Advanced exercisers going to less working out time?

RhiannonW

Cathlete
Have any of you advanced exercisers tried a system of lessening your workout times like Body For Life suggests? What were your results? I would think it would result in less endurance and less calorie burning.

I agree with you. I don't think you ever get more by doing less. I can really tell a difference if I do a lighter workout with weights or shorter cardio for any length of time. I have to build back up to where I was - which tells me those "less is more" theories aren't true, at least for me!

I can really tell a difference if I do a lighter workout
>with weights or shorter cardio for any length of time. I have
>to build back up to where I was - which tells me those "less
>is more" theories aren't true, at least for me!

I think "less AND more" is "more" if you spend less time hefting more weight (isn't the shorter workout supposed to correspond to an increase in intensity?

That's the key. The workouts are shorter but the intensity is very high. Body for Life cardio workouts are all intervals. Twenty mins. of intervals 3 times a week is plenty.
Alot of people just do cardio at the same intensities all the time. I see it every day. Just logging miles or time without moving your heartrate around is a waste of time in the end.
And from what I have seen there are alot of people doing 45 mins or 60 mins of cardio at very light or only semi-hard intensities. Those people are getting very little in return for all that time spent on working out. And these are usually the same people who look the same as they did the day they started working out even after working out for years.
Trevor:)

I'm not really familiar with the Body for Life concepts, but I know from personal experience that when I don't give 100% to my workouts, and when I don't consistently do those hour long ones, it shows. One 45 minute one per week is the most I can get away with. I don't build definition as quickly, and I seem to lose some aerobic endurance as well. I don't know if it's my age (I'm 46), or my diet, or what, but my body needs those 60 minutes of whatever I'm doing - be it cardio or weights, and it needs it at least 4 days a week in order for me to see results with the tape measure every month, and in the mirror. I still believe that each of us needs to do what works for our own individual lifestyles, body types, schedules, etc. We are each unique, and what may work for one person won't necessarily work for another. I also know I didn't really understand what it meant to be an "advanced" exerciser until I found Cathe!! Her workouts keep me challenged, and motivated, and I LOVE the results!! :) :) :) :) :) The hour flies by, and some days I feel I can even do two!!

Carol
:)

I am not doing BFL but I have been forced to back off cardio for feet's sake! I took a long depressed hiatus from exercise but have been doing shorter, more moderate cardio since I started back in and emphasizing strength training. I am fifteen pounds lighter than I was a year ago, partly due to more protein in my diet. (I also lost 8 pounds after oral and foot surgeries.) I eat it at every meal. I am still on a fiarly high carb diet. I just don't feel the cravings I used to. I actually wish I could have lost some of my intensity junkie mentality a long time ago, because for me it has meant injury and the necessity to slow down. Happily, my fitness level hasn't suffered at all!
Bobbi
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chicks rule!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/smilejap.gif

Trevor
What cathe tapes would you recommend for this type of training strictly like IMax 1 and 2 what other tapes I really like step and always step at 8 inches I have all of Cathes tapes and the terminator DVD and am going to purchase the timesavor DVD right now I ma not real nuts about kick boxing
Thanks again I really value your input
Lisa
I have been doin intensity on the treadmill like you suggested Oh can you increase the incline and go at a lower pace would that be also intensity interval Or is it better to go just faster?

I have only ever done the Imax tapes of Cathe's to be honest. Simply becaue they are interval workouts.
Yes, you can change the incline to get your heart rate moving around too. I do that myself. Anything that moves the heart rate around works fine.
Trevor :)

thank you Trevor
I find that running is just too hard on th ejoints i am afraid I iwll fall off Do you use a heart rate monitor?
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I don't use a monitor. I do a six second count while holding my finger to my carotid artery in my neck. I use the Karvonen formula to calculate my max and min for my workout range.
Trevor:)

Trevor,

I think it depends a lot on what kind of activity you can add aside from workout time. Some people's jobs contain a lot of inadvertent activity, for example a landscape gardener or a house painter. These people probably benefit more from short intense workouts.

On the other hand, someone with a more sedentary job I think needs more workout time, just for safety. Some of the low intensity work is good just to get the blood flowing and the joints moving.

I think it is unsafe to sit for long periods and then do very intense workouts. There should be more homogeneity (sp?) in the daily activity schedule, for longevity of fitness.

But you know that already! It's just that many people don't think about that.

-Connie

>Trevor,
>
>I think it depends a lot on what kind of activity you can add
>aside from workout time. Some people's jobs contain a lot of
>inadvertent activity, for example a landscape gardener or a
>house painter. These people probably benefit more from short
>intense workouts.
>
>On the other hand, someone with a more sedentary job I think
>needs more workout time, just for safety. Some of the low
>intensity work is good just to get the blood flowing and the
>joints moving.
>
>I think it is unsafe to sit for long periods and then do very
>intense workouts. There should be more homogeneity (sp?) in
>the daily activity schedule, for longevity of fitness.
>
>But you know that already! It's just that many people don't
>think about that.
>
>-Connie

Wonderful points Connie. I also think that we have a tendency to equate the word "results" with calorie/fat burning. There are a lot of benefits to cardio that I think are missed (or at least shortchanged) by only doing HIIT for short spans throughout week.

For example:

- I need all the seretonin I can get! For me, longer workouts help alleviate depression.

- I want endurance. I want to be able to meander around on a bike all day or hike for hours with friends. My type of workouts facilitate that.

- I need to be having fun! I like doing longer choreographed workouts. It's my play time.

- It's good for my heart.

There are plenty more reasons why lower intensity, longer workouts are not a waste of time, IMO.

:) Willow

---------------------------------------
Non-smoker since June 02/02!!

Willow:

thank you so much for emphasising the other reasons why people work out, at varying intensities. You are a woman aafter my own heart! Sometimes I feel like freak because, like you, I am not exercising during a longer workout for weight loss: simply to get some valuable "me" time, to get my life in order and boost serotonin!!!

Thanks for reminding us all,

Clare

and congrats on still being a non-smoker! All I am proud of is that I have been caffeine-free for 3 weeks now! Or is it four? I forget.

I agree with all that's been said. I do things outside like mountain biking and rollerblading which can be up to 4 hours long. Those are my fun "workouts". When I want to actually work my heart though, I need to move that rate around at high intensities.
It's interesting that although I am doing more interval work than ever my endurance is still there I think. I may have lost a little because I am 12 pounds heavier now thru heavy lifting but I would have no trouble running a 10k for instance. Or even a marathon if I so choose.
It's important to remember that my time is extremely limited also. I have 2 kids, 50 hr a week job, in addition to all of the stuff that comes with owning a house, cars, etc. I am sure alot of you know what I mean. So intervals work well time - wise too.

I'm under the impression that you can either workout hard and short, or long and less intense. Take sprinting for example...you can't sprint for half hour, but you can run/jog/bike, etc... for that long easy... and in my opinion, spinters have far better bodies than runners, etc...or extreme endurance people (were talknig male bodies here!)...

I agree with that Wayne. Athletes who compete in explosive type cardio events, like track bikers or sprinters, look better to me. And this is because they train for more muscle. At least the track bikers do from what I have read.
Long distance runners tend to be skinny because their bodies consume so much of themselves during the long, long periods of cardio.
I'd rather see more muscle myself but that's just my opinion. There's nothing better looking or sexier to me than a woman with good definition and moderate muscle. Not huge muscles mind you, but good definition.
Again it all depends on your goals as we all know.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.