ADVANCED!!

lwd69

Cathlete
Poor Cathe... So many requests from such a large and adoring public. I have seen a lot of requests on the boards for beginner/intermediate workouts. Clearly, she's responding by producing LITE. I, for one, enthusiastically support her continued production of advanced workouts that I can't find anywhere else on the market. STS 2? It might be too big a production, but an even more advanced lifting routine plus complementary 'shocking cardio' would be fantastic. Phenomenal. Anyway, I just wanted to give my support for all her advanced productions to date, and any that might come in the future.

I agree with everyone here! There are lots of Beginner videos out there - I prefer any Cathe's Advanced DVD. Besides Cathe is an advanced fitness professional anyway. I personally would not buy a beginner video from Cathe. She's the best!!

I agree with every single post above. I would not loved cathe any other way therefore we should leave her to her level ! I am not referring to weight bonus segment sprinkled in recent series.

I love striving for intensity in a fun way. There aren't many out there Who can deliver.

I love being pushed by cathe Friedrich. I mean it in all form of meaning so bring on those push up.:p:p:cool:;)

Oh by the way, I love the new revamped forum. Thanks for the enhancement.

Last edited:
Just chiming in here to say yes please to another advanced, complete series. Let "everybody else" make the beginner/intermediate workouts, and let Cathe stick to being Cathe - which means an advanced approach to safe, effective, and balanced workouts.

"every body else"  ;) can make beginner. Let cathe do what she's Known for. Advanced. Many of us still have our heart to it, at our best safe ability.

People just need to leave her to it !

I kind of feel like I have to bump this to the top again, with all the requests for "easy" workouts. I will also note that since XTrain (which was more intermediate-advanced) many years ago, we have not really had a fully comprehensive "advanced" series. (*Maybe* Ripped with Hiit counts, but I don't count Strong and Sweaty, since it isn't really a comprehensive program) Meanwhile, we've already have had ICE and LITE, both of which are very comprehensive and versatile, but geared to intermediate. I have only ever bought Cathe because she does advanced workouts. You simply cannot get safe and effective workouts anywhere else, whereas the rest of the market is full of beginner and intermediate workouts. Beachbody has advanced programs, but I consider many of the Beachbody workouts not as safe as Cathe's.

I just did a Gym Style workout today (unplanned deviation from my current XTrain rotation due to a foot injury) and was blown away by how wiped out I was compared to the XTrain Burn Sets workouts which I have been doing. (I haven't done a Gym Styles rotation in many, many years) I have completely forgotten how much tougher Cathe workouts used to be.

So yes, can I place my vote again for a genuinely tough, advanced, comprehensive program with updated fitness science.

I feel like I can't repeat this enough - there are plenty of fitness instructors out there that produce beginner and intermediate workouts, and they do a fine job. But there is no one that does advanced like Cathe in a safe manner that is backed by science. Cathe has only so many hours in the day to devote to projects like the rest of us. Please, please, let her focus on what she does best - ADVANCED.

I agree. Cathe workouts historically have been the ones I turn to when I don't want to waste time with moves that don't challenge me. They do the job, do it well, and are fun to do. That requires great skill and a professionalism not seen in many others. Being a Cathlete has always implied a certain level of fitness. She should not dilute that.
I should also say that I was happy to have the ICE series after I had surgery last year. I couldn't do anything except light walking for three weeks, so I had to ease back into working out. I'm 68 and at that age you lose your conditioning within a week, so I needed to take gradual steps.

I agree that Cathe is the wizard of "advanced" workouts!!!

Honestly, after ICE, Fit Split, and LITE, I think we are due for a more advanced, comprehensive series. My ultimate dream would be STS 2 with shock cardio, or any type of Hiit/Liit cardio.

Just saying, it is easier (for me) to modify an advanced workout than it is to ramp up a beginner/intermediate workout. Bring on the advanced!!!

I have been doing STS non-stop with my own subs and creative heavy changes, and I'm blown away that I keep improving by increments even after 9 years. Nothing comes close except maybe Body Beast. I do not get the results with shorter workouts, or intermediate workouts, that includes cardio workouts. I'm astonished at those who want Cathe to change because they don't like crawling on the floor, or pull-ups, or are fearing the dread of going all out. I suggest subbing out the moves to a rebounder, or putting your own spin on some of the moves you dislike and leave the advanced moves and workouts to those who dig them. Example, I don't shop at Nordstom when I need to be at REI. Cathe, please come up with an *advanced* STS, without any of this lite stuff. There are a lot of very strong women on these forums of all ages that still want to advance. I'll be 60 in March and I'm lifting heavier and more precise then when I started in 2008. My STS sheets prove it.

I'm blown away that I keep improving by increments even after 9 years.
STS is simply, the BEST. It is worth every second of time it takes to do. If you want the most gains for the energy, time and money expended, this is it.

I, like many other posters, feel Cathe is gifted as an instructor. This is because she doesn't waste my time. Simply put - she delivers programs that give results. For me, the results are greatest with STS and I hope she someday does another similar program.

But I do like doing a variety of programs depending on my goals and my physical state at the time. Her other advanced programs are also very worthwhile for me. And I do some of the intermediate programs if I am returning after an injury or hiatus. Did some ICE workouts last week and they really fit the bill at the time. But, for me, once I have LITE, I will feel I own enough intermediate level workouts and would love for Cathe to produce more programs in the area where she excels beyond any other - advanced level, challenging workouts that give significant results.

I'll be 60 in March and I'm lifting heavier and more precise then when I started in 2008. My STS sheets prove it.

Good for you, DirtDiva! And yes, if it means pull-ups (sooooo difficult! owww!) and 100 push-ups I'm still in for it even though it's tough.

I too will be 60 on my next birthday, and thanks to a combo of heavy lifting, moderate lifting for endurance, hiit training, a sprinkling of serious steady state work (spin, step and kickbox), and a regular habit of stretching, I am in better shape than several decades ago. My STS sheets help me to really SEE the changes over time. But I do feel Cathe's other advanced workouts have also helped me stay motivated and make the gains I have seen. The intermediate workouts have helped me maintain during those times I wasn't set up for forward progress. But STS is foundational!

Good for you, DirtDiva! And yes, if it means pull-ups (sooooo difficult! owww!) and 100 push-ups I'm still in for it even though it's tough.

I too will be 60 on my next birthday, and thanks to a combo of heavy lifting, moderate lifting for endurance, hiit training, a sprinkling of serious steady state work (spin, step and kickbox), and a regular habit of stretching, I am in better shape than several decades ago. My STS sheets help me to really SEE the changes over time. But I do feel Cathe's other advanced workouts have also helped me stay motivated and make the gains I have seen. The intermediate workouts have helped me maintain during those times I wasn't set up for forward progress. But STS is foundational!

That was a great post! I absolutely agree there is a need for workouts in various intensity, slower days, steady state workouts, etc. I don't believe in over-training, that's for sure and amongst my riding buddies we have a motto... "walking is the future" (maybe the day will come when we can't ride) but not today! I certainly have had significant down time due to injury, and the Low Impact and Ice series was a lifesaver a few years back. That said, I think Cathe is the only one left that can produce advanced workouts on DVD and I'm concerned that she will ramp down and focus mainly on beginner to intermediate workouts, and step workouts for cardio (no offense its my problem I'm clumsy).

Regarding HIIT workouts, if I can't be outside, I have my bike on a smart trainer and use the app Zwift and Peloton for intense cardio, so I really don't need DVD workouts, but I sure love Cathe's style and I want them so difficult I can't swallow that sip of water...and she can do that with a smile!

Indeed...every *body* is different and there is success in many training plans. Sometimes I wish I could relax and not push so hard, but the challenge is what excites me and I believe this is what helps my body adapt to the incremental changes.

That was a great post! I absolutely agree there is a need for workouts in various intensity, slower days, steady state workouts, etc. I don't believe in over-training, that's for sure and amongst my riding buddies we have a motto... "walking is the future" (maybe the day will come when we can't ride) but not today! I certainly have had significant down time due to injury, and the Low Impact and Ice series was a lifesaver a few years back. That said, I think Cathe is the only one left that can produce advanced workouts on DVD and I'm concerned that she will ramp down and focus mainly on beginner to intermediate workouts, and step workouts for cardio (no offense its my problem I'm clumsy).

Regarding HIIT workouts, if I can't be outside, I have my bike on a smart trainer and use the app Zwift and Peloton for intense cardio, so I really don't need DVD workouts, but I sure love Cathe's style and I want them so difficult I can't swallow that sip of water...and she can do that with a smile!

Indeed...every *body* is different and there is success in many training plans. Sometimes I wish I could relax and not push so hard, but the challenge is what excites me and I believe this is what helps my body adapt to the incremental changes.
Another 60 something here. Right on ladies, I agree with you 100%!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.