55 years old -depressed...

susan57

I am 55 years old and haven't worked out in awhile besides walking. Due to illness with our Down Syndrome son,my Dad passed and now my husband has had open heart sugery, I am out of shape. I use to run and lift weights in the gym. The gym made me huge!! I have Cathe's gym style VCR tapes thats a long time ago LOL, I need to start doing something that will change this old menopause body. Any recommendations. I love to walk but I really only have about an hour a day to devote to exercise. I am so confused on what to do anymore. Sometimes I am just about ready to give up and be fat and old. I have gained 20 pounds from all the families hospital stays. The only series I have done is P-90 X 10 years ago and it bulked me up, and Debbie Seibers slim in 6 it is a lot of circuit training. I really need help on what to order..My legs look awful. I want even go to the pool in our backyard anymore in front of our children, Any advice??? Thank you in advance.

The new Low Impact Series might be just what you need. It will be easier on your joints since you haven't been working out a lot recently. What sort of equipment do you have? If you have a step, LIS Low Impact Challenge might be a good start. LIS Slide and Glide is also awesome and you can do it without the disks if you don't want to buy them (or you could pick up furniture gliders at your local home store for a cheaper option). And don't forget that a little weight training goes a long way. LIS Total Body Trisets requires only a few light to medium dumbbells, a stability ball (you could probably get away without one), and a pair of paper or plastic cups.

Awh plaza don't give up. I do have a sister who was 40 pounds over and she started eating paleontology and walk jog intervals and light weights she is 55 she lost it all 2 yes ago. She is so happy now. She runs Marathons. I keep telling myself I'm 42 surly if. She can do this so can I. I haven't lost yet but I'm not giving up. You can do this. You may have to start with cathe low impact circuit and low impact step and the basic step and body fusion. I think utterly depends on how out of shape to. The LIS is low impact but some are hard but get it and do so many minutes til u can go longer. It is a good series cause its modifiable and you can make it harder as you get stronger.
Iim so sorry you have been going through so much. Now you have to take care of you.

Don't give up, no matter what! The fact that you are walking is great, just keep that up. The suggestion to try the Low Impact series is a good one -- if you were to do just one, I would suggest Turbo Barre. It's so different from the traditional weight training that you said had bulked you up. It might engage your mind as well --- and lift your spirits, in addition to whatever else you might want lifted!;)

I "second" the Low Impact Series recommendations. They are somehow "happy" workouts. They might get your good endorphines going again and be just what you need. I'd buy "Afterburn," "Athletic Training," "Cardio Supersets," and "Slide and Glide." Hope you're soon sweating and smiling. You're due for some GOOD times. . .

Dear Susan, I feel for you. I am also going through menopause. There were times when my body was changing and seemed out of control. Adding in loses, work, and family stresses makes it even harder. I have always eaten pretty clean, exercised and kept in shape, but a couple of months ago, it just was not working. When Janie asked for Cathe's input on bodybuilding, Cathe suggested a rotation and the Paleo diet. Well, I am gradually making the change to Paleo and this morning I can actually see myself leaning up. Of course I continue my cardio and weight training rotations, but going Paleo is making a huge difference. My mood is much better and believe it or not I have much more mental clarity. That's so important in this stage of our lives. There is so much information out there, books, internet, blogs...but one of the greatest places to go is this website! Find your way! Don't give up! Be good to yourself! Most of all love yourself! Catherine

Susan:
I second the notion of buying the LI series. Also, you might want to try some of the Firm's "pink series" -- rated as "medium difficult" and not to hard to do. I sometines go off the wagon in the winter, anf find these a useful starting point before trying anything harder.

I was clinically depressed a long time ago, and to fight this, always think positive thoughts. When you do an excercize video, or takie a bisk walk, consuder it a positive development.
-- David

Susan, you came to the right place for advice. I couldn't agree more about the Low Impact Series! It is wonderful! They may be low impact but you will def get a great workout and have fun along the way! And, there is a LOT of lower body concentration. I know you will be thrilled with the series.

Thoughts & prayers for your hubby that he makes a speedy recovery.

BTW, hubby & I are doing the Gym Styles right now and I love them too! (Of course, there was never a Cathe workout I didn't like but GS is a FAV! STS is a Masterpiece!)

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.