Ankle weakness

It could be any of those factors. Can you give us more details? Are your shoes old? What is your routine? Frequency of heavy impact?

Debbie

I'm not gaining weight. I'm retaining food.

Maybe you need to strengthen them a little more. Once I saw on an exercise DVD where the instructor sat on her step and placed her feet on a garbage bag (on the floor and wearing socks), and she would keep her heels in place and rotate her feet (toes) all the way facing out and then back parallel.

OMG! That's so fuuny because just this morning I noticed my left ankle bothering me a bit. I have pretty new shoes, so I don't think it's that. Maybe my form? Also, I do cardio 6 days a week at least, most days for 70-90 minutes (although I try to switch up power stepping with low impact and kick boxing-all Cathe). Okay, when I am especially stressed out, I may work out in the afternoon as well (I work out at 5 in the morning). I don't think its an overuse thing because then wouldn't both be bothering me? I was thinking about getting an ankle supporter.

Lorie

>It could be any of those factors. Can you give us more
>details? Are your shoes old? What is your routine?
>Frequency of heavy impact?
>
>
>Debbie
>
>
>I'm not gaining weight. I'm retaining food.

My shoes are about a year and a half old, but I haven't worked out consistently that whole time. They are New Balance crosstrainers.

I work out about 5-6 days a week with Cathe's beginners DVDs.

New shoes wouldn't hurt. It's generally a good idea to replace workout shoes every 6 months to a year at the most. I would stop by a specialty shop and get properly fitted. That woud probably help a lot. Another thing is, you may just need to build up strength in your ankles. Weight training can most definitely help with that, but you need to be consistent. Also be sure to watch your form (or get help if you are unsure). Bad form can cause more harm than good. I would lay off impact for now until you can see what the culprit is for sure. If all else fails, you may need to consult your doctor. Be careful and good luck.

Debbie

I'm not gaining weight. I'm retaining food.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.