Advice on a Resume

punka274

Cathlete
Hi there:)

I also posted this in one of my check ins so I figured it couldn't hurt to also post it here,ANY adivice would be appreciated!

I can't sleep,after going to class yesterday and hearing it may be hard for me to find a job...thats all I thought about last night! Over 70% of the women in my class are going for the medical billing certification(which apparently won't be enough education,as a Ga state exam certificate is required now for anybody to even glance at your resume) Im going to have ALOT of competition too!.

Anybody know where I can find a good description of a presentable medical resume? I need to rise upbove the rest and I think a nice presentable resume is a good start! Oh man,talk about anxiety-all I want to do is have a nice office job bringing home some extra income!That will make me happy,thats not asking for alot!

I had a chance(still may be offered)for an internship at my kids doc office,I don't know why I didn't take it? Whats wrong with me? Maybe the thought of not getting paid - I don't know?

ok,enough whinning

Ms. Amelia....have you been to your school's library? There are usually a wide variety of books, and probably one tailored to your field, that will give excellent resume advice, including sample resumes. Also, be sure to hound the career center. Make them earn their $$ (that comes out of YOUR tuition!)

Also, are there any professional associations out there? Are you a member? If not, you should be, especially if you can take advantage of student membership rates. Many associations will offer resume help and have mentoring programs. Take advantage of them (and network!) Many also have listservs or message boards that could be helpful.

Did I say network? Yes, network!! Shamelessly...persistently.

I frequently give talks to the graduate students at my alma mater and I am often appalled at how the students lament the job market yet won't get off their duff to get involved with professional associations or even networking socials (which include food(!) and drink(!!)) yet expect a job to be handed to them in gift wrapped upon graduation. Of course, those of you who know Amelia know she's ambitious little chickie and the "competition" better be nervous about her!!

PS: I hope you don't type as bad as Ms. Beavs!

Oh Beavs,I could just hug you right now! Thank you SO MUCH for your reply! I will go to the library and see whats up! Didn't even think of that(DUH) I think Im just getting all worked up and im having an 'emotional' day(poor DH) Your the best! I can't wait to meetcha one day;-)

All my fellow catheites are just so inspiring,and so knowledgeable!

You can also GOOGLE the information. So GOOGLE your occupation with the words resume and sample. You get lots of ideas. Not only samples to describe your occupation and experience but different resume formats as well. It really helped putting a new spin on my resume. Good luck and hope you find a job super quick.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Google is the last source I would check (but I would check it). There is no quality control and you may not necessarily know who actually posted whatever you're looking at. I'm always amazed at the poor quality research people do when they think Google has all the answers. Start with a book first and don't hesitate to ask the librarian for help. They actually know stuff...;-)

1 piece of advice. Keep your resume to one page, unless you are God.

Sorry, but this is an absolute pet peeve of mine. I frequently hire and I hate slugging through hundreds of resumes - and I am really NOT going to read three pages.

Be concise.

Amelia, once you draft it, I'd be happy to review your resume for you.
I don't know if you remember when I was interviewing paralegals last year, but I was appalled at the awful quality of the resumes. Among other things, every single resume I reviewed had at least one typo! :eek:
If you give me your resume to review, THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. ;)

Thanks Ladies

I do agree,one page should be enough!

Nancy-Yes,I would love that--I will send it too you when I get done! Thanks;-)

a) Write a very brief cover letter (1 paragraph) describing your specific knowledge of their company and how you and your experience, schooling, etc will make a good match. You could use Google here to get company statistics, characteristics, stategies, etc.

b) Wtite a one page resume with no spelling errors or typos.

c) Use a nice quality paper that is slightly different than the average. I always like parchment paper in a light blue slate or grey. It is very professional looking.

Good luck

You may want to go to hotjobs or monster and just look for openings in your field. Try to tailor your resume to what employers are looking for as best as you can.

And the google thing may not be too bad if you just pick and choose what others have written. Sometimes some good "buzz" words will help.

And having Nancy review is a good idea. I'm in HR and have seen so many resumes that she spoke of in her post. Absolutely amazing at what comes in . . . but as Nancy said, you will definitely be head and neck above most of your fellow co-students :7

Don't fret, it will all work out for you. Remember the word "karma"?

Thank You Girls:)
I haven't had a chance to start on the resume yet,its been crazy around here the last couple of days(have a two yr old and 6yr old;-)) so as soon as I do get some time and get it done,I will definitely let Miss Nancy look it over!:D

I plan on going to my schools library and doing some research Monday(after class)

Although I understand what Beavs is saying about being careful of the internet, I have to agree with Jacque. It doesn't matter where you pick up your wording. You can find good lines and good buzz words anywhere, and Google is a great place to start. And using job websites like monster is a great idea too.

Of course, if you can find a book containing resumes for your profession, that's going to be your best bet. My bookshelves are lined with books called "Resumes for Lawyers" and such. While I've never used any one template wholesale, the books give me ideas and wording.

Now I need to contact Beavs about all that networking stuff! I'm terrible at it. I'd rather write resumes all day then go to one networking event. Beavs, help!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.