Aerobic Floor ? for Chris

pussycat

Cathlete
Hi Chris~
I wondered if you would give me your opinion on finsihing an aerobic floor. My husband has all the info that you gave on the other thread and is ready to get busy.:) He wanted to put 3/4" tongue & groove flooring on top of the plyowood to finish it. It would be similar to gym flooring using oak, hickory or hard maple. Would this work or not?

Thanks for all the help! :)

The problem with something as thick as a hardwood floor is it is not very flexible and will diminish the energy return of this type of flooring. The thinner the floor covering the better. A Pergo type floor will only have a thickness of about 3/8 of an inch which is half the thickness of your hardwood floor. A Pergo floor is also cheaper and the short planks bend quite easily and will not hurt the energy return of the floor as much. A hardwood floor will work and will be much better than concrete, but not as good as foam block floor that is covered in either carpet, vinyl or Pergo.

Hi Susan -- would you mind providing me with the link from Chris on the aerobic floor? I tried to find it, but I couldn't. My workout room is upstairs and I currently have carpet. I'm hoping to be able to put in an aerobic floor within the next few months. Any input would be very much appreciated!! :)

Thanks Susan!

Julie

I had my floor put in last Friday and I'm very happy with it. I took pictures that I haven't had a chance to upload and post. When I do I will post a link so anyone who is interested can see them.

Thanks so much Susan! I'm going to print this out for my husband as well (I can already see the look on his face -- another project I want for him to do!!). I'm so used to working out on carpet and when I went on the roadtrip last year, it was the first time I had worked out on a gym floor. I absolutely loved it!! Anyhow thanks again!!

Also -- Jodi, would love to see your floor as well. Please let us see pics when you can!

Julie

Hi JodiJodi, I would also really love to see the pictures of your new flooring. My husband is going to build one in our basement.
Pictures would sure be a big help.
Rocky

Yes, there is a thin carpeting on top of the plywood, with no padding. We actually re-used the carpeting that we'd had installed there three years ago and saved a little money.

I am uploading the pictures right now. Once I get them organized and put in comments I will post a link.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.