antidepressants

well i just got back from the doc and it really felt good to seek help and get things off my chest about how i have been feeling. She said that all my symptoms are classic signs of depression and has prescribed me zoloft. She was going to put me on welbutrin but i'm on a seizure med so they conflice with each other. I will take this as recommended and see how i feel in 4 weeks. Thanks again for all your support and info.

Hope everything works out. Hang in there.

I have heard that some antidepressants are hard to come off of (Effexor, Paxil, Cymbalta, Lexapro). I delayed help for myself for A VERY LONG TIME because of this. I have heard that when you are coming off one of these stronger meds that you can take prozac because it will lessen the harsh effects of coming off. That worked great for a friend of mine. Completely took care of her problem of coming of Paxil. I believe prozac is much more mild but enough to help the serotonin levels change gradually so there is not so much dizziness. Like I said, no personal experience but my friend swears by it to help discontinue paxil.

hope that helps somebody.

Ok, so i'm re-thinking my decision right now. First, I have not filled my script yet from my doc. Why you may ask, well, i just don't feel comfortable with it. I went to my doc and said i felt sad and i have trouble sleeping and turning my thinking off. She automatically said, "its depression" and prescribed me 50mg of zoloft (which to me is a lot to start someone on) I've been analyzing myself for the past 2 days and have come to realize that i tend to be negative and i hold myself into this grumpy pissed off place for NO REASON! Part of it is i think i have gotten so strick with my food and working out that i don't want to do anything and i have fear that if i give myself a little flexibility that i will gain weight. A pill is not going to help these thoughts so i have decided that instead of allowing a pill to fix my problems i'm going to go speak to a therapist instead. If the therapist decides i need meds then i will take them. I don't think that a primary doc should be prescribing meds so freely like this. I definately believe that some people need them but i'm not sure right now if i'm in a true chemical depression state. So until i start working on me through cognitive therapy, that prescription is remaining unfilled.

Good thinking, Karie..meds are not the answer for everyone, each case has to be treated on an individual basis. Meds, in my particular case are a must given my family history...I'd prefer to not be on them, but happily accept that that's just the way it is in my case. Swallowing a pill a day to help keep my chemicals at a normal level is not a hard thing, not hard at all.

Ok, so i'm re-thinking my decision right now. First, I have not filled my script yet from my doc. Why you may ask, well, i just don't feel comfortable with it. I went to my doc and said i felt sad and i have trouble sleeping and turning my thinking off. She automatically said, "its depression" and prescribed me 50mg of zoloft (which to me is a lot to start someone on) I've been analyzing myself for the past 2 days and have come to realize that i tend to be negative and i hold myself into this grumpy pissed off place for NO REASON! Part of it is i think i have gotten so strick with my food and working out that i don't want to do anything and i have fear that if i give myself a little flexibility that i will gain weight. A pill is not going to help these thoughts so i have decided that instead of allowing a pill to fix my problems i'm going to go speak to a therapist instead. If the therapist decides i need meds then i will take them. I don't think that a primary doc should be prescribing meds so freely like this. I definately believe that some people need them but i'm not sure right now if i'm in a true chemical depression state. So until i start working on me through cognitive therapy, that prescription is remaining unfilled.

I strongly support your decision- pills don't solve the problems that give rise to the depression and they often cause whole new ones.

Karie, I made the same choice when I first started seeing someone for anxiety a number of years ago now. I decided to really dig into the therapeutic process before choosing anti-anxiety meds. It wasn't eat but it worked out great! I never did chose to go on the pills. These days I manage it with exercise, meditation and humor. Good for you for thinking it through and deciding what is best for you.

And if you do decide to use the meds down the line, that's OK too. :) Good luck to you. I hope the depression eases.

3 years is a long time to feel down as described in your first post. please make sure you get the assistance you need by either talking to a doctor, taking medication or other alternative therapy. i don't know if your doctor ordered a blood test for you, but your thyroid should be checked out as well. 3 years is too long for you and your family to suffer.

3 years is a long time to feel down as described in your first post. please make sure you get the assistance you need by either talking to a doctor, taking medication or other alternative therapy. i don't know if your doctor ordered a blood test for you, but your thyroid should be checked out as well. 3 years is too long for you and your family to suffer.

your right, 3 years is a long time which is why i went to the doc but at this time i want to try therapy first before jumping on a med. A lot of personal things have occured over the past 3-4 years so i think i need to work through some things. My doc ordered a blood test and hopefully i will get it done tomorrow. I have thought about the thyroid thing as well.

Kari, You are thinking through your situation and deciding what is best for you which is always a good thing! As I look back at my situation, my doctor was too quick to put me on medication and I was too quick to just blindly take it without investigating other avenues. I wish you the best of luck!
Joyce

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.