After 17 years of marriage there are several

Missy!

Where did that term "Barking Spiders" come from? I had never heard it before til I had my granddaughter here one day. She was VERY young (between 1 & 1/2) and made a "noise" and I asked, "What was that?" She said, "Barking piders!" (Couldn't say her s's!) I laughed my head off and told my daughter. She said Kennedy's dad taught her that. He is from Jersey. I had never heard the expression before but it hit me sooo funny!http://www.coolgifs.de/smileys/smily042.gif

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I have had Rich for 18 years.

1. He has yet to come to terms with the noise and clutter of a family of five.
2. He yells and thinks that's the proper way to express dissatisfaction.
3. He's as slobby and messy as any of us but refuses to see it and/or believes it's my job to pick up after him because he's the breadwinner. I think his attitude is sexist and he should pick up or shut up. We should be equally invested in our abode and have realistic expectations about how lively and discomboobulated a lived in home can be. Also, I retain full ownership of myself and could think complicated thoughts prior to meeting him.

1. He's smart and his memory astounds me.
2. He has a wickedly funny sense of humor.
3. He offers everything he learns or discovers to me like gifts. Which is to say, I still find him interesting and he seeks my interest. Plus he thinks I am "stunning" and often tells me so and it's usually when I feel like a hag! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

We will be 17 years in October. Not without a LOT of hard work I might add.

What I like about DH:
1. He's a great dad
2. He's a great husband (better than I am a wife)
3. He has stuck with me through thick and thin literally and figuratively and given that we are total opposites.
4. He supports whatever I want to do.
5. He is the hardest worker I know.
6. He was a great labor coach.
7. He'll eat anything and I mean ANYTHING.

What I bugs me:
1. When he gets an idea in his head it's like trying to stop a speeding train to get him to consider anything else.
2. He is a borderline workaholic (see #5 above)
3. He's very gassy.
4. He expects more from my son than my daughter just on the basis of gender and he doesn't have a clue that he's doing this.
5. He can be very flip and sarcastic.
6. We don't always agree about spending priorities. (who does?)
7. He has always hated sharing me with the kids which makes me feel like I have 3 kids instead of two at times.

I am convinced that a marriage goes through seasons. Sometimes you have a hard winter, sometimes a glorious summer, usually it's spring or fall, some rainy and cold days, some beautiful, warm days.

And we're still married....

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

>I am convinced that a marriage goes through seasons.
>Sometimes you have a hard winter, sometimes a glorious summer,
>usually it's spring or fall, some rainy and cold days, some
>beautiful, warm days.
>
>And we're still married....
>
>--Lois

Lois, that's a wonderful way to put it.

Marla

I love how were listing the faults of our partners and not ourselves? Interesting? No?

Infact, from my recolection, i can think of only Bobbi whom said something about herself.

I did. I listed as many negative things about me as I did about DH. I actually could have listed a couple more, but felt they were too personal to post on the board.

I am convinced that a marriage goes through seasons.
>Sometimes you have a hard winter, sometimes a glorious summer,
>usually it's spring or fall, some rainy and cold days, some
>beautiful, warm days.
>
>And we're still married....

This quote reminds me of something I heard once that I remember whenever I'm feeling less than in love with my husband. When asked what the secret to a long marriage was, a lady replied "We never fall out of love with each other at the same time".

It makes me remember that even though I may not feel so in love at the time, that feeling will come back if I really pay attention to what I've got.

"I love how were listing the faults of our partners and not ourselves? Interesting? No?"

Well, it wasn't the theme of the thread. Start the "I'm sure I drive my partner crazy when I...." thread and I'm there!;)

Allison

Ha! Ha! Missy!

Boy, you can find anything on the Internet, eh? Too funny!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I find it interesting that the areas that are positives are borne of our similarities and the negatives, our differences.

I indeed have a high tolerance for noise and mess. I have 12 siblings. It is no wonder he likes quiet and order; he has none. So, it comes down to getting the other person to take a peek at the situation from your perspective. Those reasonable expectatons again. And when there's a blow up, invariably it is an outside force, like a rotten day on the job, that makes one or the other start nitpicking about the little stuff. In the heat of the moment, that might not be apparent but once things settle down, and they always do, there's a meeting in the middle and life goes on.

We rarely butt heads, do not stay angry, are capable of taking responsibility for our faults and able to lean a little toward the other's way of doing things. We have more harmony than discord and another 18 years doesn't seem unreasonable. The objective is to remain together for a lifetime. My parents were married 54 years when my dad died, which just happens to be three sets of 18 years. My mother's life makes mine look like a cakewalk! My dad died 9 years ago and I am quite certain they would be facing their 63rd anniversary, side by side, were he alive.

The things we do which madden the other are of the least consequence. It's looking for and finding the things you loved about your beloved when you couldn't get enough of him that keep you bound in matrimony with an eye on forever. And keeping your sense of humor honed and ready because if you can see the funny side of life, you can hang in there through sick and sin, I mean, thick and thin. :D
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

I feel so much better knowing that my husband is "normal".

He has a drink or two everyday and that has been bothering me some lately. It used to be just beer, but now he has a thing for whiskey and diet Pepsi. I guess he just really likes the taste of it. Maybe that explains why he has been sleeping so well lately.

Thank goodness we have an unwritten rule about not farting around each other! I can't even type the word without laughing!

Tina

Tina!

Don't you wonder where in the world that word came from??? I am like you...can't even say the word without laughing. I'm Miss Prude I guess!

RE: Tina!

I am not even looking at the word and I am giggling.

It is major news at our house if somebody accidentally lets one go while they are sleeping. :)

Thanks for waking me up after my sugar-induced lunch coma!

Tina

I Love this post!
After 21 years...

Things that bug me:

1. The drinking 4,5,6.. glasses of wine like its water every night, I feel like such a nag because now I ask him " how many glasses of wine have you had already?"

2. His truck is immaculate. You are not even allowed to touch the door because you will leave fingerprints on it. You have to open it from the door handle and close it by pulling on the inside door handle. Try it sometime! :7 Yet when I ask him to help clean the house he dusts around things, mops the floor in 30 seconds, etc..

3. He can sit on ebay for hours on end looking at guitar parts

4. He sometimes abandons me for his guitars for several hours on end.

Things I love about him:

1. He worships the ground I walk on and tells me everyday how much he loves me and how pretty I am.

2. He can fix absolulely anything.

3. He works very hard and sometimes very long hours

4. He loves his dogs and his fish, sometimes Im not sure if he's talking to me or them "Hi sweetheart, how are you doing today?"

5. He watches all the night time soaps and Bachelor with me! And takes much abuse from our three sons about it!

6. He's a great Dad and takes care of his Mom and Dad.

All in all I guess we are all very lucky to have the men we do. Just check in with some of your single girlfriends! :p

Barking Spiders!

That is hilarious! Speaking of barking spiders! I heard on the radio this morning that the average time a person passes gas per day(doesn't matter if you're male or female) is 14!!!!!!!!!!

I thought maybe 3 or something like that but 14!!!!! LOL!! That's too funny!!!

>>5. He watches all the night time soaps and Bachelor with me!
>And takes much abuse from our three sons about it!
>

That's funny! Speaking of Bachelor....did you see the last episode where Sarah W. gets kicked off? I couldn't believe it when she said, "Being so beautiful is a curse sometimes. Maybe if I were ugly and less noticeable like the other 2, I would have gotten a rose!"

I couldn't believe it! http://www.weddingchat.com/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.