Am I being selfish here?

Any person can disagree about the choices you make for your children, but that's it. They are your children and it is your choice. Outside of abusiveness, people need to be allowed to raise their children their own way.
I'm sorry your parents wouldn't hear the very rational reasons you have for making your decision. I'm sorry that they appear to be using blackmail to force you into conceding a decision that you have made based on what you believe to be best for your chilren. Your parents have clearly not let go of their need to make decisions for their child. Hopefully they will come to show you the respect you deserve as an adult and parent in your own right, but perhaps there is something thretening to them in that realization...A lot of parents have trouble letting go, even after their children have been grown for decades.
The important thing is you are listening to your best judgement and making a decision based on what you believe is best for your kids. Good for you and stick to your guns!!
Hopefully your continued adult behavior will inspire your parents to treat you like an adult...hopefully- but you don't need their permission or approval to be an adult, you give that to yourself.

As I watched the news today I thought about this post. I can bet your parents changed their mind with all the things that happened today in Britain and at airports around the World. You were right and they were wrong. Never ignore your mother's intuition!

>As I watched the news today I thought about this post. I can
>bet your parents changed their mind with all the things that
>happened today in Britain and at airports around the World.
>You were right and they were wrong. Never ignore your
>mother's intuition!

Ditto and no kidding!!

So did I! You FOR SURE made the right decision!

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Without even considering the nightmare for travelers right now, I agree that your kids are too young to make that kind of trip alone. It seems kind of selfish of the grandparents to suggest it, if you ask me.

I was 15 when I took my first overseas flight alone, but I had made that trip w/ my father several times before. Based upon my experience, I'd say the kids definitely need to be accompanied by an adult the first time.

What disturbs me is not that two young children should or should not be flying so far by themselves, but that your parents paid no heed to the fact that you are the parent and your decision should be respected. Your reasons for that decision are beside the point.

Too often I think we try to give excuses and justify our decisions, when in truth, it's your right to make whatever decision you see as best, regardless of your reason. Obviously your parents don't understand that concept. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.