Afraid of flu vaccines, please help...

Dela

Cathlete
Ok, I never received a flu shot ever, I don't know why I am so afraid of getting one, but I really don't want to get the flu. I got so sick last year, and think it may have been one of the nasty flues going around and don't want to go through that again.

So do most people here get the vaccine? What kind of side effects do you get? I'm hoping to hear my fears are irrational.

I got the regular flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine last year. I had zero side effects and I didn't get sick at all. I'll probably get the flu vaccine again this year.

I always get the flu shot. I have never had any side effects. I also find that the doctors and nurses who give flu shots, especially at flu clinics, are so experienced and skilled that you hardly feel the shot. I almost always to go a clinic instead of my family doctor because the clinic people are so much better at administering shots!

Stebby

I get the flu shot every year. I've never had any problems. You could take a couple ibuprofen before you get the shot to help with any tenderness that can occur in the muscle around the shot site.

My husband, who is a teacher, never gets the shot and never gets the flu--go figure. But I DO get the flu. My kids and I were all sick one year when my youngest was a baby: It was one of the worst 2 weeks of my life. After that, I've gotten the shot EVERY year. A needle prick is nothing compared to the flu.

Thank you thank you! I don't know what my problem is, well I am really afraid of shots too. I'm going to go do this, there is a Walgreen around the corner.

Thank you thank you! I don't know what my problem is, well I am really afraid of shots too. I'm going to go do this, there is a Walgreen around the corner.

I don't know how the nurse at my doc's office did it but I didn't even feel the needle go in at all. Hopefully you'll be lucky too and not feel it.

OK, I'm back already! That was super fast. I did it, the technician thinks I'm a freak for all my freaking out, but I did it! My insurance even covered it.

You are all right, I barely felt it, no pain at all.

You were very brave and deserve a sticker.:D Seriously though, good for you! My daughter absolutely HATES shots, so I can understand your not wanting to get one.

Ha! Bet you feel silly about being so afraid of such a minor thing. I didn't get the H1N1 last year, but only because it was such a hassle to try to get it. I've had the flu shot twice in my life, but can't remember ever having the flu. I'm knocking on wood here.

I got the flu vaccine for the first time last winter on my doc's recommendation. The beginning of this year saw me sick for three months straight with one virus after another. I actually lost my sense of smell and still don't have it back, and that really bothers me, because I had one of those super noses. I'll never do the vaccine again.

I used to get the flu every single year, but the last 7 - 10 years I've gotten the flu shot and haven't gotten the flu.

However, back in the mid 70's (ok, I'm old...) I got the Swine Flu shot, and several weeks later I got so sick I missed almost a month of work. It could have been a coincidence, but I've heard a lot of people had the same thing happen.

This year's flu shot also has the H1N1 ("swine flu") vaccine in with the regular flu shot vaccine, and I've decided not to get the shot this year. I'm hoping I don't get the flu, but I'm reluctant to get the H1N1 vaccine...:( I wish they would have given us a choice to have the regular flu shot without the H1N1 being included.

I've read several books/articles by doctors who don't recommend getting the flu shot because there may be mercury or other stuff in them. Has anyone heard of this? I guess I'm trying to justify not getting the shot this year...

No choice!

It is mandatory for all employees where I work to get the flu shot. If you don't get the flu shot you will be terminated :confused:. I work at a Medical School that is affiliated with a hospital and they want to minimize the spread of the flu throughout the medical center. Last year was the first year I have ever received the vaccine and I didn't notice any side effects. I have had the flu in the past and it is VERY DEBILITATING!!!! I was also afraid of the vaccine :eek: and would probably not have gotten one last year if it wasn't mandatory. That said, I now realize how important it is to protect the general population that may not be as healthy as most of us fitness freaks to make it through a bout of the flu without serious complications :(. I am definately getting the vaccine this year (paid for by my employer!) whether they make it mandatory or not!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.