (Nancy I think) I added a stretch workout to the end, and that felt very good. Will check in tomorrow

Hi All! Just checking in briefly to read up on everything I have missed the past couple of days. This past weekend was extremely busy so I didn't get any workouts in, but I did walk for 45 minutes with my mother on Sunday and I was able to do my lunch walk today--although I think I need to take it up a notch because the 2 miles today seemed fairly easy and I wasn't dying the way I use to once I was done. Although, it could be the humidity was really low and only a high of 77.

It looks like everyone is doing great on their workouts. Once again, I got home late from work so my evening workout routine takes a back seat again. You all who are able to exercise in the morning, what time do you get up to workout? Do you think it is easier to get the workout done in the morning as opposed to the evenings? My biggest problem is I don't go to bed until about midnight or later and getting up at 5 am and doing an hour workout with Cathe seems undoable to me, at least if I want to have any type of social disposition once I get to work . . . :eek:

Tomorrow I should be able to get off work on time so I have planned to do Low Impact Circuit and see if I can manage to do all three of the circuits this time.

Bridget: Glad to hear you like High Step Circuit—I bought it, but haven’t received it yet. Since you liked it so much I am anxious to try it once it arrives.

Pam: I looking at CTX, and you’re right, for $30.00 off, that is a pretty good deal, I may have to check that one out. That is one reason I enjoy reading everyone’s posts, I like to see what videos everyone has and then see if I can locate them and add them to my collection.

Sheryl, welcome to the group! You couldn't ask for a better bunch of friends to check in with. If it is motivation you are looking for, this is the place to come. Everyone here has been fantastic -- giving me encouragement when I'm feeling less than accomplished and praising me when I have managed to succeed!

Hello everyone! I'm very late with my check in today! As a matter of fact, it's after 11 and once I finish here...I'm off to bed. ;)

This morning it was Step Blast for me! I did the whole thing, including the challenge, but I pooped out on the very last blast. Still, I'm very happy and proud of myself. I feel like I'm starting to see signs of progress.

Tomorrow Leaner Legs is on the schedule. But my oldest son is also graduating from Preschool in the morning, so it's going to be pretty busy around here in the morning. If I have to push the w/o off until Wednesday, so be it. I haven't had a rest day since Friday, so I'm okay with it if I have to wait. But, we shall see.

Elle-Hope you enjoyed LowMax tonight. And you probably were feeling so great because of those rest days! Keep it up.

Nancy-Seems like everyone is listening to your advice on the rest days. I think I need to, as well. Hope you have a great Tuesday.

Bridget-We both did Step Blast today! Good for you on getting as far as you did! That's fabulous. It's a tough workout, but now that I've done it a number of times, it's definitely getting easier for me. The only part I'm really not crazy about is the slam-its. :rolleyes: Keep up the good work!

Jennifer
-Wasn't the weather amazing today! It's so funny to go from such oppressive humidity to this beautiful coolness. Maybe the whole summer will be like that! (Yeah, right!:p) About the morning workouts, I'm a stay at home mom, so my boys wake me up around 6 in the morning. I get up with them and get moving, so I'm usually done with my workout before 8. I used to get up at 5am when I worked outside the home, too. I just like getting it out of the way, know what I mean? But as long as it gets done, that's all that matters. I'm definitely going to get CTX this week. I missed it when it was 30% off a while back and this price is even better. CTX is one of my favorite sets, so I'm looking forward to having it on DVD.

Last night i got home later than usual and i really just wanted to go to bed. I also did not want another day with no workouts so i made a deal with myself that i would just do 30 minutes which was not as daunting as the whole 70 minutes of LoMax. So, i did 30 minutes of LoMax and went to bed. I felt better than i would have if i had skipped it all together.

I really need to change my way of thinking and try and do that more often. Usually, if i can't do the whole thing i just don't do anything at all and that can have a snowball effect.

I also signed up for weight watchers yesterday but i didn't stay for the meeting. There is one at lunch time today so i will try and go since it's across the street from my office.

Jennifer: I have tried the morning thing and it just doesn't work for me. I'm not a morning person and if i do manage to get up i really don't have the energy for Cathe. I get in a much better workout in the evening, right when i get home. If you really want to try a morning workout, just do it tomorrow and see if it works for you. I used to sleep in my workout clothes and have everything ready to go. In the end you need to find something that works with your schedule that you can maintain longterm. Good luck!

Pam & Bridget: Great job with Step Blast! The weight watchers books are different from the last time i did it and the way you calculate your daily points is different but the program is pretty much what i remember. I really hope i can stick with this! I'm going to focus on my 5% target since a short term goal is less daunting for me.:p

Hi Phoenix, Kelly, and Sheryl!:)

Have a great day!

Hi all, just checking in from work. My walking buddy had to attend a class today so I took my I-pod and walked by myself. Actually, it was kind of nice to listen to some music and not have to talk. Glad I went, it is suppose to rain later on tonight and all day tomorrow! :(

Elle: Good for you for being able to come to a compromise and get a 30 minute workout out of a 70 minute one! I have times when I will be so tired after work I will at least try to do at least 20 minutes just so I don’t beat myself up all night with guilt for missing a workout. I think that is why I have such an incentive to keep up with my daily lunch walks—so in the event I work late or if something comes up when I get home, I have at least done something on my exercise agenda and won’t let the guilt get to me.

I am right there with you in spirit when you say you need to change your way of thinking. Right now, I am in awe of everyone here who is doing these 60 and 70 minute workouts and tough ones at that—I’m still struggling with trying to complete a 45 minute workout and I have to stop several times during it!

Good for you with joining WW—let me know how it goes!

Walkingchick: Great job on Step Blast—you have reason to be proud of yourself! It’s always nice to be able to see progress! And, congratulations on your son graduating from preschool – seems like time flies by so fast and before you know it, you will be attending his high school graduation!

I agree with you, as far as I am concerned, the entire summer could be like yesterday—warm, but not too hot and definitely NO HUMIDITY!!! :eek: I think I will try getting up in the morning one day this week and see if I can handle getting my workout done. I’m with you, I like to get things done and out of the way, but the older I get the tougher it seems to be to keep that mentality, at least when it comes to doing my workouts. Maybe I just need to get into the habit of getting up earlier than normal and doing it – they say it takes 21 days to form a habit. . .

I was looking at CTX on Cathe’s site – I like the fact that they show segments of each portion of the video and you don’t get just a 30 second blip. Aren’t there like 8 different routines on 2 dvd’s? That would be awesome and should last me for a while. I may be joining you and buying it while it is still on sale.

Well, guess I better get back to work. I will try to check in later tonight once I get my workout out of the way.

Checking in with Low Max and Stretch Max #1 completed. I fought for Low Max but I finished it again - the whole thing! It's still hard but I'm determined to keep finishing. Especially today - I needed to prove to myself that I could do it and I did. I think having the rest day helps a lot too.

Bridget:
Great job with Step Blast!

Jennifer:
The nice thing about workouts in the morning is that you get out of the way. But I'm not a morning person and I already get up early to go to work so it's not feasible for me. Plus I need to have eaten an hour or more before doing a workout so during the week, it just won't happen. So I do the evening workouts but I have to be disciplined about them because it's easy to skip them after a rough day at work.

Pam:
Great job with Step Blast too! Congratulations on your son graduating from preschool - hope you both have a good time tomorrow.

Elle:
You did great! Sometimes we do get caught up in that 'all or nothing' thinking but it doesn't have to be the entire thing. 30 minutes of Low Max is still a great workout!! And I agree - a little bit is better than nothing at all and if it works, do it!

Checking in with SuperSets this morning- I feel pleasantly achy afterward! It's all good! I was happy I could do most of the power lunges and when it came time to do the core bicycle maneuvers they weren't horrible. Things that were once horrible are only a little bit now- this is very encouraging to me!!

Pam- Awsome on finishing Step Blast! Next time maybe I'll have the full tank of gas and be able to get through the blasts! I have heard Leaner Legs referred to as Meaner Legs. Let us know how that goes! Will your son be starting Kindergarten in the fall?

Nancy- I like LowMax too- I have IMAX2 scheduled, maybe I'll compromise and go for LowMax- I remember being able to finish it before, and I really want to be able to finish my workout!

Jen- I work out in the morning because that is the only time of day I am able to accomplish it. Like Nancy said, it is done and out of the way, the trick is to go to bed early- I turn in and do some computer work at 8 with the goal of having lights out at 9. But that's what works for me. What is cool is that eventually I wake up at 5 before the alarm goes off, and I start looking forward to it!

Elle- congrats on joining WW. I just rejoined my at work program after 8 months away and just doing it online. I find I benefit from the group, I get lots of great ideas and it helps keep me accountable-like this group too!

Gotta get to bed, have an early morning!:rolleyes:

Yesterday i did Muscle Endurance. I still find all those leg presses challenging enough without weights so i'll keep doing them that way until i get through them easily.

I managed to take a lunch break and go to the WW meeting. I'm glad i did because like this group, it helps to motivate me. My first day on the plan went well and i'm already aware that i was definitely eating more than i need to. Although i find writing down everything a bit of a chore right now, it really is effective which is why i decided to follow the program.

Jennifer: It's great that you have a walking buddy but good that you can also do it alone. Don't worry about your fitness level. I'm using very light weights right now and i find that challenging enough. You will work up to being able to do longer workouts, just keep doing it and don't give up or get discouraged.

Phoenix: Great job with LoMax! Nice to see you are still getting in the StretchMax. I sometimes find the stretch in the workouts is not very thorough, especially after tough workouts like Cathe's.

Bridget: I'm glad to hear you are seeing improvements. All your hard work is paying off!

Hi Pam & Kelly!

Have a great day everyone!

Hi guys!! I took a rest day this morning because I really felt like I needed it. Yesterday, I did Leaner Legs and I'm happy to find that I'm not in absolute pain this morning. I feel it in my legs, but at least I can still move them!:p

My family and I are going away for a couple of days and will be back home on Friday. I won't be able to w/o with Cathe, but I will be doing plenty of walking. We are taking the boys to an amusement park, so I should be on my feet for the better part of the day. I plan on getting back in the groove with my rotation on Saturday morning!

Elle-Nice job with Muscle Endurance. I don't use any weights with those leg presses either. My body weight is good for now and I'm really concentrating on my form. I do look forward to when I can start incorporating weights, though. It'll be a sure sign of progress. Good luck with WW! I know that journaling everything you eat can be a bit of a pain, but I know it really makes a difference for me. Hang in there!! You're going to have a great week.

Bridget-Yep...my little man goes to kindergarten in September. I'm not quite sure how I got here, you know?? When did he get so big. He's so ready, though! Leaner Legs is a toughie, but I really do enjoy that one. Sounds like you had a great workout with Super Sets!! Congratulations!!

Nancy-Thanks for the kind words! My son had his preschool grad yesterday and it was really nice. Especially the photo montage at the end...SNIFF!!!
Low Max was on tap for this morning, but after 4 straight days of w/o's and Leaner Legs yesterday...I needed a break. I'll be reaching for that one on Saturday, though. I am really hoping to make it all the way through!!

Jennifer
-I used to walk all the time with my iPod! I loved the time alone with me. It's nice to walk with a friend sometimes, but I still prefer that time for myself. I don't walk as much as I would like anymore, because my feet have been giving me some problems. I know taking some weight off will help, and I'm working on that now. I ordered CTX and it should be here when I get back. I've wanted to update that collection for so long, so I am pretty psyched.

Well...I'd better get moving!! Have a great couple of days. Talk to you all over the weekend!! Keep sweating.;)

Hello all
I did IMAX2 this morning- wow is all I can say. I was frightened & intimidated especially during the 5th interval when she warned us viewers that the intensity was going to be increased, I just modified my way through. I may not have looked like Cathe & Co, but my heart rate was up and I was sweating bullets so I must have been doing something right! I like the interval workouts for clock watching, believe me I count how many are left, and tell my self if only I can get to the next one, then the next one...I think it helped me finish this one.

Elle- I have my first WW meeting tomorrow of this new session, and am looking forward to it being as productive as yours!

Pam- my daughter's last day of second grade is on Friday- and I will be out of town before she comes home :(. They grow up so fast.. enjoy your rest day.

Jen- let us know about your new workouts!

Nancy- have a great day

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.