Afraid of Slide & Glides

rdnsdn

Cathlete
How do you get used to doing S & G jacks and other movements using both legs & arms simultaneously with them? I am really afraid I am going to fall or hurt my groin. So far I have just alternated one leg with opposite arm or held on to a chair while doing the legs only.

Don't know if I am getting as effective a workout but I figure better safe than sorry.

Anyone else having this problem and a better solution?

Thanks,
Sharon

what I've done is do smaller movements; not go as far or as deep until I get comfortable with the movements or only work the legs & then add the arms later. I think you need to do what's comfortable for you. I agree, it is better to be safe than risk injury.

Afraid of Slide and Glide

I've had knee surgery, so I was really nervous when I started, but just go really slow with really small movements, and you'll soon get more confident. I don't think there is a problem as you can always put your heel down to stop. I'd probably also start by just one hand on the chair, and then no hands, and as you get more comfortable, add the regular hand movements.

Another slow-goer here! I feel much more confident now, and I did Afterburn to tempo today. I still don't go as wide as the crew, but that will come with more practice.

I did Slide and Glide yesterday and actually was more careful I think than the first time I did them. I found that doing these new dvds (one a day) had me feeling it in places I hadn't before. That's good, but I'm pampering my lower right side of my back because of it. So, we must be careful in working up to some of these newer moves/tools:rolleyes:

I find my learning curve is to keep my foot in place all the time. Think it depends on your carpet type too and how they slide around. Another thing that I find that helps is your core strength to help move you around. Think mine needs some tuning up! :confused: Good luck and thanks for posting your thoughts.

Learning to really engage the inner and outer thighs in ways you haven't before also helps with control. That was a little tricky, but definitely works.

Hi Sharon. The caution you are experiencing is very normal. Most anyone who initially attempts sliding with both feet on the discs while moving simultaneously will be very rigid and held back. It definitely feels very different and in some ways similar of that of the first time you put on ice skates (if you ever did that). It's a very slick surface and it is a very normal reaction to be extra cautious as your body learns the proper mechanics.

I would suggest trying the moves you mentioned without the DVD first. Do them slowly and with a shortened extension and range of motion. You don't want to go down too fast or ahead of your level of comfort until you learn how to shift your weight and build your confidence through balance and deeper range of motion. Make sure to also put on the brakes, as needed, by placing your heel(s) on the floor.

After about 4 ten minute practice sessions you should start to feel good about your balance, form and range of motion.

Now when you put the DVD back in, if the moves feel fast to you, see if you can do them with less depth and less upper body momentum. In other words just condense the movement so that you are in better control. Then each time you do the workout you will master the moves little by little. When you feel ready, start opening up your movements (arms and legs) to be more dynamic and expressive. A little momentum goes a long way for this workout as it drives the heart rate up higher.

Good Luck and have fun! :)

How do you get used to doing S & G jacks and other movements using both legs & arms simultaneously with them? I am really afraid I am going to fall or hurt my groin. So far I have just alternated one leg with opposite arm or held on to a chair while doing the legs only.

Don't know if I am getting as effective a workout but I figure better safe than sorry.

Anyone else having this problem and a better solution?

Thanks,
Sharon

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.