6 Month Challenge mini progress report.....

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Hi guys,

I thought if anyone else was having the withdrawal I was it might be helpful to have a mid-week progress report! :)

Tuesday night (day 4 ice cream free) was horrible for me. I felt like I was actually having some sort of real withdrawal symptoms and maybe I was considering the sugar content of ice cream, but it was horrible. At one point I literally gripped the edges of my hubby's tee shirt and shook him violently and screamed at him, "GO GET ME SOME FREAKIN' ICE CREAM NNNNNOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!" And he looked at me with wide eyes and just smiled and said, "no sweetie, you don't want ice cream, you told me to be strong for you, so now I'm your strength!" Well, I could have shaken his teeth right out of his mouth at that point! I actually begged him to get me some ice cream! But he stood firm, and kept reminding me that I wanted to give up ice cream for 6 months, that this was just a phase and I would get through it without the ice cream. Well, for the next 1/2 hour I threatened that poor man with everything from a divorce to severing his "male member" in his sleep, but he just sat with me and kept calmly reminding me of my goals and how far I've come, and that I could defeat this craving. It worked, I'm still ice cream free on day 6! :) I have apologized for my behavior since that little incident, and been "extra sweet" to my hubby, but I thought about some of you guys and was wondering if you were going through any type of initial "separation anxiety" this first week.

I really hope you guys are getting through it with more sanity that I, but just in case you need to vent, need support or an "atta girl!" I posted this for you! :)

Donna
Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

Oh Donna,
Your little story had me doing lots of laughing. What a great DH you have - my DH is the same, he always likes to remind me in moments of weaknesses that I am not supposed to be eating that stuff, and that no, I am not going out to the shop to buy you it and don't you just want to SCREAM when they say that, because that is NOT what you want to hear ! :7 LOL
You are doing really well, Donna, and it is almost the end of our first week on the Six Month Challenge ! I so far haven't had any take aways (which I think in America is known as Fast Food) since last Thursday (Hallowe'en), so I am patting myself on the back.
Keep going Donna, we are doing really well !

Anna :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-02 AT 04:15PM (Est)[/font][p]Gee Donna.. I'm sorry you're having a tough time. But does it help to know that I know how you feel? You were a better woman than I. Something must have been in the air Tuesday. I must confess [font size="1"]that Tuesday night I had TWO ice cream cones with mint oreo ice cream.[/font] I guess that was one for me and one for you. My husband acted like he was going to say something but he knows better and just raised his eyebrow at me.

On a more positive note though I've given up sugar with minimal side cravings. I feel like I should give up something more significant. Since I've limited my ice cream splurges to once per month (and I used to be a dish per day gal) I'm worried that if I say no ice cream ever that it'll be all I think about and I'll end up eating the rest of the house in an attempt to avoid it.

So, here goes... NO MORE ICE CREAM FOR THE REST OF 2002! There I said it! Wish me luck!

Okay.. slightly OT but in the spirit of 'trying harder' (which is what this has all been about for me) I added risers to my step this morning. Granted, I was doing Step Jam but this is the first time in the 2 years that I've been doing step that I've used the risers due to sore knees. I realized this weekend after actually having the nerve to do plyo scissors that my knees don't ache anymore... I just had to share with you guys 'cause I was so excited this morning!! I emailed my mom and sis but got no response :( Thanks for listening.

PS Anna Keep up the good work!

- Sharon

Anna: Just wanted to share with you that you have now got me calling fast food "take aways." Don't know how it happened, but a few weeks ago I just started calling it that and it stuck!?
Sounds like you've got the willpower for all of us! :)

Sharon: You can really feel the difference when you add the risers! 2" is a big deal! Congrats! :)
I wish you luck on the I.C. give up! And maybe that little bit of ice cream has helped you with giving up the added sugar? I think my body went into shock behind the lack of ice cream! Like, "what the h--l is she doing to us now?" type of thing! But we'll be okay, we'll make it!

Donna

I also am ice cream free! My hard day was when I was craving ice cream AND brownies. I was getting all set to make brownies when I realized we didn't have any ice cream. Well what is the point of eating brownies with no ice cream? None in my opinion. So I just put the box away and grumbled out of the kitchen "Darn those ladies at Cathe!" That has been my hardest day, but I am glad there was no ice cream in the house. Instead of my nightly bowl I have been doing either yoga or pilates in the evening. Quite a healthy substitution! I hope it will stick. Anna, Donna and Sharon- keep up the fabulous work as well. I would type more, but my little baby just woke up and is very hungry. Stay strong! Love, Heather

Heather......................

We could clearly have been bestfriends Heather! :)

When I read your statement about, "why make brownies if you can't have ice cream?" I did a Homer Simpson drool at just the thought of brownies and ice cream! They do make quite the tasty treat huh?
Umm Heather, I don't think we're suppose to glorify this behavior, so I'd better stop here! :)

Donna

RE: Heather......................

This is SO cool to have sweets freaks like me here!! You go Donna!! Maybe one day soon I will make the same commitment. (Not now though, cuz I have a gallon of ice cream in my fridge as we speak!:):)

Janice

Janice......

That was cruel Janice! :(

But enjoy your ice cream for me too! :)

Donna

RE: Janice......

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-02 AT 01:07AM (Est)[/font][p]Having a really really hard time but sticking with it! I am having major withdraws and trying to stay away from the kitchen at night which is my hardest time.

Want to hear how totally crazy I am this week? I have been soooooo tired at night and DH has not been happy about it (wink wink, use your imagination here) but yet even though I'm too tired for what he wants, I have never been too tired to stay up late and eat sweets LOL!!! My standard line is "If you spent all day with a 3 year old, 5 year old, and 4 month old baby you would be too tired too" Well this week I have not been turning down his advances so this 6 month pack to give up my sweets/icecream has made DH a VERY happy man - Hey, at least it has kept my mind off the sweets :) Anything to distract me from the kitchen is a good thing :)

Donna, I think my husband is loving you for your idea that keeps me out of the kitchen and desperate for distraction :)

Marci

Three cheers for your hubby! It's so nice that he's supportive, isn't it? You managed to live through these first few days, and the rest will get easier. One day at a time. Too bad there isn't an Ice Cream Anonymous meeting for you, but maybe these forum can be a pretend meeting.

"Hi, I'm Carol, and I'm an Ice Cream Freak. Today I'm going to the grocery store and walk right by the ice cream cases."

Just Do It! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.