Alcohol and teenagers

Right but Eric he is 15 1/2, the way the see things at that age. I just think the teacher was STUPID. What was the point asking? To show wow everyone is doing it. Like Kathryn said maybe many of the kids raised their hand to show they are cool.

I stand with my view a very STUPID teacher.

I have another point of view.

If the legal drinking age is 21, isn't allowing your son to have alcohol encouraging breaking the law?

>I have another point of view.
>
>If the legal drinking age is 21, isn't allowing your son to
>have alcohol encouraging breaking the law?

oooh, yeah, gotta agree with that even though I hate to be that harsh.

I know your son is an honor student and a good kid but good kids can get in trouble too. They may not even mean to at first. He may share that affinity for alcohol, plus, he is still a teen and out there experimenting. Remember that alcohol IS addicting. It is strange he wants a taste even though you and your husband don't drink. Sure he hasn't "tasted" it elsewhere?

I know many would not agree but I also think allowing him to drink is like allowing him to break the law.

That being said........my parents allowed me to smoke in the house around the age of 16. They purchased my cigarrettes before I was old enough to buy them. Then, once I turned 18, I purchased theirs! I look back on that and do think that was wrong. Ironically, I am the only person in my family now that does not smoke. I quit after smoking heavily for 7 years and turned to exercise as my outlet for stress.

I guess what I am saying is that just because my parents allowed it doesn't mean that I had to remain a smoker all my life but why allow it?? Plus, alcohol addiction can devastate and cause many other problems in your life. I wouldn't trust it. Just say "NO!". My parents didn't because they wanted to be the "cool" parents, but it didn't help me any!

If it were me, I would tell him that if he did happen to drink outside of your house that NO MATTER WHAT he could call you and you would pick him up wherever he was WITHOUT QUESTION. That you would not punish him (as long as he didn't do something really stupid too). I think that is very important to tell kids because we all know they WILL experiment. But I would not condone it in my home.

And I am probably talking out of my butt too because I don't have kids either. Just my opinion...lol
;-)

Janice and everyone,

I know that the "breaking the law" thing sounds harsh but it is illegal. I mean, how does a parent get around letting their teenager break the law and then tell them they must abide by the law?

It's tough having teenagers, sigh... I do remember those years with my daughter. It was tough x(

I am so glad my teens are anti-drug, anti-alcohol and anti-smoking and I don't envy your dilemma. I am sending you positive vibes as I type. Teenagers are so suseptible to peer pressure and drugs and alcohol are so pervasive, there's a chance your child might indulge. Sadly, teens are so susceptible to peer pressure. Your ability to communicate with him is so important now. I pray your communication will touch him and help him know that he has plenty of time to experiment with alcohol and it's preferable if he does that when he is older and more mature. His curiosity is normal but waiting is the best possilbe course of action. Encourage him to be open, which he has shown himself to be. That could be the saving grace in this situation. Tell him you trust him to be responsible as he has up until now. My kids know that they can tell me anything. So far they have shown themselves to be trustworthy and not inclined to go that route. Thank goodness. I wish you great good luch as you deal with this. He sounds like a great kid and I think you can reach him and persuade him to wait until he is older. My daughter went to Germany where the teens do drink and although many of her friends drank, she did not and I was so happy about that. She has a good head on her shoulders. She has been exposed to the horror of alcoholism and it has helped her to make the choice not to experiement as so many of her friends have. Some of them have gotten into a great deal of trouble. It is s scary having teens these days. But I am happy to report that mine are doing really well with all the myriad things that come up and have the potential to be troublesome. I wish you the same. Good luck!
Bobbi "Chicks rule!"http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-032.gif
Tell me what you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/linie/smiley-linie-008.gif

Laurie,

I am a nearly fifty year old with 2 adult sons(and a 9 yearold daughter). In my own home, my parents let us drink at home, consequently my friends congregated with my cool parents. I drank too much at that time. Not an addiction but my studies were impaired. This went on through my college years. When dh and I hit 30's, I drank less and less, for health reasons and it made me tired. Our boys did not drink at home. We didn't want them to have the problems we did. We let them taste, but zero tolerance beyond that.

The two boys took this differently. One son, didn't drrink for sports reasons. He got drunk at his 21st home birthday party, and missed a flight the next morning. He doesn't over drink since then.

The second boy pushed it. He drank some with friends who were risk takers, wild and had some issues of loss. Throwing alcohol into the mix was horrible. I got out of bed in the wee hours to go places to get him. His friends have affirmed that decision now and spoken how strong I was to do what I did. Several have said they wished their parents had been so proactive.

That son is now a dad. He doesn't drink at all nor does his wife. They have shied away from friends who drink regularly commenting on their wasted hours. He has never thanked me or anything, but his behavior tells me a good deal.

My sister has followed my parents model. Her kids steal her liquor, and have arrest records involving alcohol. Come to think of it my sis did too!

Teachreef

We're pretty much on the same page Teachreef:) I am boggled by the parents who actually buy alcohol for their Kids and will drink it with them. Parents and children must have boundries and it's up to the parent to set those boundries. Having an underage child as a drinking buddy erases all boundries and to draw the child's friends into it is criminal both literally and figuratively.

As a teen, drinking was taboo in my home. My father was a wonderful man but a pathetic binge drinker who found AA when I was 13. I was surrounded by drunken relatives at most gatherings and depending on the mood they didn't end until a)the alcohol ran out b)a huge fight had broken out or c)they'd run out of pub songs. I had no model of responsible drinking and although I've had times in my life that I solved problems and healed wounds through the bottom of a bottle those years are long past. I am very comfortable with how I have handled my teens as the dialogue of respect for what alcohol can do, alcoholism and responsible drinking have been a thread woven into their psyche throughout their growth and development. They have been taught that alcoholism is familial and although it hasn't been my demon that is not to say that they are not extremely vulnerable to the addiction that alcohol can be.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Laurie, great post!!!! My experience is similar. My youth was spent watching my mother's family put down a half-keg every single weekend and my father's family cleaning up at the multi-colored bar next to the picnic table. More often than not, someone got nasty and more than once I tripped over my uncle's girlfriend literally passed out on the steps. (This was one of the most traumatic situations of my life. I was so terrified I couldn't even tell anyone the woman was in there, thinking she was dead and I was somehow responsible.)

I cannot imagine being a parent who provides their teenager with alcohol. Your remarks about boundaries are right on the money.

Marie

The situation here is not a parent providing drinks to their kid so they won't drink it who knows where. It is a situation that the kid, after finding out everyone and his dog has tasted alchohol wants a taste to see what the big deal is. At least he went to his parents instead of finding a friend who could supply it and get drunk.

Personally, in this situation, I would tell the kid that I don't have any in our home, but if we were in a situation where there was alchohol, allow him a taste. Preferably something really nasty tasting so he realizes he is not missing anything. Also discuss what someone's resposibility is when old enough to drink, ie, don't drive, don't drink so much that you are in danger of alchohol poisoning, how bad you will feel the next day because of drinking too much, how bad for your healthy body alchohol is, and any personal reason why I myself don't drink. Probably he has gotten this all from health, but it sure helps to reinforce it. My daughter is in 7th grade and they discussed this in their health class this year.

Drinking is widespread in our teens in this country. I think it is a good sign this young man asked his parents instead of exploring it on his own and the best way to treat this honesty is with honesty.

And whether a kid drinks or not is dependant a lot on the crowd that kid falls into. If they end up in the partying crowd, it is very likely they will drink despite what their parents do. And in our high school, the partying crowd are the popular and athletic group, so don't kid yourself about a kid that is an outstanding athlete not drinking. They are usually the one holding the party.

Thank ou Erica for sharing and giving all of us a practice run should that question arise from one of our children. Trust your instincts, Erica. You love that child more than life itself. :) Your mother's heart will guide you and he willl know that. He sounds like a wonderful child and his curiosity is normal. By understanding that and thoughtfully considering his request but denying it because it's the wrong time, he will know you have his best interest at heart and I think he will wait. It's a blessing to have that kind of communcation with your teenager! :)

You have gotten such great advice. I love these smart women. It's so great to have these forums for guidance and support over these very deep and sometimes troubling issues.
Bobbi "Chicks rule!"http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-032.gif

Well, allow me to chime in as well.

I grew up in a house and was told to stay away from just about everything. My mom is a lab tech, and would actually test my blood when I came home from a night out. The more forbidden they made something, the more I wanted to do it (and found a way). I snuck around alot, got frighteningly drunk on more than one occasion - all at the age of 15. I also became sexually active and started smoking pot. My parents told me to stay away from everything and forbade me from hanging out with the "bad" kids that they believe engaged in this stuff regularly.

All of my friends that had "looser" parents did less sneaking around, less drugs, and were reckless with alcohol to a much lesser degree (although I personally think that it is naive to think that they won't be in situations where they are doing this with their friends).

On another note, I also have friends that didn't drink at all when they were in high school - or before age 21, for that matter. However, when they became legal, they tried to make up for lost time. They had reached an age where most other "kids" had experience with alcohol, and knew how to handle themselves as a result. They, however, did not, and wound up getting sick and making fools of themselves on more than one occasion.

So the short answer is, I think you should let him try it. And, of course, make sure he is well educated on the dangers of drinking - both underage and in general - and also educate him on what to expect when he starts to feel drunk. In my opinion, most kids don't know their tipping point even in "safe" environments, and that is where the danger tends to lie.

It's so hard to predict what a kid's reaction to a family situation and rules is going to be. Every individual and family is so different. When I was growing up, I knew a girl who had very strict parents - no make-up, dating, sleepovers, not even overnight field trips (she had to quit marching band for this reason). Well, as soon as she was 18, she got pregnant. Maybe if her parents had given her more freedom, that wouldn't have happened. On the other hand, my best friend in high school had lots of freedom and she also ended up pregnant at 18 and didn't even know who the father was.

My parents didn't care if I drank and I ended up being a heavy drinker in high school. By the time I started college, drinking wasn't as big of a deal for me, but some of the students who had stricter upbringings seemed to be going wild with alcohol because they never had it available before. Others still respected their upbringing and didn't smoke or abuse alcohol or drugs.

This was a very long way for me to state that I think there are a lot of situations where the outcome just depends on the individual.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses!

Erica

You make a great point about being authoritarian and showing yor child that you do not trust him. Your parents showed you they didn't trust you and you in turn rebelled. That is the worst case scenario which many parents endure when they have no trust or respect for their children. A couple of my conservative sisters had children go bonkers because of that but when a parent does give children freedoms and trust, they can persuade a child that underage drinking is not a good thing. I am very liberal but I cannot imagine telling one of my daughters to sit and have a glass of wine or a beer at home. Parents get to say no to such requests and I think Erica's son has shown that he can take being told no. He asked. With sound reasoning behind that no, he should understand his parents reservataions anad respect them just as his parents respect his curiosity but chose not to fulfill it at this time. That's the communication part of the relationship which is so important.
Talking to your kids abut not using drugs and alcohol can indeed dissuade them from doing it. Many kids indeed get really wild and experiment with alcoho and drugs in a very bad way when they hit 21 but that does not have to be the case. Rebellion is not a given. I know many many teenagers who are doing just fine without joining their wilder friends in experimenting with drugs, alcohol and sex. They are the ones who have open relationships, based on trust. My children know I trust them to behave responsibly and they respect that. Saying no to that request doesn't mean a rebellion. If a parent feels uncomfortable about giving a child alcohol, she owes it to herself and her child to say no. That he may go ahead and experiment outside of home is a possibility but it's more like he won't because he asked and was given good reasons for not being allowed to drink at this time. They can handle no when it's given with communication and trust. I think its tremendous that he asked. Children need boundaries and need to know the basis for parental decisions. When they are given well, such questions can be allayed and the child will happily receive even a negative response and he'll love and respect his parents for loving and respecting him enought to not give into such a request merely because he might do it outside of the home. Knowing where your kids go, with whom they hang out, it is fairly easy to circumvent the ciurcumstances under which underage drinking may occur. The American children in Germany got hammered a number of times.
The German kids did not. My duaghter knew before hand how she was going to deal with that and she did as she was asked and respected the laws of her country as she was asked by her teachers and her parents. I am very proud of that.

Well said Bobbi. I'm far from liberal but agree with you totally.

I think the most important thing is the parents stay intune with the kids and let them know they love them. I see WAY TOO MANY parents more concerned about their own social lives, carreers, golf games, manicures etc etc.

There is a woman in town who is a marathon runner- sounds good right... but if she spent 1/4 of the time she spends running with her kid- he'd be a lot better off. Everyone in town knows he is the druggie in school (actually they sent him to boarding school this year). I remember when he was 3 at a town event where she was mad her husband and son were late because she had a tennis date she couldn't miss. In 5th grade they had him having boygirl parties. As a friend said once you start that bus rolling it's unlikely to stop.

I do not agree with the poster 2 above re the looser parents having kids rebelling less. I think kids need to know the boundaries.

Interesting posts and wow we did it without any squabling :)

Ok, well, I have to chime in that there is a world of difference between a parent who forbids alcohol yet has open and frank discussions about why versus a parent who forces breathalyzers or blood tests on you. (Frankly I think there is something really wrong with that latter picture and I am sorry for the poster who had to deal with that.)

I admit freely to being a wild teenager and engaging in all sorts of behaviors that would make me absolutely croak were my own kids to take that path. There are a lot of reasons for this that I don't need to get into here. But I also don't try to hide my past from my kids. To the degree they need to know, we have very honest discussions about substance abuse and the reasons alcohol and drugs (and sex before you're ready - or your parents are ready, lol) are not the brightest ideas. Alcohol is a gateway to other things, whether we resist that idea or not.

Yes, kids will deal with a lot of peer pressure, but I don't think my job as a parent is to make it easier for them by making them part of the "cool" crowd but rather to give them the tools they need to deal with the pressure appropriately. I've read that kids with the opportunity to verbalize responses to those types of situations actually deal far better with them because they're "used to" saying things like, "No, thanks, that's not for me" or whatever and it not being a really big deal. My kids know that the friends who won't accept such decisions are not really friends, period.

Sorry so long!
Marie

So, I guess the fact that drinking is illegal before age 21 and assisting a child in breaking by allowing them to drink before that age doesn't really factor in. I find that interesting!

Candi, the legal drinking age is definitely an issue for me and is really why I posted this question in the first place. When my son asked me if he could taste some wine, but initial thought was absolutely not because it's against the law. But, then I started thinking about how he might react if it was forbidden and if he thought I was being rigid/controlling about him not drinking and then ended up sneaking alcohol. I didn't think of it in the context Bobbi described - telling him no, but keeping communication very open. That's definitely a good option for us.

However, my husband and I have raised our kids to question authority and not just blindly follow rules. I expect them to be respectful, but I want them to be critical thinkers. I break the law every time I go over the speed limit and my kids see me do it. It's hard for me to justify doing that, but I tell them that I'm an experienced driver and I only do it where I feel that it's safe. My husband and I also strongly disagree with the seat belt law. We are all seat belt users and would never drive anyone in our vehicles without being belted in, but we don't feel that it should be a law. We've discussed that with our kids and enjoy talking to our kids about issues like that. So, in our family, if we did decide to let our children taste alcohol in the teenage years to satisfy their curiousity and take some of the temptation away in other settings, the law would definitely be discussed.

Erica

I am pretty liberal and also one that thinks authority should be questioned. Thank you for your viewpoint on the law breaking issue.

I was not very strict with my daughter until I had to be and then by that time, it was tough to reign her in. Her father is an alcoholic, so you can see that the subject would be sensitive for me. But, I expected her to experiment with her peers...and not at home with me overseeing it, so I kept a close eye on her.

If my daughter had asked me if she could have alcohol at home, as liberal as I am, that would have put me in a real pickle. It would have been a very tough decision and I don't know how I would have handled the "law" aspect of the situation.

I just wonder, is there a moral/ethical difference in a parent breaking the law themselves by speeding versus assisting a child in breaking the law by giving them alcohol, knowing it's illegal. That's all.

I guess if the parent is willing to take on that responsibility, it's okay.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.