Abs Question for Cathe

Cathe I have an abs question for you.

I have been working out with you for about 3 years now. Last year when the 4 day split came out, I ordered it and did it almost weekly until STS came out and now I do STS faithfully, alternating with cardio and one of the abs workouts on the abs STS tape 3 days a week.

I have lost 57 pounds over the course of the last 3 years (exercising consistently the entire time) and you have made me look like never before!! I am 49 and did not look this sculpted at 18. SO THANKS!

However, when I do planks and sag (which I know you are not suppose to do but...). I have a strip of fat that hangs right down the middle from just below my chest to just my below my belly button. I think I am right around my goal weight (wear a size 6/8 and weigh 143 - my scale says I should be 140). You do EVERY variation of abs I can image. What is with the strip of fat and how do I get rid of it? I know I have been getting abs results because I had to have an ultrasound and she commented on how many ab muscles I have!

Thanks in advance for all you do support healthy lifestyles and to help me with this weird problem. You have changed my life!

Belly Sag

I am not Cathe, but I too have the same problem. I have been working out with Cathe now for over a year and a half ( and I mean, hard core ) I do the entire 'Kick Punch Crunch' DVD, All 73 minutes of 'Step, Jump, and Pump', both of which have a pretty challenging Core segments at the end. I also do Core Max and IMax2. I am 36 years old, 5 foot 4 inches and weigh 135,( I'm a size 3/4 thanks to Cathe) and 95% of the time I eat clean. A few weeks ago, I was doing the Planks at the end of SJP and just happened to look down and there it was. A pretty big bag of belly hanging there, a strip of fat ,,like you described. I also noticed however, that I was NOT holding in my abs as I should have and once I tightened up , pulled my abs back up into my spine, it seemed to disappear. I want to say that it's almost like 'relaxed muscle' and if you don't tighten up, it relaxes and actually looks like fat. I DO have some jiggle in the middle and know that that was part of the problem too. To get rid of that , I was told that there is no amount of cardio and weights that will take care of it alone. I was told though, that if I follow a clean diet, it will go away granted I combine it with cardio and weights. I have literally been told that the mid-section developes mostly with a very clean diet , and the best way to keep from getting the ole belly sag is watch the sodium ( known for bloating ) watch fat intake , watch the refined carbs ( White breads, pastas ) and eat clean. I am in week number two of following this rule ( God I miss my cheesecake ) but we'll see what happens. It sometimes it helps to know that others are in the same boat as you ! Any thoughs/advice Cathe ??

WOW, you sound just like me with your Cathe tapes and your belly sag! THANKS for letting me know that I am not alone! I appreciate the reply and the suggestions.

Not Cathe here,
The other poster is right on about diet, but the other thing that sounds familiar to what you describe is a diastasis recti. Many women (including Cathe!) develop this with pregnancy, and it's a the separation of your abs in the area that you're describing.

Just a thought. It may not be something that you can correct with regular exercise and diet.

I have never been pregnant but someone told me today maybe it is excess skin from being so overweight before and that is what it sort of looks like. Even though it looks relatively flat and firm when standing.

Thanks! everyone!

Hi! I'd bet that what you're looking at is the excess skin after losing so much weight! Congratulations to you!!!! You've been dedicated and consistent, and it's made a huge difference!!

I had my first pregnancy in 2000, then gained and lost 70 pounds between 2000 - 2003. I was 30-33 years old at the time. Despite being at a healthy weight now, I still have the loose skin from having been so stretched out (and another pregnancy in 2005). My solution: never do a prone plank in public :D

Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.