Another 'week off' question

Evie

Cathlete
I'm coming up for my "week off" from STS. I generally cannot follow the rotations exactly as they are set out in the STS program, i.e. life gets in the way, and I wind up having 2 or even sometimes 3 days off from working out during the week.

Is the rest week still so imperative? I thought that perhaps I hadn't been working as hard as the program is designed, and so could keep working right through without a "rest week." I don't see how I could have taxed my body as much as those of you who have been following the program exactly as set out by Cathe, and so wondered if I really need a rest week.

Thanks,

IMHO, given the vagaries of your schedule, I think that you can just "ask your body" at the end of the first mesocycle whether it needs a break. The way the mesocycles are structured, there is only one rest day each week, and that can prompt the need for a rest week. I think it may be possible for you to skip the rest week since you're getting some additional, impromptu rest days within each week.

A-Jock

I've read, it's really more of an "active recovery" week than a rest week, so cardio is still ok to do, but you might want to follow the recommendation to not do any weights during this week. This week is probably pretty important to give your muscles a rest, then come back even stronger for meso 2.

I agree, Dela. I take a week off every 5 - 6 weeks. But when I do, I am taking time off of HIIT workouts and weight lifting. I do cardio and stretching all week. I think the issue is about muscle recovery from weight lifting - not that we aren't working out. The muscles need time to repair. I am actually pushing myself a bit harder because of my wedding on the 21st. So I will be at two months before I get a rest week - but then I will have 1.5 weeks of just hiking and doing "fun" cardio after the wedding.

I would think in terms of steady state cardio. Of course, Cathe knows better than I do - as do many others on this forum.

Oh - and Evelyn - it sounds like you are doing your weight work outs regularly every week even if you aren't doing 6 days of working out. I would take the week off of weight lifting and just replace what you are doing with steady state cardio.

That's my opinion - and I'm sticking to it! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I think what I'll probably do is take a few days (3-4) "off," doing some light cardio of some type and then jumping back into the next mesocycle.

I appreciate your input.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.