acid reflux

Tracy Sheehy

I hope someone can give me some feed back. I have suffered frm acid reflux for years and have been taking prilosec for the past couple years regulary. My husband kept telling me that if I lost weight that would help. I have lost 42 pounds over the last year and have increased my workouts by a lot. I went off the prilosec and within days it was back. I would like to get away from chemicals and try something natural. I have been hearing about apple cider vinegar....does anyone have any thoughts on this, or have any other natural remedies that I can try?

Thanks

Tracy

Tracy,

I have Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It sounds like that is what you have also. Even if you don't, what I'm about to tell you has helped me beyond chemical pills. I'm with you, the side effects of pills are astounding! Don't despair.

I've done some research on the net and found that taking Deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) is an alternative to taking pills. It's a chew tablet without the awful side effect of licorice root, that part of it is taken out. Also peppermint enzyme tablet chews. I cut them in quarters. At each meal I take 1/4 of each chew then again before bed. You can also take one or the other, you don't have to take both if you don't want to.

It also helps to watch what you eat, but even if you want to indulge a little, these tablets still, will get you through the awful symptoms.

I find this dosage is just right for me, but you may want to experiment on what works best for you.

Hope this works for you. It certainly does for me and what I found out, for many others as well.

Good luck,

Janie

Last edited:
I have read and heard that probiotics taken half an hour before meals can help. My husband has been doing that and its been helping him!

Jackie,

You reminded me of Dannon Greek Yogurt (I use plain) that I eat sometimes to also help with acid reflux. I think it has good bacteria culture in it (a probiotic).

Thanks for the reminder,

Janie

I use renew life products-- intestinew- every morning (heals the gut) and a 50 billion count probiotic, i also take her digest more ultra enzyme with protein.

I have a brother and a sister that have suffered with this for years and both have found help in very different ways. My brother used to take medications all the time to control his heart burn, and actually now controls it with chiorpractic care. When he is adjusted correctly, he says he doesn't have problems. My sister had taken prylosec for a long time and heard that perrier' would help. She gets it by the case at Costco and sips it in the evenings, around meal times if I remember right. She said it helps a ton. If you want I can ask her more specifically about it, I really can't remember exactly what she said she does, but I do know it has helped her a lot.

I don't know about apple cider vinegar for sure, but because it is so acidic, it seems counter-intuitive....I should think that would make it worse. Alot of people say baking soda with water (yuck) works, which would have the opposite effect of taking vinegar (soda is basic rather than acidic). Baking soda would have the same effect as Tums.

A few tips: don't eat or drink for a few hours before bedtime. No caffeine or carbonation after about 2 pm.

Good Luck.

Lovebeingfit,

I would b interested in the perrier. I will also try the licorice thing that the other cathlete recommended. Thanks for your input.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.