Anxiety

jaypea

Cathlete
Hi All! Since I have the summer off from teaching, I always try to get all my doctor's visits in. I have been experiencing mild anxiety all my life (separation anxiety when I was young and again when I went to college in the form of homesickness-eventually went away, then sometimes I get social anxiety when I am around people I don't know well, and then there is the worrying that I do alot). I grew up in a house where my dad worried all the time, but then would get in a bad mood about it and yell and say hurtful things to us. My mom was very submissive. I see some of my dad's behavior in me, and my husband of two years has said numerous times, "I can't get close to you when you worry like that." So, I mustered up enough courage to make an appt. with a psychiatrist-it is in late July. I, being me, am kind of nervous to go. I don't want her to put me on meds and be done-and am reconsidering the appointment.
I know I have seen posts before about anxiety, so if any of you have any experiences with seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist, please share them with me.
Thanks!!!

Hi jaypea, First let me say that you don't have to take any medication you don't want to. IF you discover this doc is pushing meds and will not listen to you when you object, find a different doc. I have talked with psychiatrists from time to time. I urge you to keep the appt. Sometimes you need a non-critical and impartial person to listen. I'm sure others can give you better info on types of therapy etc. It seems to me that when there is something stressing your life, you will revert to behavior that you learned when you were very young. Sometimes a therapist can help you identify and evaluate the source of stress so you can reduce it. Once you reduce the stress the behaviour may subside. This may or may not apply to you. BTW I am a great worrier and I too have a problem with anxiety in social situations. I am slow to warm and consider myself somewhat of a social retard. -joy

Thanks for your reply-it was helpful. Is there anyone else who can share their experiences? I would greatly appreciate it!

:)I have a strong family history of anxiety, mother, father, sister, brother myself and 2 out of my 3 children have anxiety. I didn't realize how severe it was until I experienced a panic attack. Right out of the blue I got so scared and started to shake talking with someone for no reason. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I was diagnosed with social anxiety as the cause of the panic attacks. I take Zoloft which calms me down considerably. Also, if I do not take my meds, my muscles tense up until they hurt. I have never been to a psychologist, psychiatrist. Good Luck! :D

I see a wonderful psychiatrist who offers me the option of counseling each and every time I see him. We do talk briefly, but he and I both agree that I do incredibly well, as long as I stay on my meds. In my case, we both feel it is simply a chemical imbalance.

My advice is to find someone like my doctor, who will discuss options with you and allow you to become a partner in your own treatment. You don't have to settle for anything less. You choose your doctor; your doctor doesn't choose you. A doctor like that can help you to vastly improve the quality of your life. In many ways, the type of anxiety you're experiencing is a form of self-torture, and it is so limiting. It doesn't allow you to be the person you might be otherwise. But you don't have to simply accept it. Please keep your appointment, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Shari

Wow, what timing - I'm going through this myself at the moment, I have always been a worrier and have had insomnia because of it but its gotten OUT OF CONTROL this year, with a first time home purchase alone, big promotion at work and along with that came a lot more pressure at work and things that are out of my control which obviously I can't handle well. I'll worry myself to almost an obsession about really really lame things. I was visiting my sister about a month ago, and I was having a major anxiety attack about leaving my cats home - with a very reliable friend checking in on them (see what I mean? LAME) That was what made me decide to go to the doctor and do something about it, because I thought oh my god, I am driven to distraction because I've left my cats in good hands for the weekend! What if I had kids? So anyway, I went about 3 weeks ago to my GP and the she gave me Zoloft, it takes a long time to work and my anxiety has spiked on two occasions since then but then it seems to steady a bit. I'm still getting used to the medicine so I'm not feeling 100% yet. This week she gave me a physical so we could see if there was any other medical reason why I have been feeling like this, I get the results on monday.

Now I have only done the medical route so far, because I KNEW I needed medication to get me to a state where I could even rationally look at my thought patterns and behaviors, but I do plan to go to a counselor and find out WHY I'm reacting like this to things that really are not such a big deal.

Anyway I can totally relate, its AWFUL but there is help out there, and lots of different kinds of help. You just have to find the one that will work for you. Also don't give up if the first psychiatrist doesn't click with you, it may take a while to find someone who is a good fit for you (I learned that as a psych student in college). Good luck!

Jill

I started having problems with anxiety about 15 years ago. It was VERY scary because out of the blue I had a major panic attack. To make a long story short I now have a solution that works for me. Working out intensely relieves almost all my stress. I get plenty of sleep and try to stay away from alcohol and caffeine. Don't get me wrong, I still drink the aforementioned items, but I stay away from them when I will be facing an extra stressful day or situation. Oh course it does not hurt that I married the most layed-back, supportive, and loving man ever put on this earth!! I feel for anybody suffering with anxiety, so I hope you figure out an answer for yourself. Good luck!

Hi, Jaypea! Although I've never had any problems with recurring anxiety, I have had my share of "life problems", and in the early '90's benefited enormously from some ongoing sessions with a cognitive / behavioral psychotherapist, who helped me to unearth some long-denied, moldy garbage from my formative years and from my drinking years (I'm a sober alcoholic and former bulimic).

Although I am the first to acknowledge that medications can have a very valuable place in some persons' treatments, I would like to applaud your own caution about being sent down that road by a psychiatrist. Far too often, IMHO, "psy-" professionals are apt to encourage or prescribe chemicals for problems that are environmental rather than biochemical in nature. And we're seeing a lot of very disturbing press these days about the hidden addictive or quasi-addictive nature of certain very popular anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications, Paxil in particular. It's a case of "admission's free, you pay to get out" when trying to wean yourself from medications of this kind.

Just my $.02. Please let us know how you get on.

A-jock

Thanks for all of your helpful replies! It is nice to know I am not alone. I may cancel my appt. with the pscychiatrist because I finally got in with a good primary care phys. close to where I live. On my initial visit, I will mention that I have experienced mild anxiety and ask him for a recommendation of what to do (who to see). That way he can be involved as well.

I may not post a lot, but I religiously check this site every day or my day is not complete! I love you guys (girls)!:D

IMO, if you ask a doctor what to do, they will offer medicine. That's what doctors do. If you ask a pastor, you will probably get offered something different.

Ask Amazon dot com and they will suggest books.

So you decide ahead of time by choosing whom to ask. I wish I could be of more help, but I consider myself anxiety-free. DH and I do work hard every day protecting ourselves from stress of the outside world. We have made our home like a sanctuary. Telemarketers rarely call and people rarely stop by, and they always call first. We hardly ever deal with anything "right away." It's surprising how many problems take care of themselves with this attitude. So anyway maybe my lack of anxiety comes from this.

My DH tells me I panic too much (!) but I have never been more calm in my life! We are also Christians, so I feel secure that even if everything crashes around us, I'm still safe.

Reading anything by Helen Forrester (thanks, Anna [Bernard]) also calms me down and makes me so thankful for my life as it is. I don't know if this helps but I hope it does. ((( )))

You might also consider trying meditation and/or yoga as non-drug alternatives to ease anxiety and stress. I have found both to be very helpful. You have the choice of trying either in a supervised group setting or in private at home. "Stress Relief Yoga for Beginners" is one I'd recommend.

On the other hand, I did see a therapist recommended by my minister a few years back when I was going through a rough time. She was not qualified to prescribe medication, but could have referred me to someone if she felt it was necessary. I found our sessions to be invaluable. If you continue to struggle after trying several self-help measures, it might be a good idea to see someone.

Angela

I, too, have dealt with a lot of depression, anxiety, dysfunctional thinking, and medication NEVER worked for me--often it made me sick. I've been to many different kinds of therapists over the past 2 decades +, and found most ineffective, a couple abusive, and one who transformed my life wonderfully. By age 24 (& I was working out seriously as a bodybuilder then, mid 80's), I was on medical leave for "chronic fatigue" and depression/anxiety, my condition worsening--and I got into 12 step groups/recovery.

I come from a dysfunctional family and this is the way I found to unlearn the destructive thinking of my family, and learn life-building thinking. W/i a month of going to 12 step groups (which are free, and anonymous)I had physically and emotionally recovered and was back at work and working out. It was emotional/spiritual attention I needed--not medicine, not a doctor's care.

As my life unfolded, more depression/anxiety came up, but I was learning tools and had a safe and effective place to go to (12 step groups)to walk thru the scary places in life. The 12 Step program is spiritual, not religious, and you choose how you define that. I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination, yet by opening myself to the idea that there's something bigger and better in me, working for me, and handling my "stuff" for me has made all the difference in the world.

It's when I forget that that I find myself getting stressed out; when I realize I'm stressed, anxious, etc., I know I'm operating under the delusion that I'm all alone and I'm all I got to depend on--and I'm not enough. No matter how hard I try or how intelligent I am, I can't figure out many things in life. There are always things to worry about and be stressed out about if that's the attitude I'm buying into. If it's not one thing, it'll be another. I have to change my attitude, and I couldn't figure out how to do that alone. You're not alone--we human beings are not meant to be alone, to figure things out by ourselves. We need each other--and that's a good thing!

There is something greater in you that is absolutely Whole and Wise and knows how to heal itself. That doesn't mean you are an island onto yourself--your body and mind innately know how to be whole, and reaching out to others who support you in that process nurtures that return to equilibrium. Just because medication didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you. If you see a therapist and it doesn’t work for you, that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you—find other avenues: other therapists, support groups such as 12 step groups, meditation groups/classes, art therapy (transforming!), journaling (I’m so grateful to the best “therapist” I ever had—my journal), a spiritual center that speaks to your heart. Local hospitals might have support groups for people with stress or anxiety disorders, and they and community colleges and rec centers often offer classes on dealing with stress/worry. Check out your community—you are not the only one experiencing this, there are probably several different groups/classes offered that will pull you out of your alienation and put you into recovery.

There is a way out. You are meant to be whole, peaceful, and living a beautiful life. Reach out to others—you’ll help them as much as they help you. I affirm the wholeness in you.

jaypea-

Don't cancel your appointment! Why shouldn't you go to someone who might be able to help you? If you don't like her suggestions, you don't have to go back. Primary care physicians are not trained to deal with your problems, and they are notorious for down-playing psychological issues because of their training. See the psychiatrist and tell her your thoughts, feelings and fears about medication. She will be far better able to help you than your primary care physician. Please don't cancel. There is simply no reason to. The worst that can happen is you can waste 45 minutes of your time, and try someone else. Sometimes it takes several tries before you find someone you can work with. So give it a try!

Whoever wrote this post, I applaud these sentiments and thank you for posting it, it has helped me to think a few things through too. This is a very meaningful message.

I agree with Nancy, don't cancel your appointment. Give it a whirl and try a few sessions to see if this is something that makes you feel better and more able to cope.

Check out last month's issue of Health magazine, they had a very useful expose of how to choose an analyst, what to expect, what to ask, what to be wary of, how to evaluate the process to see if it is working for you, etc. I found it to be very useful and anxiety-removing information. CHeck and see if your library has it if the stores are out, althouh my stores still have it on display, so I hope yours does too.

Medication may or may not work for you, you will have to trust your gut instinct on this one. I would never tell anyone not to take it just because. Until you have experienced chronic anxiety and/or depression, you do not have any ground upon which to base an argument telling someone else not to take antidepressants. You have not stepped in their shoes, you do not know their demons and their abilities, or lack of, to cope. You do not know how terribly painful their current existence is. Sometimes we need a crutch to help us get through, anti depressants can be one of those crutches and they work for millions of people, some of whom have posted here on this thread.

Every single person is different in what solutions and therapies will work for them. It is your responsibility to talk to health professionals, that includes PCP and a psychiatrist, so that they can evaluate what your needs are right now. You do not have to put your future in their hands, but you can be guided by their reccomendations, and discuss this with significant people in your life whom you trust, and follow your instincts. By all means try support groups, spirituality-based therapies, a local pastor, a friendly mother figure near you.

Personally, I would like to be able to take antidepressants because I feel the need for a crutch of some kind, but I have tried 5 different types and my PCP and I have now concluded that my body chemistry is too sensitive to the SSRI's and they all make me ill and non-functional. There are others i can try of older families of medicines, but I have a gut instinct right now telling me not to go this road. So antidepressants do work, but not for everybody. So I am having to develop a crutch of my own through reaching out to other people, distributed at different positions in my social life and personal life, to ask for help an support. So far, the support has been very forthcoming. All I had to do was reach out and ask, why was I afraid to do this?

My only reccomendation to you is to take courage and put out feelers in many different directions. Seek help from differnet avenues to find what will make you a calmer person and more able to cope with life's curve balls.

I think, however, that self-knowledge is a key aspect to getting on the road to wellness. I have discussed this with Nancy on occasions, she posted here, and I think it helps both of us. Here is where a therapist can be of use to you. They are not there to lie you on a couch and ask you repeatedly "and how did that make you feel?!?!?!?!?!?!", but they can be objective listeners to whatever you feel the need to talk about. They will hear your stories differently from how you hear them, and they may be able to point out truths to you that were staring you in the face but you couldn't see the wood for the trees and the worrying. I did have this experience with a therapist I saw for a few weeks. That did help. Sometimes we just need someone to show us what is blindingly obvious. And sometimes we also need a third party to just listen, and therby validate our fears. They will make you feel normal, that it's OK to feel all these emotions, that you can heal, can be functional, can foresee a future not overburdened with anxiety.

WHen you are with a therapist, do not let yourself be intimidated by the experience itself. Go in there and be totally you, just as if it were you and the girls getting ready to chat on a Monday night over a few beers. Be truthful, it helps no-one if you withhold stuff. And if something they say or do bothers you, say so. I do, and it helps get things straight between us. Remember, you are not surrendering power over your destiny to anyone, just seeking tentatively to see who might be able to help you.

ANd please, come back and tell us how you get on and what you are feeling about your different therapy trials. We'd love to hear from you. Best of luck,

Clare

Wow! The great posts keep coming! Thanks guys! I did cancel my appt yesterday (don't kill me now please). But, as I said, I will discuss this with my PCP-he comes highly recommended and is part of a huge medical school/hospital close to where I live in PA. He has helped my friend find help, as she is the one who had recommended him. I really do appreciate all of your replies, advice, experiences and concern:D

Okay, I'm calling off my hitmen. But you better report back and let us know how things are going, or else we're coming after you! ;)

Good luck, jaypea.

I am also a teacher. I think because of our job, we see some of the saddest and happiest moments in life. I suffer from anxiety too. Mine is closely connected to my monthly cycle. I have been to counselling and it has helped me immensely. I think our occupation sometimes makes us feel responsible for the world. I have met many teachers in my life who have a very hard time setting limits. They take on the world and thus all the worries of the world.

I just can't stress how important counselling it in dealing with anxiety, but like others have mentioned here it is very important that one find the right counsellor. I was in therapy for three years steady and then on and off again during difficult times in my life. I haven't gone to counselling in about 5 years, and I do deal with my anxiety about life much better. My connection with God had also been critical to my healing. I have changed from a religous person, which was feeding my anxiety, to a spiritual person. I don't know how to clarify the difference, but when you get there you will know it. I am a christian, lutheran even, but I am not religious.
Anxiety is paralyzing. It robs you of the life you were ment to live. I really hope you find a real solution to this problem. I know learning to set limits, learning that I was loved, and that I am not alone in my struggles has helped me so much. I really hope you will seek out counselling, and stick with it. There are no quick fixes for anxiety. It is battle you will have to fight.

PS Don't rule out meds. They have not been a major part of my recovery, but I did take paxil for about a year after a very traumatic incident. It helped take the edge off so I could function till I could get a grip again. I wish you well

Hopefull (I spell it wrong on purpose!)

Dear Hopefull,
I couldn't agree with you more that our job is very stressful and hectic! Yes, I too, feel that I am responsible for every single thing my students do/say/learn, etc. And, at times, it gets to me. I teach with a few younger teachers (like myself), and we do support each other through rough times. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! I will let everyone know how things work out when I go to my doctor (since he is so good, he can't take new patients for a while-August)x( But, I promise that will let everyone know how it went, and what he said. Right now, since I am off for the summer, I couldn't be calmer but I know that the end of August will be here before I know it:p

Anxiety can be crippling and keep you from living a full life. You might consider using meds on a short term basis while you develop a long term plan. A few years ago, I fell into depression and, while I was very distressed by the idea of medication, I used Paxil and therapy for a short while while I developed a diet and exercise plan to combat the problem. I went off the meds and did very well but I appreciated the benefits they gave me in the initial stages of treatment. Good luck! Keep us posted and keep searching until you find what works for you in a way which enhances your life and lets you realize your full potential!
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Years ago, I had my first anxiety attack. I didn't know what it was. I hyperventilated and had trouble breathing. Scared me to death! I had to go to the doctor and learn how to "relax". I am a natural worrier, too. It's not an easy thing to learn, but learn I did. I still "worry" but not on the scale I once did.

The thing about "worry" is that some of the things I worry about, I can't fix. I try to stay away from some of the worries (i.e. people who drain my energy, dramatic friends, putting myself in situations I shouldn't have been in, etc.), try to get rest, and care for myself a little better.

I hope your appointment goes well. I give you a "right on" for being a teachers. We really need more of you for our children!

Cee

Be a first rate version of yourself, and not a second rate copy of someone else.

-- Judy Garland:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.