A Simple Recipe: Mix 1 part Workout with 2 parts Nutrition

hwc130

Cathlete
Simple, yes…easy, no. At least it’s not easy for me. I invite anyone who needs a nudge (or a swift kick) in the kitchen to join me on this thread. We’ll share workouts, recipes, successes and stumbles, a little humor, and reach our goals by helping each other.

A little bit about me:

I am a 47 year old wife and mother and have been a regular exerciser (5-6 days a week) since October of 2006. I was able to lose 35 pounds over the course of about a year (2006-2007) with the help of some at-home fitness dvd's. I stumbled upon Cathe's workouts about 2 years ago and was instantly hooked on everything about the workouts and the way Cathe presents them. I have done STS 3 times and am currently in the final week of Mesocycle 1 in my 4th round of STS. I love this program.

I kept that weight off for about 2 years and then it happened…I became lazy with my nutrition. After all, I'd worked so hard, I earned that second helping. I deserved that dessert. And let's not forget to celebrate good times (or commiserate bad times) with a cocktail...or two. I kept working out 5-6 days a week, but when you combine a few emotional life changes (job change for me), kids leaving for college, a few injuries that slowed me down, (and a few other excuses) to that less than stellar nutrition, and almost 20 of the 35 pounds I worked so hard to lose are back. Sad, but true. And it's my own fault. Sadder, but also true. When I had to buy a larger size pants last week, I decided enough was enough. It's time to be honest with myself.

I know what to do and I know how to do it. I just need to do it. Simple? Yep. Easy? Nope.

Let's go...

Helen

Thanks, Jane. :)

This morning I did Disc 6 - Legs. Yeah, I know it's out of order for week 3 of Meso 1, but I missed that workout last Friday due to an unexpected call to go to work. A busy weekend followed, blah, blah, blah.:rolleyes: Since yesterday's workout was upper body (Disc 10 - Chest, Shoulders, Biceps) and tomorrow's is also upper body (Disc 11 - Back & Tri's), I knew I could get my legs done today and have plenty of time for them to recover before hitting them again on Friday. PLUS...the added bonus of the tremendous afterburn from doing 3 resistance workouts on consecutive days.

Breakfast (about an hour before my workout) was plain oatmeal and an Eggland's Best poached egg. By the way, If you haven't tried Eggland's Best eggs, there really is a difference. :) I had protein shake after my workout and then a nice, big mixed greens salad with chicken and turkey for lunch with a splash of light balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I had a snack of black cherry Greek yogurt and a handful of plain almonds about 30 minutes ago.

My challenge will be dinner. My daughter has a softball game in about an hour that won't end until about 7:00 p.m. I'll let you know how it goes. The game and dinner. ;)

Helen

Way to work it, Helen! You've got great motivation going. Your work outs sound tough, but manageable. I'm sidelined right now with an injury, so I'm not able to lift any weights, & it's depressing me big-time. How did dinner & the game go?

Sorry about your injury, Jane. I've been dealing with bad shoulders for a few years now, and it's no fun! I hope you heal quickly!

Before I go on...everyone should know that I (and my husband) are HUGE baseball/softball fans. We love our St. Louis Cardinals (although they're not doing so well right now), but we really love our kids' teams. Our son plays baseball at Indiana State University and our youngest daughter plays select ball in the spring/summer and just started high school where she's playing softball. So...there will be a little bragging going on here...just a warning.;)

The softball game went well! Kelley's team won 8-4 and she had a fantastic game going 3 for 3 with a walk, two doubles and a single. She also had 3 RBI, so it was a very good day for her. She's just a freshman playing on the varsity squad, so we are all very excited.

Dinner was a success, too. We were tempted to go out for dinner after the game, but decided to go home and make whole wheat spaghetti with organic sauce, very lean ground beef and some steamed broccoli. It was almost 8:00 by the time we sat down to eat, but I took a smaller portion of the pasta (with plenty of the sauce) and a larger portion of the broccoli, so it was all good. I am trying to stay away from too many carbs later in the day and am definitely trying to eliminate "white" carbs.

I need to plan some slow cooker meals for softball days.

I am sore from yesterday's assault on my legs! But it hurts so good. I am getting a late start on today's workout, so I'd better get moving! Disc 11 is loaded and ready to go.:)

Helen

Workout's done! :) I love the heavy feeling my arms have after working the triceps.

I need a shower, and then I need to go through the 400+ pictures I've already taken of the softball games. We've only played six...:rolleyes: (Did I mention I'm a HUGE softball fan?)

Have a well hydrated day!

Helen

I'll have to check that out when I get a chance, Jane. Thanks for the information.

Yesterday's workout combined with Legs the day before has left me hobbling around. My entire body is sore...even my hair hurts! :p Today's workout will be cardio of some kind (not my favorite thing to do), but it will have to wait until after my haircut appointment.

I am feeling good about the way I've been eating, too. Yesterday was another successful day nutritionally, (beef/vegetable shish-ke-bobs for dinner) although I did cave into a popcorn craving while watching the Cardinals' game on television. I had a few handfuls and it just wasn't very good. Progress? Maybe.

AND...the Cardinals beat the Brewers last night and Tuesday night in Milwaukee picking up 2 games in the Central Division. Nice. :)

Today's challenges: Eat only whole foods and...get on and off the toilet without grab bars!!:eek:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! :DHelen

Just popping in to say that I agree with you!!

The nice young personal trainer who teaches the once a week class at the gym that I take.... an interesting mix of tai chi, yoga and pilates.... said a couple of weeks ago.

"You can't out-excercise a bad diet"

The story of my life..... :p

Very true, Susan! I don't eat bad food. I just eat too much too often. And too much of any food, even if it's nutritionally sound, will be stored as fat.

Haircut's done. Now it's time to work out. I'm going to give HiiT Pyramid a whirl. Lots of bang for the buck!

I've got an hour and a half drive to watch a softball double header this afternoon/evening. I'm going to pack a small cooler of eats for us so we won't be tempted to stop and eat on the way home. I'm trying to abide by "the 5 P's"...Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Have a great Thursday!
Helen

Hey Helen
I'll join you here! my major problemo is the eating...like you not too much bad stuff but toooooo much of the healthy stuff:eek:
Exercise is never really a problem since it is what helps me deal with the stress!

My goal this week since i gained an official 10 pounds since 2 years ago...its called creeping weight gain...it creeps up on you...1 pound here then 2 pounds next thing you know its 10! oh yeah my goal is to cut the snacking after supper or at least to limit it to fruits and veggies:D

today it has been great food wise.. however it is only 11AM:p

stephanie

*gasp*
*sputter*
*gasp* *gasp*

HiiT Double Wave Pyramid is done...I'm dripping. My favorite "Cathe-ism" in that 30 minute workout is at about the 20 minute mark when she says, "You can do anything for five seconds!" My silent response is always, "It ain't the next five seconds that's making me gasp for air! It's the previous 20 minutes!!"

And...welcome, Stephanie!:) We can help each other along!

About six months ago, I started reading a book called Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. I put it aside when we got busy with our summer running around, but picked it back up again a few days ago. It's a no nonsense, plain language book about how to do just that...burn the fat and feed the muscle.

Okay...I stink. It's time for a shower and then an early lunch.

Helen

I hope your hair hurts less - after the hair cut... LOL! I've had DOMS like that! Just want you to know that you're motivating me to eat better! I'm one of those that thinks, "OK, I can have some of this because I worked out so hard." WRONG! I have to start thinking, "I worked so hard, I don't want to have worked out for nothing." Have a safe & enjoyable road trip.

*gasp*
*sputter*
*gasp* *gasp*

HiiT Double Wave Pyramid is done...I'm dripping. My favorite "Cathe-ism" in that 30 minute workout is at about the 20 minute mark when she says, "You can do anything for five seconds!" My silent response is always, "It ain't the next five seconds that's making me gasp for air! It's the previous 20 minutes!!"

That's a toughy! But then, I think all of those HiiTs are tough. I finally got through 40/20 without modifying the other day. What a fist pump moment that was for me!

Jane: I have to modify a few of the exercises in all of the HiiT workouts due to a little tweak in my back. My tuck jumps are only slightly tucked, but I do what I can! Good for you on 40/20! It is a good feeling to feel like you've mastered something!

And thanks for saying I've motivated you. That's my goal...to motivate and BE motivated! It's working! :)

The softball games yesterday were successful! 2 games played, 2 games won, each by the 10 run rule. My daughter had a good day at the plate, going 6 for 6 with a double and 4 RBI. She's been working hard in the off season to prepare, and it appears all the sweat and sore muscles is paying off! :) (Her teammates call her "The Beast".) :cool:

My goal of only eating whole foods yesterday fell slightly short. I ate a chicken sandwich yesterday between games made with 2 slices of whole grain bread. Other than that, it was a perfect day nutritionally. Much better than the nacho's and hot dogs others were eating! The team was stopping at McDonald's on the way home and my daughter asked me if I had any sandwiches left. I gave her the last one, and she said, "Perfect. Now I won't have to eat that junk." :D I'll be packing another cooler for tomorrow's games.

Okay...today's workout is Disc 12 Legs. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about this one. I'm still a little sore from this week's workouts and know I'll be wanting those grab bars tomorrow! :)

Here we go! :DHelen

Hi everyone! Yesterday was pretty good. Motivated by Helen, (thanks, Helen!) I cooked up a nice stir-fry for dinner. Before dinner, I did HiiT 30/30. I was red in the face for an hour afterwords! LOL Had a good, fresh salad for lunch today. I have a problem in the evenings - I tend to snack if I stay up very late. But, I hate to go to bed at 8:00! LOL I hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend. I'm going to visit my parents. They were eating clean before the term was ever coined, so I'll be OK while there. Helen, I don't know how you get everything done - sounds like you're constantly on the go! But, if it's for something you love to do, I guess it's not such a hardship. How was your legs workout?

Yay for Jane! :) Keep the clean eating vibe going! You're motivating people, too! Yes, we are go, go, go all the time. I am fortunate to only work part-time, as a substitute teacher, and, although I rarely do, I can decline to work if I need to. Have a great time visiting your parents!:)

And Yay for our thread. We are now a "Hot Thread". Sssssssssssizzle! :p

My leg workout was Brutal with a capital B. I just plain ran out of gas with 7 exercises to go! :mad: Truth be told, I wanted to quit with about 12 to go, but I pushed on. I hit the wall with 7 to go and I just couldn't do any more. I had a decent breakfast...plain oatmeal, 2 soft boiled eggs on one slice whole wheat toast. BUT...I think I was a little short on fuel yesterday, which may have played a role in the amount of energy I had for today's leg workout. Ahhhh...live and learn!

This afternoon...softball practice, a few errands, a good dinner (beef stroganoff for the family; grilled salmon for me), and then early to bed if I can manage it.

Stay the course! :DHelen

In short, the weekend is not so great nutritionally. I still have one more day to salvage it, thanks to the holiday.

Yesterday's softball games were good. One lost, but one won for third place in a fairly tough tournament. I'm very proud of all the girls. It was over 100 degrees at game time and they played their hearts out.

I packed a cooler for us, so it was not a bad day eating wise. But...I packed cookies for the kids and ate a few. Gooey Butter Cookies...oh, Lord are they good. Gooey Butter Cake is a St. Louis thing and some genius turned the cake into easily transportable cookies!

All 3 of our kids were home for the weekend. We just said goodbye to our son, who is on his way back to Terre Haute, Indiana. This is their last weekend before practices and workouts start with a vengeance, so he's going back a day early to prepare. He's barely out of the driveway and I miss him already.

We are spending the day tomorrow with friends. Barbecue, beverages, and just being lazy are on the schedule. I am supposed to be in Recovery Week for STS, but am really considering doing Week 1 of Meso 1 with very light weights instead. Any thoughts?

Enjoy the holiday. Travel safely! :DHelen

Goodmorning ladies

So so weekend for me, we went to a eco friendly, bio bed and breakfast to celebrate our 10th anniversary. So for breakfast we had "Clean" foods that weren't necessarily great for the waist line! but heck they were "clean" and Saturday we spent the day at a spa...note to self: repeat as often as possible:D Unfortunately the healthiness stopped there..we then had wine and fritos in bed!:eek:

Exercise wise I am also finished disc 12 from sts! I had planned it, so that when the new low impact series tentatively arrived i could work it in...I am in the exact same boat as you Helen! I was also tempted to continue but have decided to keep to the schedule so i don't get brunt out. I figure if you were fried with the legs workout last week maybe you should give your body a teeny rest so it doesn't take revenge on you;)

This week I have a cardio week planned, hopefully that will help show my sts muscles better if i can get rid of the naughty layer of fat on top of them:p

Jane: I was laughing so hard when you mentioned the late night snacking and going to bed early.. I am a PE teacher and have been off for the summer. Since we started back 3 weeks ago I have been hitting the sack BEFORE my kids (14-8-7) almost every night at 8pm! I forget evey september how tired and wiped out i get at the beginning of the school year:eek:

Today my goal is to do some sort of cardio (Sat and Sunday were complete no work-out days for me...does a couples massage count;))
Food wise: Try to eat better than yesterday

bbl
stephanie

Stephanie: You are right. I'll lay off the weights this week, as difficult as that may be, and stick to cardio and yoga.

I feel like the weekend was a rendition of "The 12 Days of Christmas" listing all the things I ate and drank over the course of the weekend. "...3 days off, too many cookies, 4 glasses of wine, 2 ice cold beers, and a platefull of barbecued ribs..." Holy cow, was I feeling the gluttony last night!! I hope all of you did better than I did.

Some way, somehow, I need to be able to stop myself from overdoing. I KNOW that one cookie leads to two. I have to be able to NOT eat the first one and I'll be fine. Stop before I start.

Our weather went from 102* on Saturday to 78* on Sunday. Our high temps are only supposed to be in the mid-70's all week. I'll take it!

MMA Boxing here I come. Have a great day, all! :DHelen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.