Am I too strict a parent version 2

ducky

Cathlete
Kims post about her 13 year old made me think of one rule that we are apparently the only parents in my town to enforce. I cannot believe it! It's wearing a bike helmet while riding a bike. We have always enforced the rule, no helmet, no bike. My kids put the helmet on automatically, it's like buckling up in the car.

At the end of this school year my 5th graders class went for a bike ride in PhyEd. We talked about how not very many kids would be wearing their helmets and that it didn't matter, he still had to. When I dropped my other son off at school I saw the mass of 5th grade bikes, and there was only ONE bike with a helmet on it... my son's. He was the ONLY one! I am just livid about that. I feel for him, I know it must be awful to be the only one that has to wear a helmet, but I can't tell him it's ok not to. I thought he might not wear it in that situation, but he actually did, and the teacher commented how proud he was of him. I think he was even proud of himself for doing it. Major mom brag there!

I also make them wear a helmet skating and skateboarding. I tell them I know it's not cool to wear a helmet but it's really not cool to have to be in a wheelchair and drool the rest of your life either. I don't know what I should do as they get older. They would of course get teased to death at places like the skateboard park... where the "cool older kids go". Not that I give a hoot about the "cool older kids", but no one wants their kids teased.

So... what would you do? To me it seems like wearing a bike helmet should be law, but it's not. It seems like the decision to protect your kids head would be a priority for parents but apparently it's not. Am I just to strict? Thanks for any replies.

Being concerned for the health and safety of your children is not being too strict. There SHOULD be helmet laws for bicycles, but unfortunately there aren't and it's left up to parents and individuals to decide whether they want to protect themselves or risk life-altering injuries or even death. If your son gets teased about wearing a helmet, you could have him point out that professional cyclists (like Lance Armstrong - everyone knows who that is!) wear helmets when THEY ride. So how could it NOT be cool? :)

I'm surprised that the PE teacher wouldn't require kids of that age to wear helmets on a school function. NOt doing so certainly gives them the message that it's o.k. not to, or even better not to.

More than bike helmets, I think wearing a helmet on a motorcycle should be law. Just think if you get into an accident with a motorcylist, no matter whose fault it is, and they fall down. If they wear a helmet, there's less injury; with no helmet, they could crack their heads open on the pavement like an egg. And someone, somewhere would probably sue you, even if the accident was the cyclists fault.

No, I don't think you are being too strict.

My husband and I grew up in an era when no one wore bike helmets, however, our children all wear one.

When my husband was a teen he went on a trip where they biked around and camped. He was required to wear a helmet and it saved his life. That experience has always stuck with him.

My SIL wears a bike helmet (as do her kids) when they ride horses. She says they are the only "nerds" who do, but she is determined that their heads be protected in the event of an accident.

You are doing the right thing.

Maggie

It's the law in our state. I don't know what the age is where they don't need to wear it anymore, but I definitely will enforce it with my child.

>I'm surprised that the PE teacher wouldn't require kids of
>that age to wear helmets on a school function. NOt doing so
>certainly gives them the message that it's o.k. not to, or
>even better not to.

Oh Kathryn! I agree. I went to the teacher and the school principle last year asking them to require helments and they said since it wasn't a law they wouldn't require it. Then they also said that very few of the kids would be able to go on the ride as they didn't even own helmets! I'm just appauled by this.

My kids always wear their helmets automatically also and they are the only ones who do. So far, they haven't complained.

My neighbor's little boy fell off his bike a couple of years ago and got a concussion. He lost consciousness for a moment, babbled nonsense when he came to and couldn't recall the accident. We happened to be outside when it happened and my DH carried him home. His mom said that she was sooo embarrassed at the ER because everyone that examined her son asked if he was wearing a helmet and she had to tell everyone that he wasn't. He wore a helmet for about 2 weeks after that, but not anymore. x(

I don't think you're being too strict at all. Wearing a helmet isn't a big deal and it can save your child's life.

Erica

Ridiculous! If they don't require safety equipment, they are just looking for an issue. With a group of kids like that, when one falls, about six or seven (without helmets) fall!

You are a GREAT parent for making your child protect himself!

Christine :)

I too am really surprised that your school didn't require the helmet for the bike ride. And, I don't think you are being strict about making your kids wear the helmet for those activities you mentioned. I think that since you started them young they will always want to. As they get older, just keep telling them how smart they are for choosing to wear a helmet (let them feel they are making the choice). Also, by showing them pictures/articles of kids that didn't wear their helmet will educate them on what could happen.

Joanne

I just wanted to add that you sound like a really great Mom. It is so hard raising kids. Also, your boys are really cute.

Joanne

You are not being too strict when it comes to your childs health. Children are ours to love and are responsible for. Hey my kids tell me well all the other kids get to do this and that. Well wearing a helmet is something you definitely shouldn't feel bad about.

It is so hard being a parent. And we all have different views, but loving our kids is something everyone has in common.

kim

I agree with everyone--you are no means being too strict. Everyone in our family wear helmets, including the adults. When I go roller blading I have all the gear--helmet, knee, elbow, and wrist. I KNOW I look like a nerd, but don't care.

My 16-year-old son crashed into a wall when he was about seven and we're convinced the helmet saved him. It was cracked into nine pieces. Ever since then, it has been no problem getting him to wear the helmet. DS9 is also cooperative, because he knows the helmet story as well. I wish we had kept the helmet, but I think we sent it back to the company for their research. My rule is, no helmet, no bike. Ds9 is one of the few in his school who wears one, but he likes being a little rebellious, so it hasn't been a problem yet. (DH and I always wear helmets when biking and skating, so I guess they see us doing it and figure they should too.)

Thank you all for your replies (and for saying my boys were cute joanne). I think I knew that requiring helmets wasn't being strict - that just seems like the wrong word for it. It seems like a no-brainer decision to me. That's why I can't believe how few kids wear them. I wondered if it was like that other places, or just here.

My question to myself has been: do I continue the strict policy as they become teens knowing they will be teased and made fun of? You reinforced my thinking not, and that it would be a pretty lame excuse for changing anything. Glad to know you are out there!

This is very surprising that the school would not require helmets. I have been on plenty of organized bike rides where if you didn't have a helmet, you couldn't ride....PERIOD And our state does not have a helmet law. The price of a helmet is so small compared to the alternative.

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.