Advice for the unflexible

rachel132

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! My DH is going to give STS a try. I'm worried he'll get frustrated because he is so unflexible he can't even tough his toes. I don't think he could do a squat in the correct position or if so, he'd barely go down. I'd like to give him some tips on format, but I'm not sure of the answer. I assume, he should do a sqaut as low as he can in correct formant, but what if its only an inch down? Is that going to doing anything to work his glutes and legs? I'm also going to sugges he do stretching 3 times a week to help increase his flexibilty but honestly, I've never seen anyone stiff. He claims its from when he was on a rowing team in high school? Any advice?

Sonja

Hi Sonja! That's wonderful that your hubby is going to give STS a try. I'd like to see him work on his flexibilty either before he starts STS or right along with it. He should not add weight to any exercise that he can not perform with proper technique. Then once he understands the movement and has good technique he can go through the range of motion that his body will safely allow at this time and also slowly add weights. Once the form fails, back off to less range of motion and less weight. It may take some time but it will be so worth it in the end.

The key is implementing a basic stretch program and sticking with it. If he does, (starting in as little as three to four weeks) he will already see a great improvement not only in his squats/lower body exercises, but in his overall quality of life. That is a promise!!!!

Here are my recommendations for a basic stretch program:

1) Use Static Stretching...(slowly moving your body into a position and holding it there for a set time)

2) Try to include all major muscle groups in your stretch period

3) Be fully warmed up before performing any stretch program

4) As a beginner, hold each stretch for 5 to 10 seconds

5) Rest muscle for about 10 to 15 seconds before the next stretch

6) Repeat the same stretch twice (of course with the rest between each)

7) Stretch as far as you comfortable can and go just to a point of slight discomfort...no further!

8) Aim to stretch for a total of 20 minute about 3 to 4 times per week.

PLEASE also have your DH watch the squat program of Meso three. I give EXTENSIVE form pointers on gaining and improving good technique between all of the 2.5 minute breaks. He will learn a lot. I share many things most people don't think of such as how calf stretching improves your squat technique, how to focus on your hips rather than your knees, etc.

Okay, I hope this helps. good luck to both of you :D

Hi Cathe! My DH is going to give STS a try. I'm worried he'll get frustrated because he is so unflexible he can't even tough his toes. I don't think he could do a squat in the correct position or if so, he'd barely go down. I'd like to give him some tips on format, but I'm not sure of the answer. I assume, he should do a sqaut as low as he can in correct formant, but what if its only an inch down? Is that going to doing anything to work his glutes and legs? I'm also going to sugges he do stretching 3 times a week to help increase his flexibilty but honestly, I've never seen anyone stiff. He claims its from when he was on a rowing team in high school? Any advice?

Sonja

How did you?

How did you get your husband to try STS with you? I've been begging and pleading and even showed him the SO CUTE home page that Cathe has up now. Any pointers on persuasion are much appreciated!

And the stretching tips are awesome, Cathe, thank you. He won't stretch either :)

Sonja, your DH might benefit from getting (if you don't have it already) and doing the Stretch Max workouts. I think they would be beneficial to someone who needs to build a base of flexibility, keeping Cathe's instructions listed above in mind. The music is very relaxing, and the "workouts" are very easy to follow.

HTH -

A-jock

ElleJay, My hubby hasn't actually started yet, but he tells me he's going to. I was thinking tomorrow. I need to actually do the first few videos with him to watch him and give form pointers as best I can. Its funny you mentioned the home page, because when I saw that I thought how cute and then immediately thought how much my husband would gasp at it.

I do have stretch max and thought maybe he could try that. I also like the extended streching on STS.

He might also want to check out "joint mobility".

Steve Maxwell has an excellent series of DVD's with joint mobility exercises in (I just tried out several segments today, and I feel great!) You can find them on Amazon. I think there are some clips on Youtube. (look up 'joint mobility').

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.