Almond lovers, did you know...

This is insane!
What about cashews? I eat more cashews than any other nut.
I've been buying Trader Joe's Wasabi almonds...love those!

Great. I just gave up peanut butter for almond butter! Trying to eat more walnuts for the omega 3s, they probably spray those with paint thinner.

Great. I just gave up peanut butter for almond butter! Trying to eat more walnuts for the omega 3s, they probably spray those with paint thinner.

LOL!
Thanks for the morning laugh. :D
What's left to eat? I don't know...maybe McDonalds is not so bad after all.:p

That's why I switched to Trader Joe's nuts... well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

So, you like Joe's nuts?! :D:D :cool::p:p
Actually, a few people on the VF emailed Trader Joe's asking about their almonds, and they confirmed they do not sell nuts using the PPO process. They are steamed.:D

I checked with Vitamin Cottage and their almonds have only been steamed. The cost is only about 40 centsper pound above the cost of Costco's (which have been PPO).

We don't have a Vitamin Cottage here in PA that I'm aware of. Not a bad price you got for a whole lotta peace of mind! ;) Yes, those darn Costco almonds are pasteurized w/PPO. :( I'm considering making a bulk buy from a CA almond grower directly. They discuss pasteurization on their website, and they do use the steam method, which is preferable. Their annual harvest is in September, so I'm trying to hang on until then. This farmer will only sell the current year's crop, so I don't want to purchase last year's crop now.

Since I didn't know what PPO was about I looked into it and found 2 interesting articles for those who are ignorant on the subject.
I hope this information is helpful.

Almond pasteurization as dictated by the Almond Board of California and the US Department of Agriculture.

Salmonella, Almonds, Pasturize, Food Safety - Dr. Weil

www.almondboard.com/.../Pasteurization-Using-PPO-SOP.pdf

I have just done my first group buy through green smoothie girl.com last fall. She has a huge selection of raw, organic foods to buy in bulk once a year. It is worth it even with the shipping cost. I got 50 lbs of raw organic almonds and raw organic cashews, and there are so many great things to do with them. I soak and dehydrate them first for an exponential increase in nutrients, plus they get even more crunchy that way. I've made cashew cream, cashew sour cream, cashew and almond cheeses, crackers, spiced nuts etc, all raw and organic. No need to worry about chemicals. I even made a tiramisu all out of cashews and almonds!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.