Advice on a 1-month pre-event rotation

tricia

Cathlete
Hi everyone -

I'm hoping to get Fitnessfreak and/or anyone else who enjoys making rotations up to throw me some ideas for my next 4 weeks to prepare for a Mud Run.

My DH talked me into it, and now I don't see a way out. :D This is the Marine Corps. event that has you running from obstacle to obstacle, through mud pits, swinging on ropes to cross a water hole, crawling through culverts on hands and knees, climbing over a 5 foot high wall, a 10' high wall that must be done as a team, crawling under logs submerged in watery mud - you get the drift!

So I need to incorporate workouts that help me move my own body, include explosive jumps (perhaps HIIT training?), get my upper body and core prepped to hoist me and my team up and over things, and running/cardio endurance. Is there any hope? Whatever any of you suggest - even if it's just workouts to throw in the mix if not a full-blown rotation, I'm grateful for any ideas. I'm thinking I may want to do 2 daily workouts to prepare for the intensity of it, but not sure if that will work or backfire. (The Mud-Run is April 21st, by the way.)

Thanks,

Hi Tricia,

I'm not an expert in making up rotations, but I can try and help.
If I were going to do this Mud Run (which sounds incredibly hard and awesome. Kuddos to you for doing this!) I would do something like this:

Since it's pretty much bootcamp (but to a whole other level :eek:) I would for sure get in 2 days of Cathe bootcamp.

Keep in mind this a rotation you can adjust to suit your schedule. You can add a stretching/yoga/rest day whenever you need it (not necessarily on day 7). The Imax & hiit are great for explosive plyo moves and give you strength in the lower body as well as optimal cardio conditioning.

Day 1 - Total Body strength (i.e- Muscle Max, STS TB ect)
Day 2- Any Imax or CCC
Day 3- Drill Max
Day 4- Any Hiit plus core based w/o
Day 5- Total Body endurance (i.e- High Reps, Muscle Endurance)
Day 6- Bootcamp (from the Intensity series or 4DS)
Day 7- Yoga/stretching or 45min Steady state cardio or both

The reason I included both strength & endurance w/o's, is I find this makes the muscles very responsive. I would try to get in pull-ups or chin-ups during your weight session since you mentioned hoisting you and your team up and over things :eek:. Also, do you have a rock climbing wall you can practice on? (there are plenty of indoor facilities that offer this). I did this once and it totally whipped my butt!! A lot harder than it looks, very challenging.

HTH a bit! Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Natasha

Thanks, Natasha

Hi Natasha -

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure where to start, and I love what you've come up with! Boot Camp is definitely going to be on the schedule. ;)

We had to adjust our schedule because my daughter's Girls On The Run Coach mentioned that it might be a bit much to do the Mud Run on Saturday, then her 5k on Sunday (!), so we found one on June 2nd that we can do. That gives me a great time-frame to get ready for the Mud Run. (Definitely to my advantage. :p)

Thanks again for your help! I'll try to pop in here and let you know how I'm doing. (Getting online has taken a back-seat to life lately. Ah, spring!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.