adjustable weights to use for STS

rgs424

Cathlete
OK, I am going to post this in 2 sections of the forum. I am about to start STS strength for first time. I did my 1-rep max for meso 1 week 1. I looked at my 'workout sheet' and it is calling for weights I don't have, like I need to use a 17 pound weight for a couple of exercises.

I wanted to buy one of those adjustable barbells. Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand and where to buy?

THANK YOU !!!

I bought the BowFlex SelectTechs (the ones that go up to 50#) when I was doing CLX, and I really like them. My highest dumbbell set is 25#, and I have a single 30#, but needed heavier for CLX. While I like the compactness of normal dumbbells and use the ones I have when I can, the SelectTechs are a great space saving solution and work really well for the very heavy stuff.

I just posted this in the "Open Discussion" forum; maybe I should have put it here instead! Anyway, after much research, study and gnashing of teeth, I think I found the perfect solution for me. Maybe it will work for you!

Perfect incremental weight increase solution!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been gearing up to start STS at the New Year; gathering my equipment, following threads and getting psyched!

I learned from the threads that the incremental weight increases dictated by the "one rep max" test on the work-out cards can be awkward dumbell sizes (ie 7 lbs, 13 lbs....etc) and there has been a lot of discussion on the best way to do this. After a LOT of research of my own, I have found a great option that has not shown up in the threads yet.

I purchased "Pace weights" online from www.paceweights.com. They are 1/2 lb magnets that you easily attach to metal barbell plates or dumbells. You can purchase them individually or in sets of 9 (=4 1/2 lb) for $56.95 or a set of 18 (=9 1/2 lbs total) for $88.95. Price includes a very handy carrying case. (you can purchase it without the case which saves you about $20, but after seeing it, I would recommend getting the case) With tax, s&h my 18 piece set with case came to $118.

I "suggested" to DH that he get them for me for Christmas as I was going to get them regardless so he might as well get them for me and get the "credit"-so I just saw them yesterday. I am VERY, VERY pleased with it!!!

Note: these will not work on rubber-coated dumbells. They also work better on the hexagonal shaped weights than the round ones.

I hope this works for some of you other Catheletes out there!

Merry Christmas, and a healthy, happy New Year!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.